Posted to rec.woodworking
jj jj is offline

Default Yuk! HOME DEPOT is awful these days

I used to shop a lot at HOME DEPOT around these parts, because it was
the closet to me. But a while back they eliminated all of the checkers
except for one and have those stupid automated checkouts that are a pain
in the @#$!$. There is no such thing as a quick trip to HD any more. The
lines are often 10 or 12 deep. Now I just avoid HD and go to Lowes. A
couple of miles farther away but a damn site faster than going to HD.

Also, I have noticed a lot less employees on the floor in HD than Lowes.

The last time I was in HD (months ago) I mentioned to an employee how I
thought the store was going down the tubes. They replied I don't know
the half of it. They mentioned something about a new CEO. Sigh, probably
another example of a CEO ruining a company while at the same time
getting rewarded with hugh bonuses.

How's HD in your area?
Posted to rec.woodworking
Geo Geo is offline

jj wrote:
I used to shop a lot at HOME DEPOT around these parts, because it was
the closet to me. But a while back they eliminated all of the checkers
except for one and have those stupid automated checkouts that are a pain
in the @#$!$. There is no such thing as a quick trip to HD any more. The
lines are often 10 or 12 deep. Now I just avoid HD and go to Lowes. A
couple of miles farther away but a damn site faster than going to HD.

Also, I have noticed a lot less employees on the floor in HD than Lowes.

The last time I was in HD (months ago) I mentioned to an employee how I
thought the store was going down the tubes. They replied I don't know
the half of it. They mentioned something about a new CEO. Sigh, probably
another example of a CEO ruining a company while at the same time
getting rewarded with hugh bonuses.

How's HD in your area?

In the Dayton area the HD here was excellent when it first opened.
They were far better than the Lowes across the street. A lot of people
on the floor, people at registers, etc. As with your store, this
changed and it almost seemed like over night there were less people on
the floor and they went to the self check out with one register open at
the contractor check out. Long lines like you have. I think they got
some serious complaints because the last few trips I have made there
they now have at least two other registers open with people checking
out customers, in addition to the self check out. I actually like the
self check but there are times when you need a real person to do the
work.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"jj" wrote in message ...
I used to shop a lot at HOME DEPOT around these parts, because it was the
closet to me. But a while back they eliminated all of the checkers except
for one and have those stupid automated checkouts that are a pain in the
@#$!$. There is no such thing as a quick trip to HD any more. The lines are
often 10 or 12 deep. Now I just avoid HD and go to Lowes. A couple of miles
farther away but a damn site faster than going to HD.

Also, I have noticed a lot less employees on the floor in HD than Lowes.

The last time I was in HD (months ago) I mentioned to an employee how I
thought the store was going down the tubes. They replied I don't know the
half of it. They mentioned something about a new CEO. Sigh, probably
another example of a CEO ruining a company while at the same time getting
rewarded with hugh bonuses.

How's HD in your area?

This rant will be a waste unless you send a copy to Home Deopt also.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tex Tex is offline

In article .com,
says...

jj wrote:
I used to shop a lot at HOME DEPOT around these parts, because it was
the closet to me. But a while back they eliminated all of the checkers
except for one and have those stupid automated checkouts that are a pain
in the @#$!$. There is no such thing as a quick trip to HD any more. The
lines are often 10 or 12 deep. Now I just avoid HD and go to Lowes. A
couple of miles farther away but a damn site faster than going to HD.

Also, I have noticed a lot less employees on the floor in HD than Lowes.

The last time I was in HD (months ago) I mentioned to an employee how I
thought the store was going down the tubes. They replied I don't know
the half of it. They mentioned something about a new CEO. Sigh, probably
another example of a CEO ruining a company while at the same time
getting rewarded with hugh bonuses.

How's HD in your area?

