Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Happiness is: ?

The new thread on tape measures got me to thinking on some woodshop specific
"Happiness is" scenarios ... here's one of my favorites:

Happiness is:

When your apron pocket tape measure, and the tape on your table saw fence,
agree to a RCH ... verified repeatedly by each and every cut!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
The new thread on tape measures got me to thinking on some woodshop specific
"Happiness is" scenarios ... here's one of my favorites:

Happiness is:

When your apron pocket tape measure, and the tape on your table saw fence,
agree to a RCH ... verified repeatedly by each and every cut!

How about this one:

Happiness is: When you tap that dovetailed joint together and there
isn't enough play to slip in a politicians honest streak.
Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

Swingman wrote:
The new thread on tape measures got me to thinking on some woodshop specific
"Happiness is" scenarios ... here's one of my favorites:

Happiness is:

When your apron pocket tape measure, and the tape on your table saw fence,
agree to a RCH ... verified repeatedly by each and every cut!

--

I think I know what the "CH" part means, but the
"R" escapes me. Tom, whose happiness may directly correlate to his

Posted to rec.woodworking

"tom" wrote in message

I think I know what the "CH" part means, but the
"R" escapes me. Tom, whose happiness may directly correlate to his
ignorance.

Not woodshop specific, but a lifetime spent in the successful pursuit of
measuring the "R" factor would definitely qualify as happiness for many of
us wooddorkers.

Let's get back on topic now ... g

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4 Jan 2007 12:17:33 -0800, "tom" wrote:

Swingman wrote:
The new thread on tape measures got me to thinking on some woodshop specific
"Happiness is" scenarios ... here's one of my favorites:

Happiness is:

When your apron pocket tape measure, and the tape on your table saw fence,
agree to a RCH ... verified repeatedly by each and every cut!

I think I know what the "CH" part means, but the
"R" escapes me. Tom, whose happiness may directly correlate to his
ignorance.

If you have a sufficient and continuosly replaceable supply of RCHs to
repeatedly verify that measurement every cut, then I agree that you
have found what "happiness is..."

Dave Hall

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave Hall" wrote in message

If you have a sufficient and continuosly replaceable supply of RCHs

LOL You left out "variable"!

.... for the grass is always red.., errr, greener on the other side of the
fence.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . com, "tom" wrote:

I think I know what the "CH" part means, but the
"R" escapes me. Tom, whose happiness may directly correlate to his
ignorance.

Red.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. net...
In article . com, "tom"
wrote:

I think I know what the "CH" part means, but the
"R" escapes me. Tom, whose happiness may directly correlate to his
ignorance.

Red.

That only tell part of the story. Red is finer than other colors, meaning
more accuracy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
news
The new thread on tape measures got me to thinking on some woodshop
specific
"Happiness is" scenarios ... here's one of my favorites:

Happiness is:

When your apron pocket tape measure, and the tape on your table saw fence,
agree to a RCH ... verified repeatedly by each and every cut!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/07

In the last 12 months,
adding a 15" stationary planer, 1100 CFM canister dust collector, 22-44
Drum sander, LT16-HD Laguna BS, and a very large tool chest to ones
garage/shop and ending up with more room to work than I started with.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 14:01:12 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

The new thread on tape measures got me to thinking on some woodshop specific
"Happiness is" scenarios ... here's one of my favorites:

Happiness is:

When your apron pocket tape measure, and the tape on your table saw fence,
agree to a RCH ... verified repeatedly by each and every cut!

When you shake out your new load of #2 Common and find enough figured
wood to complete a job that you've had in the back of your mind for
almost five years.

Regards,

Tom Watson (Fairly Unbalanced)

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

Happiness is:

In the last 12 months,
adding a 15" stationary planer, 1100 CFM canister dust collector, 22-44
Drum sander, LT16-HD Laguna BS, and a very large tool chest to ones
garage/shop and ending up with more room to work than I started with.

You suck!!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/07

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

wrote:

I think I know what the "CH" part means, but the
"R" escapes me. Tom, whose happiness may directly correlate to his
ignorance.

Red.

That only tell part of the story. Red is finer than other colors, meaning
more accuracy.

In my bachelor years, I made the interesting discovery that "red' can be of
differing thicknesses.

Max (ah, those young years)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Leon" wrote

"Happiness is" scenarios ... here's one of my favorites:

Happiness is:

A new Oneida Super Gorilla dust collector. It really sucks.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 14:01:12 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

The new thread on tape measures got me to thinking on some woodshop
specific
"Happiness is" scenarios ... here's one of my favorites:

Happiness is:

When your apron pocket tape measure, and the tape on your table saw fence,
agree to a RCH ... verified repeatedly by each and every cut!

When you shake out your new load of #2 Common and find enough figured
wood to complete a job that you've had in the back of your mind for
almost five years.

When you explain to SWMBO that you really do need a new tool and she
understands why.

Allen

Posted to rec.woodworking

I always found true blonde to be the finest definable measurement to
me...

Happiness is the end of the job, happy clients, check in hand, and
everyone paid. Going to my buddy's shop to sit around his woodburning
stove on a cold night and take in a stogie and some good bourbon.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

I always found true blonde to be the finest definable measurement to
me...

