Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

Default Cancelled order.

I had placed an order (approx. $600.) for some merchandise.
Several days later I checked the website to see if the order had been
shipped, nope. A week later I checked again. Nope
I called the firm and cancelled the order. Because of the delay I had found
another supplier.
The following day I received an e-mail that the order had been shipped. I
e-mailed back and informed the company that I would not accept the charge to
my CC and I would not be responsible for returning the merchandise. I
recommended that they contact UPS and have them return the shipment before
it got too far from "home".
Was I being reasonable?

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote in message

I had placed an order (approx. $600.) for some merchandise.
Several days later I checked the website to see if the order had been
shipped, nope. A week later I checked again. Nope
I called the firm and cancelled the order. Because of the delay I had
found another supplier.
The following day I received an e-mail that the order had been shipped. I
e-mailed back and informed the company that I would not accept the charge
to my CC and I would not be responsible for returning the merchandise. I
recommended that they contact UPS and have them return the shipment before
it got too far from "home".
Was I being reasonable?

Max

Did you get the name of the person that took the cancellation order?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 19:18:39 GMT, "Max"
wrote:

I had placed an order (approx. $600.) for some merchandise.
Several days later I checked the website to see if the order had been
shipped, nope. A week later I checked again. Nope
I called the firm and cancelled the order. Because of the delay I had found
another supplier.
The following day I received an e-mail that the order had been shipped. I
e-mailed back and informed the company that I would not accept the charge to
my CC and I would not be responsible for returning the merchandise. I
recommended that they contact UPS and have them return the shipment before
it got too far from "home".
Was I being reasonable?

Max

Probably not. Check out their policies on such things like order
cancellation. I'm sure you can return the merchandise, but I'll bet
there's going to a be a cost to do so, if only the return postage.

When it gets's there, if by mail, you could refuse the delivery. If
by UPS, and they don't simply leave it when you're not there, you
could simply never go pick it up. After 3 delivery tries, UPS will
return it to the sender as undeliverable. Maybe if you meet the
driver you could tell him to do that and avoid that whole 3 day thing.
If the driver leaves it there when you're gone, you're out of luck.

Either way, my guess (note that word: guess) is that you're gonna be
liable for something.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote in message

Oh, yeah.

Then I would say you are perfectly within your rights to cancel since you
have proof of the cancellation before the shipment.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Leon" wrote in message
. ..

"Max" wrote in message

Oh, yeah.

Then I would say you are perfectly within your rights to cancel since you
have proof of the cancellation before the shipment.

I just spoke to a gentleman from the firm and he assured me that, should the
shipment arrive at my door, I was to refuse to accept it and UPS would
return it.
I am most grateful for his assurances.
The man also gave me useful advice regarding online ordering. (I have
considerably more merchandise in mind to order from the firm in question)
Pending a positive outcome of this whole affair, I will report back with
details and the name of the company.
In the unlikely event the outcome should be negative, I will also present
the details.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

Max wrote:
I had placed an order (approx. $600.) for some merchandise.
Several days later I checked the website to see if the order had been
shipped, nope. A week later I checked again. Nope
I called the firm and cancelled the order. Because of the delay I had found
another supplier.
The following day I received an e-mail that the order had been shipped. I
e-mailed back and informed the company that I would not accept the charge to
my CC and I would not be responsible for returning the merchandise. I
recommended that they contact UPS and have them return the shipment before
it got too far from "home".
Was I being reasonable?

Max

you can call the local UPS office, and have them send it back for you.

shelly

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote:

I had placed an order (approx. $600.) for some merchandise.
Several days later I checked the website to see if the order had been
shipped, nope. A week later I checked again. Nope
I called the firm and cancelled the order. Because of the delay I had
found another supplier.

snip

Was I being reasonable?

You checked the website. Did you try direct contact - e-mail or phone?
If you didn't, my answer is no.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
newscF4h.7336$MO6.3241@trndny06...
"Max" wrote:

I had placed an order (approx. $600.) for some merchandise.
Several days later I checked the website to see if the order had been
shipped, nope. A week later I checked again. Nope
I called the firm and cancelled the order. Because of the delay I had
found another supplier.

snip

Was I being reasonable?

You checked the website. Did you try direct contact - e-mail or phone?
If you didn't, my answer is no.

I neglected to mention that, when I called to cancel the order, I also
inquired about whether or not the order had been shipped.
I asked and was told, "No, the order hasn't shipped yet." My reply to that
was, "I'll have to cancel that order then; I'll find a local supplier".
(The reason I hadn't used a local supplier in the first place was price. )
It was 2 days later that I received the e-mail saying the order had been
shipped.
I have since been in contact with a representative of the company and he
assured me that I could return the merchandise *if* it gets this far.
(he would attempt to ask UPS to try to catch it somewhere along the line and
have it returned.)
All is well.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...

Max wrote:
I had placed an order (approx. $600.) for some merchandise.
Several days later I checked the website to see if the order had been
shipped, nope. A week later I checked again. Nope
I called the firm and cancelled the order. Because of the delay I had
found
another supplier.
The following day I received an e-mail that the order had been shipped.
e-mailed back and informed the company that I would not accept the charge
my CC and I would not be responsible for returning the merchandise. I
recommended that they contact UPS and have them return the shipment
before
it got too far from "home".
Was I being reasonable?

Max

you can call the local UPS office, and have them send it back for you.

shelly

Thanks,
Already taken care of.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I had placed an order (approx. $600.) for some merchandise.
Several days later I checked the website to see if the order had been
shipped, nope. A week later I checked again. Nope
I called the firm and cancelled the order. Because of the delay I had found
another supplier.
The following day I received an e-mail that the order had been shipped. I
e-mailed back and informed the company that I would not accept the charge to
my CC and I would not be responsible for returning the merchandise. I
recommended that they contact UPS and have them return the shipment before
it got too far from "home".
Was I being reasonable?

Max

Thirty days is business standard. Charging your car at the time of
ordering is also customary, although it is better to wait until the
time of shipping. The customer can ask for an order status at any
time. If you cancel an order get some kind of conformation.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Phisherman" wrote in message

Thirty days is business standard. Charging your car at the time of
ordering is also customary, although it is better to wait until the
time of shipping. The customer can ask for an order status at any
time. If you cancel an order get some kind of conformation.

It's worth checking with your home state on one point - some states prohibit
charging the Credit Card until the product ships.

--

-Mike-