Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Mac Mike Mac is offline

Default Rigid band saw

I have a Ridgid, and am very happy with it.. Here's what I've done to
improve its performance

1) Replace the drive belt with a multilink belt.. drops vibration
significantly, adds a bit more power ~$20 CDN

2) Replace the upper thumb set screws for the guideblocks with allen head
setscrews Greatly improves visibility when your cutting. (Replace the steel
guideblocks with Coolblocks, while you're at it.) ~$25 CDN

3) Get a decent blade.. I like the Viking 1/2" x 3 TPI
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,41036,41037

4) Not mandatory, but I love mine.. Purchased the KREG bandsaw fence. After
setting up for drift, cuts veneer like nobodys business.

As for the RISER kit, I've run into the same problem..

HD doesn't stock it, but can Special Order it. ~$165 CDN. Ridiculously
expensive. I've read forum conversations that state the GRIZZLY 6" Riser
kit will fit, then you will need to buy 105" blades, but I've not tried it.
(They won't ship to Canada, due to the fact they are co-owned by the same
people that run BusyBee up here) I'm tempted to have it shipped to a UPS
store near the border, (I'm in Ottawa, Ontario) and just go and pick it up.

Hope this helps you out.

Mike.
www.ottawawood.com

"JD" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 14:20:10 +0000, Jimmy wrote:

I'm looking at the Rigid band saw at H.D. Anyone had any expeiance with
it?
I can't find a riser block for it. Anyone know if one is made for it? The
saw is here. Hope the link works, it's pretty long.

The bandsaw is fine. First thing though, toss out the blade that comes
with saw. It is one poor piece of steel, dull and impossible to cut a
straight line with. Get a good blade like TimberWolf blade or even a
mediocre one and you will immediately notice the difference. Also, you
will want to buy or build a fence, especially for resawing. Then take the
time and read the instructions and tune it up. Mine will cut mahogany
circa 1/32" veneer without trouble.

JD