Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] fredfighter@spamcop.net is offline

Default Strange phone call this morning...

Doug Miller wrote:
Got this call earlier this morning...

[ring] [ring]
[me] This is Doug Miller.
[caller] Hey, Doug, it's your buddy from the wreck, coming over to see you.
[me, sarcastic] Is that right.
[caller] (hangs up)

Call came from (205) 257-4369. That's the Birmingham AL area. Oddly enough,
said once that he lives in Helena, a Birmingham suburb. Do
ya think he might be my "buddy" who called?

Anybody else get a phone call like this?

No, but I've learned that it is trivial to spoof the calling line ID.
I found this out when investigating a call that came to me
'from' a number that was not in service.

There is (or was) website that lets you do that for free. I
haven't checked it out, but suppose it you'd call it using
VOIP and then it woudl connect via the internet to a
local exhchange to complete the call.

There are some reverse phone number search services
online. Some of them work for free. Some may claim
they found a reverse lisitng, even if they did not, and
want you to pay to see the 'results'.

--

FF