Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Strange phone call this morning...

On 5 Nov 2006 12:21:52 -0800, wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:
It made a surpisingly loud
noise and I owed the range for a target stand. One of the few times in my
life that I've regretted not calling the cops to deal with a problem but at
that point there wasn't a useful amount of evidence left. I stopped using
my real name online after that--it's distinctive and there are only a half a
dozen people in the country who share it and I'd really rather not have to
monitor my mail quite that carefully.

It took less than that to convince to use an alias online.

I do not want to deal with all the hassle that follows from
culling the gene pool of idiots.

Yep. My last name is rare enough that it'd take about 5 minutes with
a phone book for any old looney to start making harassing calls to my
house. I don't worry about the regulars, but there are plenty of
lurkers and kooks around. The irritation just isn't worth it.

That, and there's no particular reason not to use an alias- for all I
know, every name on here is an alias, and some just look more like
real names than others. Doesn't make a bit of difference to me if I
know people by their handles or their given names.

BTW, hope this nonsense amounts to nothing, Doug and Ed.