Posted to rec.woodworking

Default software

I'm looking for a legal key for CabinetVision ver3. Anyone?

James

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I'm looking for a legal key for CabinetVision ver3. Anyone?

James
.

I am confused. Would it be legal if you acquired it from some one other
than CabinetVision?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Don't know....that's why I'm asking. I have seen posts to sell the product
and was wondering how it would work.
Don't want to do anything illegal.

James

"Leon" wrote in message
. net...
wrote in message ...
I'm looking for a legal key for CabinetVision ver3. Anyone?

James
.

I am confused. Would it be legal if you acquired it from some one other
than CabinetVision?

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Email CabinetVision. They'll set you right up.

wrote in message
I'm looking for a legal key for CabinetVision ver3. Anyone?

James

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yeah...that is all well and good, but if someone has a legal key and
software, what's to stop them from selling to me.
Is there some legal issue here? If you buy something, isn't it yours to do
with as you please? I'm not trying to be a
pain, just want to know.

James

ink.net...

wrote in message
I'm looking for a legal key for CabinetVision ver3. Anyone?

James

Posted to rec.woodworking

JamesB wrote:
Yeah...that is all well and good, but if someone has a legal key and
software, what's to stop them from selling to me.

Nothing
_____________

Is there some legal issue here? If you buy something, isn't it yours
to do with as you please?

Yes

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Your initial post didn't say enough to know what you wanted. There are so
many requests for cracks and freedownloads of copyrighted material on the
net that that is the first thing that comes to mind. Some of the software
companies want you to believe that you never own it, they are just allowing
you to use it, thus can not sell it but when it comes down to it, they are
covered by copyright, the rest is in their lawyers dreams. Yes, they can
sell it.

"JamesB" wrote in message
Yeah...that is all well and good, but if someone has a legal key and
software, what's to stop them from selling to me.
Is there some legal issue here? If you buy something, isn't it yours to

do
with as you please? I'm not trying to be a
pain, just want to know.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 10:29:12 -0400, wrote:

I'm looking for a legal key for CabinetVision ver3. Anyone?

James

If you can get the invoice, manual or license agreement you should be
able to get the key from the manufacturer. If you can get two of
these three items most of time a software company will provide you
with a key. Some companies are little more strict than others.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Yeah, I guess I kinda left out some info on my original post. Sorry.

Well, if there is anyone who has the program (CabinetVision) with a key and
wants to sell, I'm in the market.

James

nk.net...

"JamesB" wrote in message
Yeah...that is all well and good, but if someone has a legal key and
software, what's to stop them from selling to me.
Is there some legal issue here? If you buy something, isn't it yours to

do
with as you please? I'm not trying to be a
pain, just want to know.

Posted to rec.woodworking

When it comes to software you may not really own what you buy.
Most software is sold as a right to use license only.
You don't own it and you cannot re-sell it.
Read the license agreement and warranty.
The warranty only says that the delivery media is free of defects, not the
software itself.

--
Ben Loosli
"JamesB" wrote in message
Yeah...that is all well and good, but if someone has a legal key and
software, what's to stop them from selling to me.
Is there some legal issue here? If you buy something, isn't it yours to
do with as you please? I'm not trying to be a
pain, just want to know.

James

ink.net...

wrote in message
I'm looking for a legal key for CabinetVision ver3. Anyone?

James

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:05:23 GMT, "CW" wrote:

They'd sure like you to believe that.

"Ben Loosli" wrote in message
ink.net...
When it comes to software you may not really own what you buy.
Most software is sold as a right to use license only.
You don't own it and you cannot re-sell it.
Read the license agreement and warranty.
The warranty only says that the delivery media is free of defects, not the
software itself.

It seems to me that it is * a right to use* and only on one machine.
Many of the SW programs now require activation. I'm not a geek but I
assume that during this *activation* the program is grabbling the IP
add of the machine. If you try to install with the same key on another
machine it would be rejected and the program will not run.
I believe the poster above is correct - it is not like a baseball
glove - you don't own it and cannot resell it. And maybe, you cannot
reuse it if say you changed machines and ended up with a new IP
address.
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

"Joe Bemier" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:05:23 GMT, "CW" wrote:

They'd sure like you to believe that.