Happiness is the end of the job, happy clients, check in hand, and
everyone paid. Going to my buddy's shop to sit around his woodburning
stove on a cold night and take in a stogie and some good bourbon.

Sounds like it was almost worth missing a good gumbo for?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
| The new thread on tape measures got me to thinking on some woodshop
| specific "Happiness is" scenarios ... here's one of my favorites:
|
| Happiness is:

After four years of slowly going broke making and trying to sell an
out-of-the-mainstream product ... having a positive mention in a
magazine article trigger a sudden onslaught of orders (not from the
expected home owners - but from home builders).

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message

Happiness is:

In the last 12 months,
adding a 15" stationary planer, 1100 CFM canister dust collector, 22-44
Drum sander, LT16-HD Laguna BS, and a very large tool chest to ones
garage/shop and ending up with more room to work than I started with.

You suck!!

It seems the trick is putting all the large stationary equipment on mobile
bases and along the walls.
Hopefully you will be sucking soon with a new shop. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 22:15:35 -0600, "Morris Dovey" wrote:

Swingman wrote:
| The new thread on tape measures got me to thinking on some woodshop
| specific "Happiness is" scenarios ... here's one of my favorites:
|
| Happiness is:

After four years of slowly going broke making and trying to sell an
out-of-the-mainstream product ... having a positive mention in a
magazine article trigger a sudden onslaught of orders (not from the
expected home owners - but from home builders).

Alright! Great to hear! Good luck to you on this new opportunity.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Sounds like it was almost worth missing a good gumbo for?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/07

Not worth missing HOMEMADE gumbo from a real cajun. Although I sure do
like poking at the fire and sipping that Evan Williams...

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

The subject line says it all.

Remember Tom the cat, of Tom and Jerry fame, shown standing beside a
martini glass, fully intoxicated with the tag line below:

Happiness is a tight pussy.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

if you do solid wood furniture
Happiness is, QS english sycamore (think fiddle back -actually
a maple) at $4/bf (ok so it was in a minimum quantity of 200bf
but ...)

if you make a lot of jigs and patterns
Happiness is, as much Finnish Birch Ply, mainly 3/4", "cut offs"
- 10-14" wide by 3-5 feet long, and 2'x2' squares, as you want
to load in your vehicle - for free AND club members who help
you load it up.

if you're a turner
Happiness is, first bandsaw mill cut offs of walnut and other
orchard tree with occassional burls - for free

if you're a tool phreak
Happiness is picking up a #45 with all the cutters AND a #78
complete for $150 at the Austin City Annual Garage Sale

If you're Space Challenged
Happiness is getting a place with a 600 sf detached "garage"

If you like kids in the shop
Happiness is kids coming over "to use the GIANT VACUUM
CLEANER" and making most of the dust, chips and shavings
disappear, along with spiders, spider webs and an occassional
fly - right out of the air. (I bought a Half Sized Broom which
the younger kids find fun to use. Tom Sawyer - great idea.

If you're a Shellac Fanatic
Happiness is getting a 10 pound order of dewaxed shellac
flakes in assorted flavors - all dewaxed of course, then
going thru the ritual of grind to powder, pour in a canning
jar full of alcohol, stirring, looking, stirring some more,
waiting a while, looking again, shaking the jar, . . .

If you're a neander
Happiness is hand cutting your first "light tight" dovetailed
drawer or box.

If you're a Normite
Happiness is a perfect cope and stick raised panel door -
that fits perfectly.

If you're a Scary Sharp (tm) Keen Edger
Happiness is "P" grade 1 micron diamond paper

There's more but I have to leave some for others.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:
| On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 22:15:35 -0600, "Morris Dovey"
| wrote:
|
|| Swingman wrote:
||| The new thread on tape measures got me to thinking on some
||| woodshop specific "Happiness is" scenarios ... here's one of my
||| favorites:
||| Happiness is:
|| After four years of slowly going broke making and trying to sell an
|| out-of-the-mainstream product ... having a positive mention in a
|| magazine article trigger a sudden onslaught of orders (not from the
|| expected home owners - but from home builders).
|

| Alright! Great to hear! Good luck to you on this new
| opportunity.

Thanks - I'm still hoping the light at the end of this tunnel isn't an
oncoming train. g

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Kraus wrote:

That only tell part of the story.**Red*is*finer*than*other*colors,*meaning
more accuracy.

But does a RCH maintain that accuracy it turns gray? Or is it
necessary to start over with a new supply source?

Only if the original source is deaf, dumb, and blind - or if you have a death
wish :-).

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , charlie b
wrote:

if you do solid wood furniture
Happiness is, QS english sycamore (think fiddle back -actually
a maple) at $4/bf (ok so it was in a minimum quantity of 200bf
but ...)

snip

If you're a wood turner
Happiness is, the sound of a chainsaw at a neighbor's after a windstorm.
Posted to rec.woodworking

When none of the brass screws in a 36" piano hinge snap off at the head.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

For me, yesterday.
My sister wiggled her toes and my mother came out of her Alzheimer fog
just long enough to talk to my sister over the phone. First time since
my sister's accident. It really lifted both of their spirits up
immensely, although they both realize they'll never see each other again.