.... snipped

Home Depot (new a few months ago) North of Houston, TX (Hwy 2978 @ Hwy
1488)

.... very poor selection/stocking of items -- in last 5 times, had to go
to Lowe's 4 times -- don't go to that HD now -- seldom go to any HD

.... higher prices than Lowe's on items that were once significantly less
expensive

.... seems to be decrease in personnel (registers inadequately manned)

.... now buying ALL medium/large ticket items via Internet - neither HD
nor Lowe's competitive, even after paying shipping

.... sold HD stock 3/06 -- don't own Lowe's, and NOT buying, either!

.... things will level out eventually - free market enterprise in
operation.

Tex
Posted to rec.woodworking

I long since stopped using the Home Depots in my part of Georgia. Same
reasons - less people, prices suck, inventory is really bad, and salespeople
are more often than not clueless about their aisle.

What's behind their downfall is the original founders are long gone and the
bean counters are in control and are setting the rules. We all know how
companies do when the bean counters run them. Interestingly enough I
scanned a report the other day off the net where a study was done on
customer satisfaction for a couple of hundred stores. Surprise - Home Depot
was next to last. Sorry, I don't remember who was last.

As someone has already said, the market place will take care of Home Depot.
Their stock is dropping, their employees are quitting left and right.
Eventually the stockholders will scream and boot the current management team
out when they will figure out what Lowes figured out a couple years back -
people will pay more for good service. Lowes is eating their lunch is
pretty much every area they compete.

"jj" wrote in message ...
I used to shop a lot at HOME DEPOT around these parts, because it was the
closet to me. But a while back they eliminated all of the checkers except
for one and have those stupid automated checkouts that are a pain in the
@#$!$. There is no such thing as a quick trip to HD any more. The lines are
often 10 or 12 deep. Now I just avoid HD and go to Lowes. A couple of miles
farther away but a damn site faster than going to HD.

Also, I have noticed a lot less employees on the floor in HD than Lowes.

The last time I was in HD (months ago) I mentioned to an employee how I
thought the store was going down the tubes. They replied I don't know the
half of it. They mentioned something about a new CEO. Sigh, probably
another example of a CEO ruining a company while at the same time getting
rewarded with hugh bonuses.

How's HD in your area?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Kinda funny. HD started moving aggressively into our area (Eastern WA)
at about the same time Lowe's took over Eagle. I had preferred Eagle,
because the service was better, selection OK, though not as wide as HD,
and the merchandise seemed better. Then Lowe's took over Eagle, and it
went down the tubes. Now I prefer Lowe's over HD for all the reasons
mentioned.

The last time I was in HD, an employee suggested I use the
auto-checkout since there was no line. She smiled when I said I'd wait
for a human to do my checkout, on GP.

Posted to rec.woodworking

jj wrote:
I used to shop a lot at HOME DEPOT around these parts, because it was
the closet to me. But a while back they eliminated all of the checkers
except for one and have those stupid automated checkouts that are a pain
in the @#$!$. There is no such thing as a quick trip to HD any more. The
lines are often 10 or 12 deep. Now I just avoid HD and go to Lowes. A
couple of miles farther away but a damn site faster than going to HD.

Also, I have noticed a lot less employees on the floor in HD than Lowes.

The last time I was in HD (months ago) I mentioned to an employee how I
thought the store was going down the tubes. They replied I don't know
the half of it. They mentioned something about a new CEO. Sigh, probably
another example of a CEO ruining a company while at the same time
getting rewarded with hugh bonuses.

How's HD in your area?

Well, here in the midlands of SC we call them Hopeless Depot. They are
pretty much my last resort if all else fails. Sort of the
Wall-Mart-ization of the home center. A race to the bottom with
understaffed clueless minimum wagers trying to kill time till the end of
their shift.........sigh.........
Scott.
Posted to rec.woodworking

automated checkouts

I love those things.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 22:25:14 GMT, Scott McAuley
wrote:

jj wrote:
[...]

