Posted to rec.woodworking
jtpr jtpr is offline

Default software

snip
I d/l and purchase a prog called Downloader Pro. I get the Key and
everything is fine.
About a year later I feel my H/D is fried and replace it. I re-install
winXP, etc, etc. When I go to install D/L'er Pro I enter the same key
and get a message that says....."That Key is over a year
old..blah..blah...blah....you need to purchase an upgrade"
So, if like you guys say, they are not grabbing my IP add, then they
must be laying in some cookie or something....??

snip

Joe,

As mentioned, your IP has nothing to do with any of this. There are
other methods to ID your system. But none of them have anything to do
with your example. All they do is have an algorithm whereby they
compare a key number to the system date and refuse to install if older
then xx/xx/xxxx. Chances are if you changed the date on the system (in
the BIOS) you might have been able to install it again, then change it
back.

In any event, companies that do this suck.

-jtpr.

Hey, if I move and plug my table saw into a new house, think it will
work? Hmmmmm....