Dork happiness? Got a Leigh DVD in the mail today. Almost 1-1/2 hours
worth of drool, coming up.
Dork happiness #2? My daughter want a piece of my woodworking for her
wedding present.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Way to go Rob. Thanks for sharing. Hope you didn't use up your annual drool
allocation.

Regards,

Rick

"Robatoy" wrote

For me, yesterday.
My sister wiggled her toes and my mother came out of her Alzheimer fog
just long enough to talk to my sister over the phone. First time since
my sister's accident. It really lifted both of their spirits up
immensely, although they both realize they'll never see each other again.

Dork happiness? Got a Leigh DVD in the mail today. Almost 1-1/2 hours
worth of drool, coming up.
Dork happiness #2? My daughter want a piece of my woodworking for her
wedding present.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 05:49:36 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

When none of the brass screws in a 36" piano hinge snap off at the head.

That is totally science fiction, bro.

You might as well have told me that James is dead.

Regards,

Tom Watson (Fairly Unbalanced)

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote in message

You might as well have told me that James is dead.

And ain't that a cry'n shame! ... the day before, on the 24th, my 21 year
old daughter had just loaned me _her_ new JB, 50 tune anthology to rip onto
my iPod, presaging the fact, but proving, once again, the girls got good
taste.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

When none of the brass screws in a 36" piano hinge snap off at the head.

I want to change my vote.

What he said - definitely.

Four wall hanging tool cabinet doors, four 28" piano hinges
comes to 9.33333333 lineal / linear feet of piano hinge
- The Definition of a woodworker's "challenge".

charlie b

ok so one of the four doors sagged a little - no one's perfect
Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlie b" wrote in message
Swingman wrote:

When none of the brass screws in a 36" piano hinge snap off at the head.

I want to change my vote.

What he said - definitely.

Four wall hanging tool cabinet doors, four 28" piano hinges
comes to 9.33333333 lineal / linear feet of piano hinge
- The Definition of a woodworker's "challenge".

Nope ... that's "masochism"!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

| For me, yesterday.
| My sister wiggled her toes

Fantastic! Is that an indication that she may be able to walk again?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:
Robatoy wrote:

| For me, yesterday.
| My sister wiggled her toes

Fantastic! Is that an indication that she may be able to walk again?

Well, it's a first sign of any improvement for 6 months. It sure gives
all of us a solid boost of hope.
She gets therapy twice every day at her house and she's in excellent
spirits and a fighter. So when something like this suddenly pops up,
it's progress. There are recoveries, of varying degrees, on record
which span years in some cases.

We're keeping the faith.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message

We're keeping the faith.

I made mention of her to my Mom when you updated us the other day ... if
prayer can help, she's got some more assistance.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

I made mention of her to my Mom when you updated us the other day ... if
prayer can help, she's got some more assistance.

My mom made rosaries for an order of nuns to give to people
they prayed for. When anyone got sick she'd enlist the aid
of those nuns. God apparently listens to nuns more, they're
THE God Lobbiests.

Wiggling toes doesn't sound like much until you realize that
they indicate that some, if not all the wiring is still there
and signals are getting through some of them now. THAT's
a very good sign that the rest of the wiring may still come
back on line.

Robatoy - you hang in there too.

By the yard it's hard. But by the inch - it's a cinch.

Your sister sounds like a pretty incredible person
and it sounds like it runs in the family because she's
got a pretty amazing brother.

Take care and keep us up to date. Lots of folks in
this group pulling for you all.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

charlie b wrote:
[snip]
God apparently listens to nuns more, they're
THE God Lobbiests.

Nuns have a way to get somebody's attention.*G*

Wiggling toes doesn't sound like much until you realize that
they indicate that some, if not all the wiring is still there
and signals are getting through some of them now. THAT's
a very good sign that the rest of the wiring may still come
back on line.

After her second surgery on C-5 & C-6, which was done in Kansas, they
managed to releave some of the pressure which they didn't quite get rid
of in Michigan. Her spinal cord was never 'severed' but
crushed/bruised/pinched.

Thank all you Wreckers for the support, I pass these posts on to her.
The hear that Swingman's mother and some nuns are added to the prayer
effort, puts a huge grin on my face....and sisters' as well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thank all you Wreckers for the support, I pass these posts on to her.

Here's another.

I don't post on the subject often, but I do think of her *every* time I go
up or down the stairs. I'm approaching 50 years old, and based on your
posts now *ALWAYS* use the handrail going up and down. If something takes
two hands, screw it, find another way. Keep one hand on the rail at all
times. If it still takes two hands, screw it twice. I aint gonna take it
up or down the stairs.

I know it's probably no consolation, but what happened to your sister has
affected my daily life. I think of her all the time (each time up and down
the stairs.) I hope somehow this is a benefit to her, and the rest of
y'all.

My prayers (of whatever dubious benefit) are with you.

-- Mark