Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Strange phone call this morning...

Got this call earlier this morning...

[ring] [ring]
[me] This is Doug Miller.
[caller] Hey, Doug, it's your buddy from the wreck, coming over to see you.
[me, sarcastic] Is that right.
[caller] (hangs up)

Call came from (205) 257-4369. That's the Birmingham AL area. Oddly enough,
said once that he lives in Helena, a Birmingham suburb. Do
ya think he might be my "buddy" who called?

Anybody else get a phone call like this?

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
Got this call earlier this morning...

[ring] [ring]
[me] This is Doug Miller.
[caller] Hey, Doug, it's your buddy from the wreck, coming over to see you.
[me, sarcastic] Is that right.
[caller] (hangs up)

Call came from (205) 257-4369. That's the Birmingham AL area. Oddly enough,
said once that he lives in Helena, a Birmingham suburb. Do
ya think he might be my "buddy" who called?

Anybody else get a phone call like this?

Tomorrow's Headlines:

"Scorned Woodworker Uses Lasers and Prisms to Align Knife Blade
Precisely Perpendicular to Victim's Chest"
Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
Got this call earlier this morning...

[ring] [ring]
[me] This is Doug Miller.
[caller] Hey, Doug, it's your buddy from the wreck, coming over to see you.
[me, sarcastic] Is that right.
[caller] (hangs up)

Call came from (205) 257-4369. That's the Birmingham AL area. Oddly enough,
said once that he lives in Helena, a Birmingham suburb. Do
ya think he might be my "buddy" who called?

Anybody else get a phone call like this?

No, but I've learned that it is trivial to spoof the calling line ID.
I found this out when investigating a call that came to me
'from' a number that was not in service.

There is (or was) website that lets you do that for free. I
haven't checked it out, but suppose it you'd call it using
VOIP and then it woudld connect via the internet to a
local exchange to complete the call.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
Got this call earlier this morning...

[ring] [ring]
[me] This is Doug Miller.
[caller] Hey, Doug, it's your buddy from the wreck, coming over to see
you.
[me, sarcastic] Is that right.
[caller] (hangs up)

Call came from (205) 257-4369. That's the Birmingham AL area. Oddly
enough,
said once that he lives in Helena, a Birmingham suburb.
Do
ya think he might be my "buddy" who called?

Anybody else get a phone call like this?

What would be the motivation for someone to call you? Have you recently been
in a heated argument?

In any case, you might want to report the call. It could certainly be
construed as a threat.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi Doug,

You betcha.

Call came in yesterday at 12:06:31 (just as I was sitting down to lunch
with some friends). Sure enough, the number was (205) 257-4369. When
I answered the caller hung up. I get a lot of wrong numbers so I
didn't give it much thought. But, now I know *exactly* who it was!
It's a landline and I'm sure he thinks that he is protected by having
an unlisted number.

Thanks,
Ed Bennett

Doug Miller wrote:
Got this call earlier this morning...

[ring] [ring]
[me] This is Doug Miller.
[caller] Hey, Doug, it's your buddy from the wreck, coming over to see you.
[me, sarcastic] Is that right.
[caller] (hangs up)

Call came from (205) 257-4369. That's the Birmingham AL area. Oddly enough,
said once that he lives in Helena, a Birmingham suburb. Do
ya think he might be my "buddy" who called?

Anybody else get a phone call like this?

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Locutus" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..
Got this call earlier this morning...

[ring] [ring]
[me] This is Doug Miller.
[caller] Hey, Doug, it's your buddy from the wreck, coming over to see
you.
[me, sarcastic] Is that right.
[caller] (hangs up)

Call came from (205) 257-4369. That's the Birmingham AL area. Oddly
enough,
said once that he lives in Helena, a Birmingham suburb.
Do
ya think he might be my "buddy" who called?

Anybody else get a phone call like this?

What would be the motivation for someone to call you? Have you recently been
in a heated argument?

I guess you haven't been reading the thread about the TS-Aligner 2006 Fall
Promo?

Yes, you might say I've been in an argument. Wasn't heated on *my* end... but
then, it wasn't *me* that got bent far enough out of shape to look up the
other guy's home address and phone number, and call him.

In any case, you might want to report the call. It could certainly be
construed as a threat.

I plan to, if he calls a second time. Right now, I figure he's just a
blowhard, and probably a coward besides. Plus, he's three states away, not
across the street. If he does actually show up...he may regret that decision.
We're capable of protecting ourselves, and ready to do so if need be.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Locutus" wrote in message

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
Got this call earlier this morning...

[ring] [ring]
[me] This is Doug Miller.
[caller] Hey, Doug, it's your buddy from the wreck, coming over to see
you.
[me, sarcastic] Is that right.
[caller] (hangs up)

Call came from (205) 257-4369. That's the Birmingham AL area. Oddly
enough,
said once that he lives in Helena, a Birmingham
suburb. Do
ya think he might be my "buddy" who called?

Anybody else get a phone call like this?

What would be the motivation for someone to call you? Have you recently
been in a heated argument?

Doug would never argue with anyone! Must have been a simple mistake.
(just for the record, I was asleep...)

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Toller" wrote:

Doug would never argue with anyone! Must have been a simple mistake.
(just for the record, I was asleep...)

Hey, I know it wasn't you, Toller. You live in upstate NY, if I recall
correctly, and this call came from Alabama.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Locutus"
wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.. .
Got this call earlier this morning...

[ring] [ring]
[me] This is Doug Miller.
[caller] Hey, Doug, it's your buddy from the wreck, coming over to see
you.
[me, sarcastic] Is that right.
[caller] (hangs up)

Call came from (205) 257-4369. That's the Birmingham AL area. Oddly
enough,
said once that he lives in Helena, a Birmingham
suburb.
Do
ya think he might be my "buddy" who called?