The local Walmart usually has lower prices for paint, caulk etc. HD
and their "We must be out of that" and the annoying "self-checkout"
that wants you to bag a 10 ft stick of pipe have run me off- I
usually drive 5 miles further to Lowes.
--
Mr.E
Posted to rec.woodworking

"jj" wrote in message ...
I used to shop a lot at HOME DEPOT around these parts, because it was the
closet to me. But a while back they eliminated all of the checkers except
for one and have those stupid automated checkouts that are a pain in the
@#$!$. There is no such thing as a quick trip to HD any more. The snip

Here in toledo, same thing. One checkout (no automated checkout) , IF you
find a employee they just have a vague idea where anything is and walk away.
Bought a small piece of red oak to make a feather board with. Cut it in
half, turned out the damn thing was glued! Cut right thru the biscuits. They
suck.

Posted to rec.woodworking

jj wrote:

I used to shop a lot at HOME DEPOT around these parts, because it was
the closet to me. But a while back they eliminated all of the checkers
except for one and have those stupid automated checkouts that are a pain
in the @#$!$. There is no such thing as a quick trip to HD any more. The
lines are often 10 or 12 deep. Now I just avoid HD and go to Lowes. A
couple of miles farther away but a damn site faster than going to HD.

Also, I have noticed a lot less employees on the floor in HD than Lowes.

The last time I was in HD (months ago) I mentioned to an employee how I
thought the store was going down the tubes. They replied I don't know
the half of it. They mentioned something about a new CEO. Sigh, probably
another example of a CEO ruining a company while at the same time
getting rewarded with hugh bonuses.

How's HD in your area?

I for one like the automated deal since those can be easily told to speak
english

Posted to rec.woodworking

jj wrote:
I used to shop a lot at HOME DEPOT around these parts, because it was
the closet to me. But a while back they eliminated all of the checkers
except for one and have those stupid automated checkouts that are a pain
in the @#$!$. There is no such thing as a quick trip to HD any more. The
lines are often 10 or 12 deep. Now I just avoid HD and go to Lowes. A
couple of miles farther away but a damn site faster than going to HD.

Also, I have noticed a lot less employees on the floor in HD than Lowes.

The last time I was in HD (months ago) I mentioned to an employee how I
thought the store was going down the tubes. They replied I don't know
the half of it. They mentioned something about a new CEO. Sigh, probably
another example of a CEO ruining a company while at the same time
getting rewarded with hugh bonuses.

How's HD in your area?

I pretty much have experienced the same. I did a trip all over the West
last year. Stopped at few HDs to see if they had the same pathetic
operations as the one at home. Yah, there are all bad. When HD first
opened I liked them a lot better than Eagle or Lowes. But now it is
completely turned around. I almost always shop any where but HD.

I would like to package up this thread and send it to Home Depot corp
office and send along copies to some analysts on Wall Street. If anyone
would like for me to leave off their post, just say so.
Posted to rec.woodworking

BTW - I have sent at least 4 complaints about poor service to HD corporate.
I got back a form letter about how sorry they were and 4 gift cards in
varying amounts up to $20. Don't know what ****ed me off more, the measly
attempt of appeasement with the gift cards or the form letters.

The solution, as someone already said, if for lots of people to send them
complaint letters (emails)
"jj" wrote in message ...
Well, from the responses. It is not just my imagination or the local area
stores but every where Home Depot has gone down hill. I too, to the tune
of several thousand dollars a year (remodeling projects) was spent at Home
Depot but have since been purchasing mostly from Lowes. Lowes here in the
PNW have 4 times as many clerks about twice as many people on the floor as
Home Depot. BTW, I did send corporate a letter. Usually, you get a letter
back with some kind of response. Nada, from Home Depot.
Maybe they are making money from contractors and do not care about the few
measely thousands of dollars from John Q Public doing remodel jobs.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tex Tex is offline

In article ,
says...
jj wrote:
[...]

Be my guest. Send mine to corporate -- I've already written them -- no
response, told CS in store of problems -- Sorry, etc., emailed store mgr
- nothing's changed. I no longer go in a HD - will pay more at small
hardware store down the road where people are friendly, know what they
have or will get it for me and seem to appreciate my business.