"Ben Loosli" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Nowhere close.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe Bemier wrote in
:

It seems to me that it is * a right to use* and only on one machine.
Many of the SW programs now require activation. I'm not a geek but I
assume that during this *activation* the program is grabbling the IP
add of the machine. If you try to install with the same key on another
machine it would be rejected and the program will not run.
I believe the poster above is correct - it is not like a baseball
glove - you don't own it and cannot resell it. And maybe, you cannot
reuse it if say you changed machines and ended up with a new IP
address.

At least you're not afraid of technical geeky words... Even if you don't
understand that IP addresses change all the time. I may get a new IP
address while writing this post--if my modem disconnects and has to
reconnect.

Most software licensing allows you to install one copy of the software on
your computer for your own use. If you uninstall the software from the
computer and install it on another, you are in most cases well within
your rights.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 20:50:53 -0400, Joe Bemier
wrote:

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:05:23 GMT, "CW" wrote:

They'd sure like you to believe that.

"Ben Loosli" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

There is significant debate over this; certainly software companies would
like to take the most restrictive approach; but there is some substantial
opinion that this violates right of first sale ownership as covered in
uniform commercial code. Take a look at various discussions on
www.gripe2ed.com, this is an Infoworld editor who covers various concerns
with software vendors. It appears that no one has yet tried this through
the various court systems, or that there is considerable difference in
opinions rendered by lower courts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 17 Jul 2006 02:37:14 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

Joe Bemier wrote in
:

[...]

Well, I stated that I don't know much of these things. What I posted
is what seemed to be happening.
So, I learn something.
And, I learned that IP add's will change. I was certainly under the
impression thatwith high Speed the IP add stayed the same and only
with DiaUp did a new number get assigned eac session.

Anyway, it seems like the SW giants are doing something to know when
and on what machine we install their SW. Symantec and MS lead this
from what I can see.

Thanks for your info.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default software [OT]

Joe Bemier wrote in
:

wrote:

Well, I stated that I don't know much of these things. What I posted
is what seemed to be happening.
So, I learn something.
And, I learned that IP add's will change. I was certainly under the
impression thatwith high Speed the IP add stayed the same and only
with DiaUp did a new number get assigned eac session.

With broadband, they *might* stay the same. It's not guaranteed (unless
you pay the extra money for a static IP) and can happen at what seems
like quite random times. Network cards have a MAC (Media Access
Control--not Macintosh) address that is set in hardware and doesn't
change.

Anyway, it seems like the SW giants are doing something to know when
and on what machine we install their SW. Symantec and MS lead this
from what I can see.

Microsoft Windows reads and stores certain IDs that should never change
during the operation of your computer. If enough of them change, the
program thinks it might be in a different computer and requests
reactivation. The above mentioned MAC address is one of the items it
looks at.

I imagine Symantec may be copying the idea to an extent.

Thanks for your info.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe Bemier wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:05:23 GMT, "CW" wrote:

They'd sure like you to believe that.

"Ben Loosli" wrote in message
nk.net...
When it comes to software you may not really own what you buy.
Most software is sold as a right to use license only.
You don't own it and you cannot re-sell it.
Read the license agreement and warranty.
The warranty only says that the delivery media is free of defects,
not the software itself.

It seems to me that it is * a right to use* and only on one machine.
Many of the SW programs now require activation. I'm not a geek but I
assume that during this *activation* the program is grabbling the IP
add of the machine. If you try to install with the same key on another
machine it would be rejected and the program will not run.
I believe the poster above is correct - it is not like a baseball
glove - you don't own it and cannot resell it. And maybe, you cannot
reuse it if say you changed machines and ended up with a new IP
address.

Not many machines have static IPs.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pop Pop is offline

"CW" wrote in message
nk.net...
Your initial post didn't say enough to know what you wanted.
There are so
many requests for cracks and freedownloads of copyrighted
material on the
net that that is the first thing that comes to mind. Some of
the software
companies want you to believe that you never own it, they are
just allowing
you to use it, thus can not sell it but when it comes down to
it, they are
covered by copyright, the rest is in their lawyers dreams. Yes,
they can
sell it.

Actually, no software is ever sold unless intellectual rights are
part of the agreement which you and I won't ever see. What CAN
be done is to transfer the LICENSE to use it. One never owns the
software, only the license to use it. It sucks, but the courts
support it.

Pop

"JamesB" wrote in message
Yeah...that is all well and good, but if someone has a legal
key and
software, what's to stop them from selling to me.
Is there some legal issue here? If you buy something, isn't
it yours to

do
with as you please? I'm not trying to be a
pain, just want to know.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pop Pop is offline

"Ben Loosli" wrote in message
nk.net...
When it comes to software you may not really own what you buy.
Most software is sold as a right to use license only.
You don't own it and you cannot re-sell it.

