Posted to alt.home.repair

Default does home depot's drug testing of employees prevent qualified people from working there?

you decide

Posted to alt.home.repair

"nowforsale" wrote in message
you decide

You mean you have to DO drugs to work at Home Depot?

-zero

Posted to alt.home.repair

"nowforsale" writes:

you decide

Heh... LOL.

That's a good question! Given that the folks in the trades aren't
exactly known for having normal percentages of drinkers and tokers,
one could certainly reason that folks with experience and know how
might get turned away at HD. But, at a retail outlet, do you really
wanna be dealing with the addict subset of otherwise knowledgeable
tradesfolk anyway? I mean, they let those folks operate forklifts
near customers and all.

But I'd have to think that it's a 2nd order effect at best, and that
lousy pay, corporate drive to show earnings and revenue growth, and of
course, us creating our own hell as consumers by consistently valuing
low prices over quality service is likely more to blame for the
difficulty of flagging down a knowledgeable person at Home Depot.

However I will say this:

You can much more easily find a HD associate that knows
something about home improvement than you can a Guitar Center
employee that knows jack **** about what they're selling. So
it could be worse!

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair

"nowforsale" wrote in message
you decide

From the experiences I have had with Home Depot employees, I would say that
drug usage is a REQUIREMENT for hiring.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"nowforsale" wrote in message
you decide

While on vacation, I was picking up something in a Home Depot in Mesa, AZ.
I overheard the manager thanking the one and only person checking out for
coming in on his day off. I asked the manager if help was hard to get. His
answer was yes..that they had even taken to trolling the shopping malls
looking for people who might want a job. And he said most of the people
they found, never showed up to work, even if they happened to pass the drug
test in the first place.

Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

No - but the low wages sure bias things in that direction.

Actually, the local HD has some pretty knowledgeable people in a couple of
departments (tools and electrical). I have learned to look for the guys who
appear to be way past retirement age. They probably are retired and work
there to supplement whatever they do get in retirement benefits.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It probably means more drug abusers will be unemployed and therefore
less able to afford Internet service. So, while in the privacy of
your own home doing drugs, you will be less likely to come here in
this public place and act like an idiot for no apparent reason.

It's kind of too bad your parents didn't teach you to avoid drug
abuse, so the rest of society has to take up the slack. And you
wonder why the police act like your daddy.

But there's always hope.

From: "nowforsale" nowforsale houston.rr.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 18:10:52 GMT

you decide

Posted to alt.home.repair

my home depot has some great knoledgable workers yeah the retired
workers are really good although some younger ones are very good.

the seasonal ones are often really bad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"nowforsale" wrote in message
you decide

Can't speak for HD, but I've had to pass on some good potential employees
because they failed or would not take a drug test.

I don't condone drug use of any sort, but the guy that smokes a joint or two
on Saturday night is far less of a problem than the one that shows up after
a night of drinking every day.

Hard drugs is a different story and no, I don't want to have any of them
working with or for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 22:52:55 GMT, John Doe
wrote:

It's kind of too bad your parents didn't teach you to avoid drug
abuse, so the rest of society has to take up the slack.

Yes, just drink, smoke and take prescription antidepressants like they
did, "drugs" are illegal.

god made some "drugs", humans made others, who you gonna trust?

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

nowforsale wrote:
you decide

Well, let's just say it's not doing a really stellar job of keeping out
the underqualified.

Posted to alt.home.repair

z wrote:
nowforsale wrote:
you decide

Well, let's just say it's not doing a really stellar job of keeping
out the underqualified.

But just how bad would the help be if they were afraid of going down certain
aisles because of the demons lurking behind the carpet samples?

Posted to alt.home.repair

hmm, would you drop your 20+$ an hour job for $7.50. and have to cut
out the drugs and alchohol?

Empresser #124457

The best Games

nowforsale wrote:
you decide

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
hmm, would you drop your 20+$ an hour job for $7.50. and have to cut
out the drugs and alchohol?

Empresser #124457

hahahaha one of the best answers yet

Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 24th 04 12:50 AM
A challenge for old house lovers Mike Mitchell UK diy 322 September 30th 04 01:29 AM
Home Depot Scorns Christian Groups Ben Siders Woodworking 63 August 26th 04 03:52 PM
Making a ruin into something habitable. Liz UK diy 140 August 12th 03 01:03 PM