I wish I could short stocks in my IRA -- about $6-8 would look like a
good cover price.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Walsh" edwalsh@dev_null wrote in
:

BTW - I have sent at least 4 complaints about poor service to HD
corporate. I got back a form letter about how sorry they were and 4
gift cards in varying amounts up to $20. Don't know what ****ed me
off more, the measly attempt of appeasement with the gift cards or the
form letters.

The solution, as someone already said, if for lots of people to send
them complaint letters (emails)

The solution is to buy from somebody else. Anybody else, but preferably
someone local, who knows your name when you come in. Even if you're 'just
a homeowner'.

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking
cm cm is offline

I tend to go to Lowe's over HD also. As for the self checkouts.... First
time I used one at HD #469 in Mesa, Arizona I tried to insert my $10.00 bill
and the machine would not take it. The gal in charge of the self checkouts
came over to see what the problem was and then said she couldn't help me! I
didn't have anymore bills so I just left my cart of merchandise there and
left the store.

I was a vendor for Home Depot and Lowe's for years and was treated so badly
by HD management on a regular basis that I would almost rather shop anywhere
than there. Lowe's was always strict about their requirements but were
never ever pricks.

AZCRAIG

"jj" wrote in message ...
I used to shop a lot at HOME DEPOT around these parts, because it was the
closet to me. But a while back they eliminated all of the checkers except
for one and have those stupid automated checkouts that are a pain in the
@#$!$. There is no such thing as a quick trip to HD any more. The lines are
often 10 or 12 deep. Now I just avoid HD and go to Lowes. A couple of miles
farther away but a damn site faster than going to HD.

Also, I have noticed a lot less employees on the floor in HD than Lowes.

The last time I was in HD (months ago) I mentioned to an employee how I
thought the store was going down the tubes. They replied I don't know the
half of it. They mentioned something about a new CEO. Sigh, probably
another example of a CEO ruining a company while at the same time getting
rewarded with hugh bonuses.

How's HD in your area?

Posted to rec.woodworking

I still go to HD because they are so close but almost always the checkout
process is slow. Now the Lowes I go to has plenty of help and they really
pay attention to the lines and employees are always asking if you need help.
Lowes seems to be very customer driven. HD must have changed management and
the quickest way to increase profits is to cut training and payroll and
raise prices. That is a poor long term strategy as customers [particualry
the ones that live close to a better competitor] will eventually leave when
they notice consistently poor service and higher prices but it does
initially work. I also don't like the HD brand Behr paint. I recently tried
Lowes brand interior latex and it was much better in my opinion.

Steve

"jj" wrote in message ...
I used to shop a lot at HOME DEPOT around these parts, because it was the
closet to me. But a while back they eliminated all of the checkers except
for one and have those stupid automated checkouts that are a pain in the
@#$!$. There is no such thing as a quick trip to HD any more. The lines are
often 10 or 12 deep. Now I just avoid HD and go to Lowes. A couple of miles
farther away but a damn site faster than going to HD.

Also, I have noticed a lot less employees on the floor in HD than Lowes.

The last time I was in HD (months ago) I mentioned to an employee how I
thought the store was going down the tubes. They replied I don't know the
half of it. They mentioned something about a new CEO. Sigh, probably
another example of a CEO ruining a company while at the same time getting
rewarded with hugh bonuses.

How's HD in your area?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 13:29:36 -0700, jj wrote:

I used to shop a lot at HOME DEPOT around these parts, because it was
the closet to me. But a while back they eliminated all of the checkers
except for one and have those stupid automated checkouts that are a pain
in the @#$!$. There is no such thing as a quick trip to HD any more. The
lines are often 10 or 12 deep. Now I just avoid HD and go to Lowes. A
couple of miles farther away but a damn site faster than going to HD.

Also, I have noticed a lot less employees on the floor in HD than Lowes.