Not true unless it's tied to the specific computer it's supplied
on, as in OEM versions of windows.

The license CAN be transferred to another person as long as it's
not tied to some hardware, and that can be done ofr a fee. Then
the new user relicenses the software, thereby negating the
registration of the previous user and any features that went with
it like updates, etc..
The EULA's explain it pretty well, really, if one reads t hem.

Pop

"JamesB" wrote in message
Yeah...that is all well and good, but if someone has a legal
key and software, what's to stop them from selling to me.
Is there some legal issue here? If you buy something, isn't
it yours to do with as you please? I'm not trying to be a
pain, just want to know.

James

ink.net...

wrote in message
I'm looking for a legal key for CabinetVision ver3. Anyone?

James

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe Bemier wrote:

How about this...

I d/l and purchase a prog called Downloader Pro. I get the Key and
everything is fine.
About a year later I feel my H/D is fried and replace it. I re-install
winXP, etc, etc. When I go to install D/L'er Pro I enter the same key
and get a message that says....."That Key is over a year
old..blah..blah...blah....you need to purchase an upgrade"
So, if like you guys say, they are not grabbing my IP add, then they
must be laying in some cookie or something....??
Or maybe they just log the time and date that I entered the key the
first time and then they have it for Ref.

Anyway, beyond the whole business about how they track users, what do
you guys think about the fact that I can no longer use that
program...that I paid for.

sounds like the date the key was generated was coded into the key.

I'd never do business again with a company that put a timeout on a paid
for software. there are several decent free download managers- check
them out...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe Bemier wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:05:23 GMT, "CW" wrote:

Most software is sold as a right to use license only.
You don't own it and you cannot re-sell it.
Read the license agreement and warranty.

They'd sure like you to believe that.

It seems to me that it is * a right to use* and only on one machine.
Many of the SW programs now require activation. I'm not a geek but I
assume that during this *activation* the program is grabbling the IP
add of the machine. If you try to install with the same key on another
machine it would be rejected and the program will not run.
I believe the poster above is correct - it is not like a baseball
glove - you don't own it and cannot resell it. And maybe, you cannot
reuse it if say you changed machines and ended up with a new IP
address.

The license might state all kinds of things, but the law says "right of
first sale" applies, and reselling it after purchase is Fair Use.

er (been busy..
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking

in 1304906 20060717 104521 Joe Bemier wrote:

And, I learned that IP add's will change. I was certainly under the
impression thatwith high Speed the IP add stayed the same and only
with DiaUp did a new number get assigned eac session.

I'm on high-speed broadband and my ipaddr has only changed once in the last
four years and that was because of a major hardware upgrade at the ISP.

Anyway, it seems like the SW giants are doing something to know when
and on what machine we install their SW. Symantec and MS lead this
from what I can see.

Which is why I will not run MS software. I run OS/2 and Linux and if I can't get free
(in terms of licence, not cost) software to do what I want then I either write my own
or go without.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe Bemier wrote:

On 17 Jul 2006 02:37:14 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

Joe Bemier wrote in
m:

[...]

First, with most ISPs, you pay a premium for a "static" IP address.

Next, MS tells you what they do in order to tell on what machine you have
installed their software.
http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/1/6/21654b16-6c81-4d96-9390-5203cd43d07d/WindowsProductActivationTechnicalMarketBulletin.do c

Basically product activation sends them a long number and they send back a
long number and you're done. If you want to be paranoid you can write down
the number that would be sent, call them from a pay phone, write down the
number they give you, and type it into the machine and it will activate
with no internet connection at all. You won't even talk to a human unless
you've activated the same copy several times in a row.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe Bemier wrote:

How about this...

I d/l and purchase a prog called Downloader Pro. I get the Key and
everything is fine.
About a year later I feel my H/D is fried and replace it. I re-install
winXP, etc, etc. When I go to install D/L'er Pro I enter the same key
and get a message that says....."That Key is over a year
old..blah..blah...blah....you need to purchase an upgrade"
So, if like you guys say, they are not grabbing my IP add, then they
must be laying in some cookie or something....??
Or maybe they just log the time and date that I entered the key the
first time and then they have it for Ref.

Anyway, beyond the whole business about how they track users, what do
you guys think about the fact that I can no longer use that
program...that I paid for.

