Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rigid band saw

I'm looking at the Rigid band saw at H.D. Anyone had any expeiance with it?
I can't find a riser block for it. Anyone know if one is made for it? The
saw is here. Hope the link works, it's pretty long.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...m.0& MID=9876

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 14:20:10 GMT, "Jimmy" wrote:

I'm looking at the Rigid band saw at H.D. Anyone had any expeiance with it?
I can't find a riser block for it. Anyone know if one is made for it? The
saw is here. Hope the link works, it's pretty long.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...m.0& MID=9876

I've had one for a couple of years and am happy with it...

It would be nice to have more than 3/4 hp, but for the $300 I spent on it, it's
a lot of saw for the bucks..

On the advice of the group here, I went with the Grizzly riser kit at Amazon.com
The saw is made off shore and is branded and painted differently for whomever
markets it.. the Griz kit was 2/3 of the price for the same thing from Ridgid,
if you don't mind a green block on a gray saw.. *g*

Anyway, my saw was great from the time I assembled it... I was reading here
about setting up, changing wheel alignment and all those other things but didn't
need to do much more than put a blade on and adjust the guides... cuts straight
and no wobble, tracks in the middle of both wheels, etc..

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jimmy" wrote in message
t...
I'm looking at the Rigid band saw at H.D. Anyone had any expeiance with
it? I can't find a riser block for it. Anyone know if one is made for it?
The saw is here. Hope the link works, it's pretty long.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...m.0& MID=9876

Ridgids part number for the riser is AC5005. When you try to order, it wont
add to the cart. I've heard it's pricey so people have been using
substitutes like the Grizzly.

This place has it listed for $133:
http://www.m-and-d.com/RID-AC5005.html?mv_pc=00015

And these guys list it for $130:
http://search.cartserver.com/search/...005&go=Find+It

Do a Google search for "Ridgid AC5005".

Darrell

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Darrell Dorsey" wrote in message
rvers.com...

"Jimmy" wrote in message
t...
I'm looking at the Rigid band saw at H.D. Anyone had any expeiance with
it? I can't find a riser block for it. Anyone know if one is made for it?
The saw is here. Hope the link works, it's pretty long.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...m.0& MID=9876

Ridgids part number for the riser is AC5005. When you try to order, it
wont add to the cart. I've heard it's pricey so people have been using
substitutes like the Grizzly.

This place has it listed for $133:
http://www.m-and-d.com/RID-AC5005.html?mv_pc=00015

And these guys list it for $130:
http://search.cartserver.com/search/...005&go=Find+It

Do a Google search for "Ridgid AC5005".

Darrell

And one more interesting link. These guys seem to find them at their local
HD for $60.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/arc...hp/t-8141.html

Darrell

Posted to rec.woodworking
JD JD is offline

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 14:20:10 +0000, Jimmy wrote:

I'm looking at the Rigid band saw at H.D. Anyone had any expeiance with it?
I can't find a riser block for it. Anyone know if one is made for it? The
saw is here. Hope the link works, it's pretty long.

The bandsaw is fine. First thing though, toss out the blade that comes
with saw. It is one poor piece of steel, dull and impossible to cut a
straight line with. Get a good blade like TimberWolf blade or even a
mediocre one and you will immediately notice the difference. Also, you
will want to buy or build a fence, especially for resawing. Then take the
time and read the instructions and tune it up. Mine will cut mahogany
circa 1/32" veneer without trouble.

JD
Posted to rec.woodworking

I have a Ridgid, and am very happy with it.. Here's what I've done to
improve its performance

1) Replace the drive belt with a multilink belt.. drops vibration
significantly, adds a bit more power ~$20 CDN

2) Replace the upper thumb set screws for the guideblocks with allen head
setscrews Greatly improves visibility when your cutting. (Replace the steel
guideblocks with Coolblocks, while you're at it.) ~$25 CDN

3) Get a decent blade.. I like the Viking 1/2" x 3 TPI
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,41036,41037

4) Not mandatory, but I love mine.. Purchased the KREG bandsaw fence. After
setting up for drift, cuts veneer like nobodys business.

As for the RISER kit, I've run into the same problem..

HD doesn't stock it, but can Special Order it. ~$165 CDN. Ridiculously
expensive. I've read forum conversations that state the GRIZZLY 6" Riser
kit will fit, then you will need to buy 105" blades, but I've not tried it.
(They won't ship to Canada, due to the fact they are co-owned by the same
people that run BusyBee up here) I'm tempted to have it shipped to a UPS
store near the border, (I'm in Ottawa, Ontario) and just go and pick it up.

Hope this helps you out.

Mike.
www.ottawawood.com

"JD" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 14:20:10 +0000, Jimmy wrote:

I'm looking at the Rigid band saw at H.D. Anyone had any expeiance with
it?
I can't find a riser block for it. Anyone know if one is made for it? The
saw is here. Hope the link works, it's pretty long.

The bandsaw is fine. First thing though, toss out the blade that comes
with saw. It is one poor piece of steel, dull and impossible to cut a
straight line with. Get a good blade like TimberWolf blade or even a
mediocre one and you will immediately notice the difference. Also, you
will want to buy or build a fence, especially for resawing. Then take the
time and read the instructions and tune it up. Mine will cut mahogany
circa 1/32" veneer without trouble.

JD

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Mac" wrote in
:

As for the RISER kit, I've run into the same problem..