The last time I was in HD (months ago) I mentioned to an employee how I
thought the store was going down the tubes. They replied I don't know
the half of it. They mentioned something about a new CEO. Sigh, probably
another example of a CEO ruining a company while at the same time
getting rewarded with hugh bonuses.

How's HD in your area?

1, Far west Houston, Hwy 6 & Westheimer. This must be the Hopeless Depot flagship store. Dark,
rude, long lines, lumber is crap, generally clueless floor help, but not always. 2 minutes from
work, but I'd rather have my stomach pumped than go there. To hell with self checkout. I deal with
machines enough. Prefer human beings.

2. Richmond TX -20 miles as the crow flies from #1. Richmond/Rosenburg is still a small town, and
has not lost small town values, but Houston is getting closer. Friendly folks, pretty well stocked.
Worth the drive.

3. Lowes - Richmond. Well worth the drive. Mostly knowledgeable folks, good stock selection. My
first choice of the Big Box stores.

Where I spent most of my money on home projects and hobby the last couple of years (of specific
interest only to those in the Houston area) other than 2&3 above: Interesting that the list is
comprised of essentially family businesses until you get to mail order. Wonder why that is.

1. The Cutting Edge - Houston - Mom&Pop shop. Tools, supplies, some wood.
2. Plantation Hardware - Richmond - Mom&Pop shop. Hardware, supplies
3. Home Lumber - Rosenburg - Was Mom&Pop shop, but being sold. Lumber, molding, you-name-it.
4. Ebay, Craigslist, houston.forsale - hand tools, used major tools
5. Antique, junk, yard sales - more hand tools (it's a slippery slope)
6. Lee Valley (need I say more) (another slippery slope)
7. Woodcraft mail order, mostly sale items. I like the local store, but it has a lot of stocking
problems, and is about 80 miles round trip from the house. Too far to go to find out it is not
there. Yep, tried calling first. I only allow a dog one bite. I still stop by if I happen to be
in the area, but won't make a special trip.

Special Mention - Circle Saw - Houston - Mom&Pop shop - I think they stock spare parts for
everything ever made, even pointy sticks.

Regards,
Roy
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Geo" wrote in news:1154465237.380188.110050
@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

*snip*

I actually like the
self check but there are times when you need a real person to do the
work.

They're great for prepackaged items with UPCs, but for anything that's no
prepackaged or for big items like 2x4s it's much easier to have a real
person use their portable scanner to check you out.

If I had to guess I would say that HD and Lowes have fewer "Just two
light prepackaged items" customers than department stores like Kmart and
Walmart.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, I guess it may be a little relative to where you live. The small town
I live in doesn't have one. It has one local hardware store that does a
booming business; however, they don't sell Behr paint and have anywhere
close the inventory of Home Depot. For example, not too long ago I needed
a 220 volt 20/50 amp combo circuit breaker. Local store said they would
have to order it, take a few days and it would cost $23.95. As it happened,
I was traveling a couple hundred miles that week and stopped in a Home Depot
and they had it in stock for ( I think it was around) $15. Now see the
store is a good thing to me.. regardless of its self checkout routine.

"jj" wrote in message ...
I used to shop a lot at HOME DEPOT around these parts, because it was
the closet to me. But a while back they eliminated all of the checkers
except for one and have those stupid automated checkouts that are a pain
in the @#$!$. There is no such thing as a quick trip to HD any more. The
lines are often 10 or 12 deep. Now I just avoid HD and go to Lowes. A
couple of miles farther away but a damn site faster than going to HD.

Also, I have noticed a lot less employees on the floor in HD than Lowes.

The last time I was in HD (months ago) I mentioned to an employee how I
thought the store was going down the tubes. They replied I don't know
the half of it. They mentioned something about a new CEO. Sigh, probably
another example of a CEO ruining a company while at the same time
getting rewarded with hugh bonuses.

How's HD in your area?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

All decisions are made in Atlanta these days.

