Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Anthony

Default 3 month report on Rigid Cordless Drill and Miter Saw

A while back I reported on the industrialized use of a couple of Rigid
products. This is an updated report concerning those two tools.

Rigid 12" Miter Saw - Used exclusively for sawing structural aluminum
extrusion, bar stock and rounds. This saw is used extensively on a daily
basis.
This saw has held up extremely well. Still works as good as day 1. We
have yet to have to re-align the saw, even with forceful use of the
clamp.
All features of the saw have remained in excellent condition. We have
tossed the original stand in favor of a self-built rollable table with
locks (portability needs). We raised the saw approximately 4" with the
new table and this provides a much improved ergonomic situation.
The laser line is the best thing since sliced bread once you get used to
it. Our other machine building dept bought one shortly after we did
because they liked that feature so well. It really takes quite a bit of
time out of preparing to make a cut. This saw was $299 with laser line
and stand.
Rating: Excellent buy...Highly recommend.

Rigid cordless drill. Used extensively every day. This is a powerful
drill. I was initially impressed with the carbide inserted jaws of the
keyless chuck, but after 3 months of heavy use, it has turned out just
like most keyless chucks in that it slips. I'm still a fan of a keyed
chuck for heavy use. We will replace it with a keyed chuck when it
becomes too much of a problem. The balance of the drill is pretty good,
given the size of the battery. The relatively small barrel diameter of
the drill has proved to be a blessing in tight quarters, as compared to
some of the other drills we use (Dewalt, Craftsman).
The only major issue is a slightly bent spindle between the drill housing
and the chuck. Nobody is sure how this happened, we just noticed it one
day. It has not been dropped. There are only 4 people who are allowed to
use our tools, so we are well aware of it's care. We figure it may have
been one of the times it was in a bind and the operator was in a bind
also, and could have leaned on the drill for stability. We just aren't
sure. It is nothing that is extremely noticable, but it is bent.
The housing has remained in very good condition. We have had several
different brands where the housing broke in the area of the battery.
The battery life is excellent, recharges are fast, we have seen no signs
of battery 'memory' to this point.
This drill was $289.

Rating: If you were using this drill in a mostly wood environment, such
as housing construction, this would be a highly recommended item as the
life would be very good in that situation.
In the metalworking environment, I would give it a 'good' rating, but I
consider it overpriced for the quality. The chuck, while they attempted
to improve it with the carbide inserts, still suffers from the same
problem every other keyless drill chuck other than an Albriecht (sp)
does....slippage.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivlism
Cliff

On Thu, 18 May 2006 21:30:02 GMT, Anthony wrote:

drill

(Was cordless snipped drill in this case but ....)

keyed chuck

Safety & connivance tip:
Use good quality electrical tape to tape the key
to the power cord very close to the cord's plug.

A) You then have to unplug the drill to use the key,
as should be done.
B) You will always have the key handy & not lost.
--
Cliff
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cliff

On Tue, 23 May 2006 17:43:58 GMT, Gunner wrote:

A month or two back, a gal was selling power tools out of the trunk of
her car, claiming that she was selling her now incarcerated husbands
tools.

Only problem was..most of them were mine.

You were lacking in firepower?

I got a few back..but the bitch is in the joint.

Just another winger trying to turn a profit I expect.
--
Cliff
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cliff

On Wed, 24 May 2006 09:24:52 GMT, Gunner wrote:

On Tue, 23 May 2006 18:24:08 -0400, john
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

On 23 May 2006 08:46:58 -0700, "Charlie Gary"
wrote:

Cliff wrote:

On Mon, 22 May 2006 22:38:51 -0500, F. George McDuffee
wrote:

What ever happened to the requirement that a "machinist" had to
have a minimum set of tools.

Somebody stole them.

So THAT'S who that guy with the grocery cart was this weekend. He
said they were HIS tools he was selling for gas money. We didn't
bother to ask if he wasn't going to need some tools once he drove to
work.

Later,

Charlie

A month or two back, a gal was selling power tools out of the trunk of
her car, claiming that she was selling her now incarcerated husbands
tools.

Only problem was..most of them were mine.

I got a few back..but the bitch is in the joint.

Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be
as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment
is to gull**** in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at
all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in
sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration,
knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure
but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33

I hope she gave you a huge discount.

John

Sadly I wasnt one of the ones who purchased them. All of which are
clearly marked with DL# and my full name.

I was able to buy back the Milwaukee 9" angle grinder and the
Milwaukee Sawzall from one of the buyers...for $50.

Which, while hardly fair..was far cheaper than I could replace them.

The other stuff appears to be history. Including my favorite Rockwell
wormdrive saw.

And the box of flap wheels Id just bought for big money.

Did your alarm systems & locks fail you again? Someone
knocked down the bunker door?

Anybody know anything about alarm systems, locks & security?
Perhaps you need a gun ....
--
Cliff
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller

On Wed, 24 May 2006 05:28:56 -0400, Cliff wrote:

Anybody know anything about alarm systems, locks & security?
Perhaps you need a gun ....

Some years ago, I offered to demonstrate my "staffordshire" alarm
system and "Winchester" anti-theft system to the young, female, alarm
system, door-to-door, sales person. Very shortly thereafter, one of
the city's finest arrived to inform me that the young lady was seeking
help with her laundry bill, and that in future, I should display a "NO
SOLICITING" sign on my door, which would justify me in offering
assistance to the property line. Some people have argued that they
were not "soliciting" but have offered little resistance to my gentle
urgings.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada