Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wooden drawer/door pulls. looking for inspiration. JOAT?

There's nothing here
and now I fear
it's lack of inspiration

perhaps online
I'll find relief
from mental constipation.

Okay so I'm not Robert Browning. I am looking for ideas for original
wooden drawer and door pulls. These will be for my newly built kitchen
cabs. I have a few ideas but looking for others before I commit.
Anyone have any links to shop built pulls? I'm looking for something
really different but elegant, funky but beautiful, something with a WOW
factor. The doors and drawer faces are quarter sawn white oak that will
be finished in a light 'craftsman' style per Homestead Finishes web
site. Pulls themselves don't have to be any particular style really.
I know I don't want recessed pulls nor a 'turned' knob of any kind.
If you have a link or picture I sure would appreciate being able to
take a look see. Examples don't have to necessarily be for kitchen
cabs, just good inspiration.
Thanks
Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

I didn't even study it, but I understand you can run any outside profile
stock through a table saw at an angle to make a grip groove. I can say
where I got this info if desired. Didn't read the step(s) at the time. I
hate that. Probably 3 sentences.

Posted to rec.woodworking

thats not the kind of thing I'd like to experiment with. It was in a book.
One of about 40 in Nick Engler's Workshop Companion, Making..... Don't know
what the resultant underneath profile was. Must be a limit to the width
somehow since... Anything you can make on the outside.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Mon, Nov 27, 2006, 6:15pm (EST-3)
(Mike*in*Arkansas) doth query:
snip I am looking for ideas for original wooden drawer and door pulls.
snip I have a few ideas but looking for others before I commit.
snip Anyone have any links to shop built pulls? I'm looking for
something really different but elegant, funky but beautiful, something
with a WOW factor. snip

All the funky I've ran across always had more of en eww factor then
a wow factor.

Well, you stuck my name out there, so I guess that about obligates
me to respond. To me, something original would be something out of your
mine, not someone else's. However, I do count inspiration from other
places and doing it your was as original - I take it that's what you're
after. If that's the case, I'd review my own ideas first.

After that, I think what I'd do in your circumstances is call up
pictures of anteek furniture, from middyevil times, up to maybe the
1900s, and eyeball their pulls. After all, there's not many things done
that haven't been done before, but a lot of it was so long ago, it's
forgotten now. If I found something I liked, I'd either copy it, or
more likely modify it, to a greater or lesser degree, until I get
something I like.
Or, I might just drill a hole, thread a piece of rope thru, tie a
fancy knot on the end, and use that as a pull. Just depends on the mood
at the time, I've got a door I use a big nail as a pull. You asked.

JOAT
Democratic justice. One man, one rock.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Really nice looking table stoutman and nice pulls as well. Food for
thought as well as Lou's amd Bents suggestions. Joat, I was counting
on you for inspiration but a rope or nail won't pass the wifes muster.
Thank you all for the time you took to reply.
Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

This is pathetically vague, but a few years ago I recall an article in
(I THINK) FWW on making drawer pulls out of wood, which gave several
nice examples and showed how they were done. If it wasn't Fine
Woodworking then it might have been American Woodworker. Check their
online indexes.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

Brad

Mike in Arkansas wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks Brad, I did a FWW search just yesterday and their search engine
said the article was in issue 150. But, when I looked at the index for
that article it's not listed that I can find. Unfortunately that issue
is not available for ordering in any event. It did appear to be of
interest. As far as what my wife wanted, well she was for making some
hand hammered copper ones. That remains a possiblity since I have some
nice thick copper sheet for the back plates. Maybe a combination of
copper and wood. Guess I'll check ebay for that issue of FWW.
Mike

wrote:
This is pathetically vague, but a few years ago I recall an article in
(I THINK) FWW on making drawer pulls out of wood, which gave several
nice examples and showed how they were done. If it wasn't Fine
Woodworking then it might have been American Woodworker. Check their
online indexes.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

Brad

Wooden Drawer Pulls stoutman Woodworking 11 October 10th 05 10:58 PM
drawer pulls & backplates Woodworking 2 September 19th 05 04:25 PM
Drawer Pulls Mike Woodworking 7 August 19th 05 01:35 AM
Child's drawer pulls toolmiser Woodworking 9 July 16th 05 05:26 AM