Store employees who have employed there more than a couple of years
are in general, not happy, but there is nothing they can do to change
things, or so I'm told by someone I believe.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

"jj" wrote in message
I used to shop a lot at HOME DEPOT around these parts, because it was
the closet to me. But a while back they eliminated all of the checkers
except for one and have those stupid automated checkouts that are a pain
in the @#$!$. There is no such thing as a quick trip to HD any more. The
lines are often 10 or 12 deep. Now I just avoid HD and go to Lowes. A
couple of miles farther away but a damn site faster than going to HD.

Also, I have noticed a lot less employees on the floor in HD than Lowes.

The last time I was in HD (months ago) I mentioned to an employee how I
thought the store was going down the tubes. They replied I don't know
the half of it. They mentioned something about a new CEO. Sigh, probably
another example of a CEO ruining a company while at the same time
getting rewarded with hugh bonuses.

How's HD in your area?

I just got back from doing a week and four days worth of work at an Eagle
(Lowe's) on Oahu. Had to island hop to Maui and the Big Island. Just from
driving around and general sight seeing, HD out numbers Lowe's on the island
something like 3 to 1. Obviously they must be doing something right over
there. Ah, Hawaii.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Definitely depends on area. Here in Northwest Tucson, service is hard
to find and the registers aren't heavily manned.

OTOH, at my folks place in Colorado, HD is fairly new; we had bought Dad
a lawn mower for Fathers' day at one HD in a different town (based on a
trip made for other reasons) but it didn't work. We didn't see an employee
until after my wife and I had moved the lawn mower from the second shelf,
onto another model's box on the floor and from the box onto our cart.
*Then* the help showed up. Decided to try returning it to the closer HD, a
fairly recently (maybe a little over one year old). Absolutely no problem
with returning to their store, rapid response from both return cashier and
person in garden dept who actually brought the new one up to the register.
If all HD's were like that, they'd have a lock on the market.

As an HD stockholder, I've been significantly underwhelmed by their
performance. While Lowe's has continued to increase in value (except for
the last couple of weeks) and has split at least once in the past several
years; HD hasn't moved much anyplace after I bought the stock and it headed
downward about $20 a share.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I believe what you said is true.

I just visit HD this morning. I asked the man in electrical area on
something that I previous bought from HD but I don't know where it is
located at. The man told me "I don't know" then turned his back and
walked away.

The same and similar scenarios, I shopped at Lowes, I have never leave
any Lowes store without any answer.

Since I have been experience many times like this so I am shopping at
Lowes much more than HD even though Lowes it a little farther while
there are many HD stores around me.

This might be a reason why now HD Supply store at Landess in Milpitas
is changing their store name into Contractor Warehouse. I spoke to a
store manager about the bad and really bad services at HD. I told
them, I hope after they changed into a new name, they will not step on
the previous footprint of HD before.

I don't think the bad service because the CEO; but the business vision
of the whole HD management system.

San Jose, California.

Tim Taylor wrote:
"jj" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Walsh wrote:
BTW - I have sent at least 4 complaints about poor service to HD corporate.
I got back a form letter about how sorry they were and 4 gift cards in
varying amounts up to $20. Don't know what ****ed me off more, the measly
attempt of appeasement with the gift cards or the form letters.

The solution, as someone already said, if for lots of people to send them
complaint letters (emails)

No - the solution is to find alternative sources and deprive HD (and
others like them) of your money. When profits and market share look
like twin kamikaze planes on the way down, THAT'S when you have their
attention. And there's another thing that's effective: bad publicity.
Get a group together to picket the store pointing out the bad service,
etc. Local paper/TV comes around to see the "consumer rebellion" and
HD corporate may start to get serious.

FoggyTown

Posted to rec.woodworking

As I get more involved in my woodworking I am less and less likely to
go to a big box store. There are some advantages to them however.
This is my current "store" rundown.

Softwood Lumber : 84 Lumber or 88-BC (a family yard near Binghamton),
both reasonable quality for 1-by and 2-by pine lumber.