I see no hint of fact there, merely naivete (AKA "lameness"

Personally, I wouldn't have laid out *any* money for a program that does
what can be done with Windows and a freebie like IrfanView. Since you did,
I would...

(from http://www.breezesys.com/faqs.htm#GEN )
"4. I have lost my hard drive/had to reinstall Windows. How do I get your
programs running again?
Download a new copy of each program from the downloads page and install them
on your PC. You will need to enter your registration details again and these
can be found in the registration email you received when you purchased the
program. If you are unable to find your registration details email
. Please include as much information as possible about
your purchase to help us identify your order quickly. We regret we cannot
re-issue registration codes if you are unable to provide adequate proof of
purchase."

You aren't going to be able to d/l the latest and greatest without
additional cost but you can get your version...
http://www.breezesys.com/upgrades.htm

Amazing what one can learn by browsing, verdad?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 14:02:54 GMT, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Joe Bemier wrote:

[...]

No, whats amazing is that you probably think you are right.

And, yeah sure - all the best S/W is Freeware.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 09:31:34 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Joe Bemier wrote:

On 17 Jul 2006 02:37:14 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

Joe Bemier wrote in
:

[...]

Thanks, John.
It appears I've had the same IP add for some time. But maybe not. I've
renovated an old farmhouse and one of the features I wanted was to
have Broadband in every room. So, the second floor has an area where
there are a bunch of routers, etc.

We have three machines in the house and the ip adds are identical
except for the last 3 digits....mine is xx1-- my wifes is xx2 and the
spare machine is xx3.
But maybe these are not real IP add's - maybe just something from the
router. I see it by entering ipconfig in DOS and get back a bunch of
info.

Posted to rec.woodworking

snip
I d/l and purchase a prog called Downloader Pro. I get the Key and
everything is fine.
About a year later I feel my H/D is fried and replace it. I re-install
winXP, etc, etc. When I go to install D/L'er Pro I enter the same key
and get a message that says....."That Key is over a year
old..blah..blah...blah....you need to purchase an upgrade"
So, if like you guys say, they are not grabbing my IP add, then they
must be laying in some cookie or something....??

snip

Joe,

As mentioned, your IP has nothing to do with any of this. There are
other methods to ID your system. But none of them have anything to do
with your example. All they do is have an algorithm whereby they
compare a key number to the system date and refuse to install if older
then xx/xx/xxxx. Chances are if you changed the date on the system (in
the BIOS) you might have been able to install it again, then change it
back.

In any event, companies that do this suck.

-jtpr.

Hey, if I move and plug my table saw into a new house, think it will
work? Hmmmmm....

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 18 Jul 2006 12:40:29 -0700, "jtpr" wrote:

snip
[...]

Thanks for the info-

In any event, companies that do this suck.

Agreed!

-jtpr.

Hey, if I move and plug my table saw into a new house, think it will
work? Hmmmmm....

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe Bemier wrote:

[...]

What, you still can't get it reinstalled?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe Bemier wrote in
:

And, yeah sure - all the best S/W is Freeware.

It's pretty sad when that piece of free software actually works better
than the professional version that does the same thing. It's especially
true for software that has to watch carefully for lawyers such as video
editing.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe Bemier wrote in
:

Thanks, John.
It appears I've had the same IP add for some time. But maybe not. I've
renovated an old farmhouse and one of the features I wanted was to
have Broadband in every room. So, the second floor has an area where
there are a bunch of routers, etc.

We have three machines in the house and the ip adds are identical
except for the last 3 digits....mine is xx1-- my wifes is xx2 and the
spare machine is xx3.
But maybe these are not real IP add's - maybe just something from the
router. I see it by entering ipconfig in DOS and get back a bunch of
info.

With a setup like that, your router is getting a "real-world" IP address
from the ISP and assigning each computer its own IP address. In fact, if
you go to http://www.myipaddress.com, it will tell you your "real-world"
IP address.

Some firewalls work the same way.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"jtpr" wrote in news:1153251629.319749.229570
@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

*snip*

-jtpr.

Hey, if I move and plug my table saw into a new house, think it will
work? Hmmmmm....

Not this house. If you turn it on when the air conditioner comes on,
you'll probably kill the main breaker!

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 19 Jul 2006 03:47:37 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

Joe Bemier wrote in
:

[...]

Hey, Thanks - helpful.
As to Firewall...I have Zone Alarm and maybe that also plays into the
mix.

Puckdropper