PA_Paul

Default Unisaw quality

I'm starting to rebuild my ww shop after being away from it for a few
years. For a TS, I'd always planned on getting a Delta Unisaw since I
want a good quality product that I can use for years into the future.
However, I've seen a few posts (on this and other forums) that suggest
the current Delta quality isn't what it used to be. Is that a fair
impression? If so, are there other recommendations?

thanks,
Paul
Mike in Mystic

Hi Paul,

I can't speak for everyone, but I purchased a Delta Unisaw (3 HP,
right-tilt, Limited Edition w/50" Biesemeyer fence) a few months ago and it
is the BEST tool that I own. The quality is just as good as anything I've
ever read about and hasn't given me one bit of trouble. Of course, you
could get a PowerMatic 66 or one of the European-type machines and pay a lot
more and probably get just as good (even better in some cases) quality than
the Delta, but IMO you won't be at all sorry for buying the Unisaw. Even
better, you can get them for ridiculously low prices now (for example,
www.coastaltool.com in CT has their Unisaws for $1389!!! that's with a
rebate, but so what).

Go for it!

Mike

--

There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

"PA_Paul" wrote in message
om...
I'm starting to rebuild my ww shop after being away from it for a few
years. For a TS, I'd always planned on getting a Delta Unisaw since I
want a good quality product that I can use for years into the future.
However, I've seen a few posts (on this and other forums) that suggest
the current Delta quality isn't what it used to be. Is that a fair
impression? If so, are there other recommendations?

thanks,
Paul

todd

"PA_Paul" wrote in message
om...
I'm starting to rebuild my ww shop after being away from it for a few
years. For a TS, I'd always planned on getting a Delta Unisaw since I
want a good quality product that I can use for years into the future.
However, I've seen a few posts (on this and other forums) that suggest
the current Delta quality isn't what it used to be. Is that a fair
impression? If so, are there other recommendations?

thanks,
Paul

Since this was brought up, there is a classified ad for a Unisaw in the
Chicago Tribune. Says it is 3HP with 52" Unifence, mobile base, dust
collector. Like new for $750. Anyone interested can go to
http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi....jsp?class=310
and check it out. I haven't priced Unisaws, but this strikes me like it
might be a decent price.

todd

Disclaimer: i have no connection to this saw. Believe me, if it was mine,
I wouldn't be selling it.

Leon

Yes, Jet or Grizzly.

Jim Mc Namara

"todd" wrote in message:

I haven't priced Unisaws, but this strikes me like it
might be a decent price.

Yeah . . . if it had a Saw Stop with it!

Jums (g,r, & d!)

Jon Endres, PE

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
Keith Bohn (AKA Unisaw A100) is the man on this sort of information
and I would direct any questions about comparative quality between
different generations to Unisaws to him.

He kin only tell yuh aboot the 1939 models....

Unisaw A100

Tom Watson *outs* me and writes:
Keith Bohn (AKA Unisaw A100) is the man on this sort of information
and I would direct any questions about comparative quality between
different generations to Unisaws to him.

Jon Endres, PE, who by the way hasn't been seen on the Oh
Dubbya Dubbya Em lately and hasn't paid his dues, chimes in
and wrote:
He kin only tell yuh aboot the 1939 models....

Yahbut, the things I can tell you about the '39 would (will)
fill a booklet. :-)

OK, the Unisaw speech.

A Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw is
a Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw is
a Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw.

There, I said it.

The Unisaw you buy today is more than likely going to be
every bit as good as the Unisaw your grandfather bought way
back in the middle of the last century. There are
*differences* though. Comfy yet? Got your favorite
beverage nestled inside your favorite NASCAR cozy? Good,
let's move along.

The '39 Unisaw is not the epitome of the Unisaw. Far from
it. It's a great saw and don't get me wrong. Owning one of
these four footers does automagically bring you membership
in an exclusive club but that's about it.

*If* I had my druthers I would be looking for a saw built
from about the mid-50's to the early part of the '70's. Fit
and finish on these saws is pretty close to being as good as
it ever was/will be.

If I were to avoid a Unisaw it would be from the mid-70's to
the early '80's. These can be immediately identified by the
Rockwell International Peace Sign Logo (RIPL). Rockwell was
on a *value engineering* jag during these years and quality
was not job one.

The major difference between the first Unisaw ever built
(mine) and the one that sitting on the floor at my local
Woodcraft is/are things like, the cast iron base (plinth) is
long gone. The cast iron motor cover is never more and
replaced (at first) by a sheet metal box and now a blow
molded plastic (plastique David) cover. The hand wheels and
lock knobs are kinda cheesy looking. The color (colour
David) is a putrid blue/green/gray or worse yet plutonium
colored (coloured David). There are some internal
differences but for the most part they do not telegraph to
what the saw was intended to do.

You will also have to consider that the new Unisaw does not
come with a soul but this really isn't too much of a
problem. The machine's soul comes from the user and a used
machine usually comes with more than one. For the record,
last night I saw, for the first time, Bob Schmall's Unisaw
and it has a soul. Bob bought it at Redmonds. Redmonds
regularly goes out and buys back saws from dealers and they
have them stacked to the ceiling so this saw was technically
not new but it did arrive to Bob soulless. Anyway, Bob has
had it for a yearish and the saw now has a soul.

Buy the Unisaw, give it a soul and stop fretting the thing.

UA100

B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 11:09:40 GMT, Unisaw A100
wrote:

Buy the Unisaw, give it a soul and stop fretting the thing.

UA100

Dare I suggest that other tools can develop a soul?

I've had excellent results for 6 years with my Jet contractor saw.
Although we've had some ups and downs, she's never bitten me. When
I'm out pursuing other things, she patiently and quietly waits for my
return.

I can't help but wonder if she'd be sad and despondent if I moved on
to a Unisaw or PM66.

I have a similar relationship with my cordless drill. I swear I can
see it wriggling like a puppy when I'm reaching for it. G

Barry
Jon Endres, PE

and wrote:
He kin only tell yuh aboot the 1939 models....

Yahbut, the things I can tell you about the '39 would (will)
fill a booklet. :-)

OK, the Unisaw speech.

A Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw is
a Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw is
a Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw.

I have excuses. I won't list them here. The old machines in the basement
are getting older and they are not getting used either.

My Unisaw is a 1997 model. I am holding out for a 1939 model, not to get
rid of the newer one, but to have a restorable piece of history. Some
people buy old cars, some of us buy the old machines.

JE

McQualude

B a r r y B u r k e J r . spaketh...

I have a similar relationship with my cordless drill. I swear I can
see it wriggling like a puppy when I'm reaching for it. G

It's such an easy setup, I would feel guilty taking advantage...
--
McQualude
Andy Dingley

wrote:

Buy the Unisaw, give it a soul and stop fretting the thing.

I don't think my Wadkin has a soul and I'm not sure I want it getting
one.

I live next door to a mortician.

David F. Eisan

Deer Keef,

A Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw is
a Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw is
a Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw.

Umm, no they ain't.

The casting problems you hear about with new Unisaurs (twisted tables) is
due to the casting process Delta's subcontracters use.

My Unisaur was made at the Colander (sp?) foundry in Guelph Ontario, when
Delta Canada used to own a foundry and do *all* their own work.

Both mine and your Unisaws castings are made of Meehanite, the same type of
cast iron Powermatic used up until a few years ago when they also sold their
foundry and started contracting out.

http://www.meehanitemetal.com/

BTW, General Canada is the last ww'ing company who own their own foundry and
use Meehanite castings...

Thanks,

David.

rec.ww FAQ http://www.robson.org/woodfaq/