Hardwood Lumber: Southern Tier Hardwoods, excellent prices per BF and
they have a section where you can just buy one board if you like S4S,
or get a truckload of rough or s2s, whatever.

Plywood and sheet goods: Lowes, period. There is no local source for
Baltic Birch (that I know of) and Lowes has much better stock of MDF
and plywoods than HD or the yards. Honestly there may be a better
source for "cabinet grade" stuff but i have not really needed much of
that.

"Pony Clamps", router bits that I need right now, pipe, Jorgensen etc,
melamine : Home Depot: They stock more and better router bits than
both Lowes in the area and the hardware stores are not even in the
game.

Handheld Power tools: Lowes or HD, toss-up, depends on who has which.
The local hardware stores usually just don't have anything.

Hand tools: herein lies the rub: NOBODY has anything good that I can
just go and handle. It's ALL mail order. Rockler, Lee Valley, ebay
whatever. I have to buy every bloody hand tool without ever touching
it. Unless I want some crummy lookalike tool made by a company that
"used" to make good tools. That said, both Rockler and Lee Valley have
been a pleasure to order from, especially Lee Valley.

Large Power tools: hrm... probably order them from a real commercial
equipment dealer who can have them shipped to their location and then
load them into my trailer for me. I don't expect to ever buy another
large power tool from a big-box store (although I like my Hitachi SCMS
and Delta teeny DP)

There is also a decent hardware store nearby, but to be honest, their
selection of tools is no better than the overlap between Lowes and HD.
Knowledge base of the staff there is probably a bit better though. I
would go there for pipe fittings, or vent tubes etc, stuff that I don't
know about and need to ask questions.

Paint: paint store of course, Sherwin Williams.

Knowledge: I learn more in this NG than I would learn asking questions
at any of these places!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Same story in south central PA. I usually only go to HD, or Lowes for
that matter, as a last resort. Though I gotta say, the Lowe's in our
area aren't exactly spiffy on the service end either.

It used to be the borgs hired folks who had a clue about the stuff they
were selling (both stores), now when/if you ask a question....You first
of all pray that the individual in the vest speaks english (no offense
to any non-english speaking folks, but if you're going to work with the
public --- please speak the language of the public you're dealing with)
and also that they have at least a clue of what they're selling.

I had a rather interesting discusion with a fellow in the lighting
department about putting lights in a drop ceiling. He insited that the
can style lights I was buying didn't need support, "just cut a hole in
the ceiling tile and put the light in" he said....Now I know that they
probably do make lights that you can do that with. The ones I was
looking to buy weren't one of them. I finally picked up the package
and pointed to where it said "MUST BE MOUNTED ON BRACKETS"..... The
young fellow said "oh"....

Wanted to take a look at dado sets last night at a Lowes.....couldn't
find them, couldn't find a vest to ask either....asked the guy across
the aisle in paints....he didn't even know if they carried them....He
also couldn't find anyone to ask since the store was pretty much empty
of employees.

Which brings me to the next item of complaint...selection..Used to be
you had three maybe even four brands to choose from on the shelf (and
this goes for most stores now a days) now you get the priviledge of
choosing from ONE brand.... There's a choice for ya...

I go to my local hardware stores most of the time now. The fellas and
ladies there are always friendly, usually always know what they're
talking about or can ask someone who does, and most of them know my
name. I'm extremely fortunate to have two local stores that carry just
about everything I need....

Thus ends my portion of this rant...... :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

jj writes:

Well, from the responses. It is not just my imagination or the local
area stores but every where Home Depot has gone down hill. I too, to the
tune of several thousand dollars a year (remodeling projects) was spent
at Home Depot but have since been purchasing mostly from Lowes. Lowes
here in the PNW have 4 times as many clerks about twice as many people
on the floor as Home Depot. BTW, I did send corporate a letter. Usually,

Lowes may have more floor employees, but they charge a LOT more to pay for
them. A 2x4 8 foot usually costs around $2.69 at Home Depot, but will
cost genrally around $3.69 at Lowes. I've found just about everything to
be more at Lowes. I only go to Lowes if nobody else has an item. Also,
the nearest Lowes is a 15 mile trip each way.