Anybody else get a phone call like this?

What would be the motivation for someone to call you? Have you recently
been
in a heated argument?

I guess you haven't been reading the thread about the TS-Aligner 2006 Fall
Promo?

Yeah, I found it shortly after I posted... curiosity got the best of me.

Very weak.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charlie M. 1958" writes:
"Scorned Woodworker Uses Lasers and Prisms to Align Knife Blade
Precisely Perpendicular to Victim's Chest"

LOL!!!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
I plan to, if he calls a second time. Right now, I figure he's just a
blowhard, and probably a coward besides. Plus, he's three states away, not
across the street. If he does actually show up...he may regret that decision.
We're capable of protecting ourselves, and ready to do so if need be.

I got into a ****ing match with a blowhard in another newsgroup once... he said
he was going to come see me. I told him to come on, published my street address
and suggested he come in through the window... and carry some ID, so I'd know
where to send the remains.

So far, he hasn't shown up. G Just as well, as I'm not likely to call 911.
That's not the coroner's number, is it?

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message
Doug Miller wrote:
I plan to, if he calls a second time. Right now, I figure he's just a
blowhard, and probably a coward besides. Plus, he's three states away,
not
across the street. If he does actually show up...he may regret that
decision.
We're capable of protecting ourselves, and ready to do so if need be.

I got into a ****ing match with a blowhard in another newsgroup once... he
said he was going to come see me. I told him to come on, published my
street address and suggested he come in through the window... and carry
some ID, so I'd know where to send the remains.

So far, he hasn't shown up. G Just as well, as I'm not likely to call
911. That's not the coroner's number, is it?

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Yes it is. But I think it's goes through his secretary first.
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Doug Miller wrote:
Got this call earlier this morning...

[ring] [ring]
[me] This is Doug Miller.
[caller] Hey, Doug, it's your buddy from the wreck, coming over to see you.
[me, sarcastic] Is that right.
[caller] (hangs up)

Call came from (205) 257-4369. That's the Birmingham AL area. Oddly enough,
said once that he lives in Helena, a Birmingham suburb. Do
ya think he might be my "buddy" who called?

...snipped...

Maybe. Did you try calling back and asking?

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -
Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
I plan to, if he calls a second time. Right now, I figure he's just a
blowhard, and probably a coward besides. Plus, he's three states away,
not
across the street. If he does actually show up...he may regret that
decision.
We're capable of protecting ourselves, and ready to do so if need be.

I got into a ****ing match with a blowhard in another newsgroup once... he
said he was going to come see me. I told him to come on, published my
street address and suggested he come in through the window... and carry
some ID, so I'd know where to send the remains.

So far, he hasn't shown up. G Just as well, as I'm not likely to call
911. That's not the coroner's number, is it?

Not a good idea--found a suspicous package in the mailbox one day with a
return address that showed that it was from a netkook with whom I had been
engaged in a ****ing match. The guy claimed to be a pacifist. Opened it
from 100 yards with a 5.56mm letter opener. It made a surpisingly loud
noise and I owed the range for a target stand. One of the few times in my
life that I've regretted not calling the cops to deal with a problem but at
that point there wasn't a useful amount of evidence left. I stopped using
my real name online after that--it's distinctive and there are only a half a
dozen people in the country who share it and I'd really rather not have to
monitor my mail quite that carefully.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Doug Miller wrote:
In article ,
() wrote:
In article ,
Doug Miller wrote:

...snipped...
Call came from (205) 257-4369. That's the Birmingham AL area. Oddly enough,
said once that he lives in Helena, a Birmingham suburb. Do
ya think he might be my "buddy" who called?

...snipped...

Maybe. Did you try calling back and asking?

I did. There was no answer.

I guess he's on his way over then.

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Doug Miller wrote:
In article ,
() wrote:
In article ,
Doug Miller wrote:
In article ,
() wrote:
In article ,
Doug Miller wrote:

...snipped...
Call came from (205) 257-4369. That's the Birmingham AL area. Oddly enough,
said once that he lives in Helena, a Birmingham suburb.

Do
ya think he might be my "buddy" who called?
...snipped...

Maybe. Did you try calling back and asking?

I did. There was no answer.

I guess he's on his way over then.

Then he should've been here before now. I guess he got lost.

--

If you're lucky maybe he'll stay lost.

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -
Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:
It made a surpisingly loud
noise and I owed the range for a target stand. One of the few times in my
life that I've regretted not calling the cops to deal with a problem but at
that point there wasn't a useful amount of evidence left. I stopped using
my real name online after that--it's distinctive and there are only a half a
dozen people in the country who share it and I'd really rather not have to
monitor my mail quite that carefully.

It took less than that to convince to use an alias online.

I do not want to deal with all the hassle that follows from
culling the gene pool of idiots.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Prometheus wrote:
[snip]

BTW, hope this nonsense amounts to nothing, Doug and Ed.

Thanks. I imagine it won't come to anything. As I said, I doubt he'll show up
here from three states away, but if he does we're able to protect ourselves.

--
Regards,

Strange phone porblem nafuk UK diy 2 September 4th 06 01:43 PM
Water Damage to Samsung C225 Cell Phone [email protected] Electronics Repair 5 September 1st 06 07:22 AM
SELL this FBI NOC LIST and MAKE MILLIONS like TOM CRUISE did in MISSION IMPOSSIBLE Keith Woodworking 0 October 25th 04 01:45 PM
FBI SADISM, PERVERSION, MENTAL TORTURE and BLATANT human rights violations vicky Woodworking 15 October 12th 04 05:09 PM
How to merge 2 phone line jacks to one? Elize Electronics Repair 3 February 4th 04 06:02 PM