HD doesn't stock it, but can Special Order it. ~$165 CDN.
Ridiculously expensive. I've read forum conversations that state the
GRIZZLY 6" Riser kit will fit, then you will need to buy 105" blades,
but I've not tried it. (They won't ship to Canada, due to the fact
they are co-owned by the same people that run BusyBee up here) I'm
tempted to have it shipped to a UPS store near the border, (I'm in
Ottawa, Ontario) and just go and pick it up.

http://www.ridgidparts.com/accessories/allacc.phtml

Contains a link that lists the Ridgid riser block (pt no AC5005) for US
$59.97. Although their "Order this Product" links don't seem to be
working properly this morning, you might be able to use the website's
listed price as ammunition if you call their telephone service (listed on
the Ridgidparts.com home page as 1-866-539-1710) and they give you a
different price...

--
I was punching a text message into my phone | Reed Snellenberger
yesterday and thought, "They need to make a | rsnellenberger

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for the info.

Just called the, they now want 202.53 CDN! +$5 delivery

Pointed the agent to the page I was looking at that said $59.95 US (and that I would be more than happy to pay the US equivalent) .. she said she could knock 10% off the CDN $202.53.. (whoa.. a whole $20!) ..SOOO much better.
I said PASS..

oh well. I need a laugh this morning anyhow.

I wonder if I couldn't just MAKE my own parts for it.. !

Thanks
Mike

"Reed" wrote in message .119...
"Mike Mac" wrote in
:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Tom is offline

Check out the Grizzly G0555 first. Excellent saw
"Mike Mac" wrote in message ...
Thanks for the info.

Just called the, they now want 202.53 CDN! +$5 delivery

Pointed the agent to the page I was looking at that said $59.95 US (and that I would be more than happy to pay the US equivalent) .. she said she could knock 10% off the CDN $202.53.. (whoa.. a whole $20!) ...SOOO much better.
I said PASS..

oh well. I need a laugh this morning anyhow.

I wonder if I couldn't just MAKE my own parts for it.. !

Thanks
Mike

"Reed" wrote in message .119...
"Mike Mac" wrote in
:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 09:27:07 -0400, "Mike Mac" wrote:

HD doesn't stock it, but can Special Order it. ~$165 CDN. Ridiculously
expensive. I've read forum conversations that state the GRIZZLY 6" Riser
kit will fit, then you will need to buy 105" blades, but I've not tried it.
(They won't ship to Canada, due to the fact they are co-owned by the same
people that run BusyBee up here) I'm tempted to have it shipped to a UPS
store near the border, (I'm in Ottawa, Ontario) and just go and pick it up.

How about ordering it from Amazon.com?

I bought the Grizzly kit for my BS1400 from Amazon for less than Grizzly wanted
for it, and the Amazon purchase was shipped by Grizzly...
Might be a way around the not shipping to Canada?
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking

mac davis wrote:
On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 09:27:07 -0400, "Mike Mac" wrote:

HD doesn't stock it, but can Special Order it. ~$165 CDN. Ridiculously
expensive.

How about ordering it from Amazon.com?

Amazon.com will not ship tools to Canada.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

Exactly my frustration.

MAC, thanks for the confirmation that the kit DOES fit on the BS1400, good
to know.

So I'm left with shipping to a UPS Store in Ogdensburg, where they will hold
for it for you for a small fee, then drive down and get it.

Mike

wrote:

HD doesn't stock it, but can Special Order it. ~$165 CDN. Ridiculously
expensive. I've read forum conversations that state the GRIZZLY 6" Riser
kit will fit, then you will need to buy 105" blades, but I've not tried
it.
(They won't ship to Canada, due to the fact they are co-owned by the same
people that run BusyBee up here) I'm tempted to have it shipped to a UPS
store near the border, (I'm in Ottawa, Ontario) and just go and pick it
up.

How about ordering it from Amazon.com?

I bought the Grizzly kit for my BS1400 from Amazon for less than Grizzly
wanted
for it, and the Amazon purchase was shipped by Grizzly...
Might be a way around the not shipping to Canada?
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 11:28:16 -0400, "Mike Mac" wrote:

Exactly my frustration.

MAC, thanks for the confirmation that the kit DOES fit on the BS1400, good
to know.

So I'm left with shipping to a UPS Store in Ogdensburg, where they will hold
for it for you for a small fee, then drive down and get it.

Mike

That brings up a border question, Mike... Do you then have to declare the thing
and pay duty on it?

We're moving to Mexico next month and I'm wondering how I'm going to handle my
usual orders with Lee Valley, PSI, etc....

We'll have an address in the nearest town on the US side of the border and will
pick it up there or have the local (baja) postal service pick it up on the
weekly run, but I'm not sure how duty and stuff work...
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking

Yes.. I'll have to declare it. My experience so far is that I'll only have
to pay the Cdn Sales tax (7%) when I bring it in, not any specific actual
'duty', so still a savings.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how the US-Mexico exchange would work.

Today I'm making my first pen ever on my new lathe... will post a pic in
alt.binaries when assembled. Stay tuned!

Mike
www.ottawawood.com

news
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 2 Sep 2006 14:41:51 -0400, "Mike Mac" wrote:

Yes.. I'll have to declare it. My experience so far is that I'll only have
to pay the Cdn Sales tax (7%) when I bring it in, not any specific actual
'duty', so still a savings.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how the US-Mexico exchange would work.

I've been told that duty is up to 20%...

Today I'm making my first pen ever on my new lathe... will post a pic in
alt.binaries when assembled. Stay tuned!

COOL!
For most folks, the first one or 2 are pretty bad, but you won't know that until
you look at it after turning a lot more pens... but they're also the
"keepers"... something about those first couple of pens..

Mike
www.ottawawood.com

news