I've been doing most of my shopping at Menards recently even though HD is
only about a mile or two further. Menards prices are always the same or
less than HD these days. Home Depot was the cheapest three or four years
ago, but HD prices have gone way up.

Brian Elfert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Brian Elfert wrote:

jj writes:

Well, from the responses. It is not just my imagination or the local
area stores but every where Home Depot has gone down hill. I too, to the
tune of several thousand dollars a year (remodeling projects) was spent
at Home Depot but have since been purchasing mostly from Lowes. Lowes
here in the PNW have 4 times as many clerks about twice as many people
on the floor as Home Depot. BTW, I did send corporate a letter. Usually,

Lowes may have more floor employees, but they charge a LOT more to pay for
them. A 2x4 8 foot usually costs around $2.69 at Home Depot, but will
cost genrally around $3.69 at Lowes. I've found just about everything to
be more at Lowes. I only go to Lowes if nobody else has an item. Also,
the nearest Lowes is a 15 mile trip each way.

Is that a wet fir 2x4 with mold on it or a dry pine 2x4 sans mold?

I've been doing most of my shopping at Menards recently even though HD is
only about a mile or two further. Menards prices are always the same or
less than HD these days. Home Depot was the cheapest three or four years
ago, but HD prices have gone way up.

Brian Elfert

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Posted to rec.woodworking
jj jj is offline

J. Clarke wrote:

And you go to full-service gas stations too, right?

I certainly do. They create more jobs and cost the same.

You mean you can _find_ one?

Easy, go to Oregon or New Jersey. There you cannot fill up yourself.
Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

Here in Canada, Home Depot is not too bad yet but getting worse. There used
to be 15 cashouts in the local store, they are down to two regular and one
for lumber. They used to stock an suppliers entire line down to the last
little item, now it is only the big sellers. They squeezed in appliances and
dropped hardwood veneer plywoods and only carry some thicknesses of plywood,
mdf and other sheet goods. If you want other thicknesses, go elsewhere.

When I can, I go to the local Revy Store, unfortunately it is very small but
they can pack in almost as much merchandise as Home Depot, except building
materials which are outside and sheet goods which they don't have much room
for. They have cashiers and floor help and a bigger variety of many items.

We used to have 5 lumberyards and 3 hardware stores, now we are down to
Revy, and Home Depot with some Canadian Tires which don't carry lumber and
building supplies. The one good lumberyard closed its local store and moved
to its rural store where it still is if you want a 30 mile round trip.

"jj" wrote in message
I used to shop a lot at HOME DEPOT around these parts, because it was the
closet to me. But a while back they eliminated all of the checkers except
for one and have those stupid automated checkouts that are a pain in the
@#$!$. There is no such thing as a quick trip to HD any more. The lines
are often 10 or 12 deep. Now I just avoid HD and go to Lowes. A couple of
miles farther away but a damn site faster than going to HD.

Also, I have noticed a lot less employees on the floor in HD than Lowes.

The last time I was in HD (months ago) I mentioned to an employee how I
thought the store was going down the tubes. They replied I don't know the
half of it. They mentioned something about a new CEO. Sigh, probably
another example of a CEO ruining a company while at the same time getting
rewarded with hugh bonuses.

How's HD in your area?

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

whome wrote:
I pretty much have experienced the same. I did a trip all over the West
last year. Stopped at few HDs to see if they had the same pathetic
operations as the one at home. Yah, there are all bad. When HD first
opened I liked them a lot better than Eagle or Lowes. But now it is
completely turned around. I almost always shop any where but HD.

Wow, you must be fun to go on vacation with, if you take the time to
stop at all the home depots just so you can complain about how bad they
are LOL.