Posted to rec.woodworking
Puckdropper Puckdropper is offline

Default software [OT]

Joe Bemier wrote in
:

On 17 Jul 2006 02:37:14 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

Well, I stated that I don't know much of these things. What I posted
is what seemed to be happening.
So, I learn something.
And, I learned that IP add's will change. I was certainly under the
impression thatwith high Speed the IP add stayed the same and only
with DiaUp did a new number get assigned eac session.

With broadband, they *might* stay the same. It's not guaranteed (unless
you pay the extra money for a static IP) and can happen at what seems
like quite random times. Network cards have a MAC (Media Access
Control--not Macintosh) address that is set in hardware and doesn't
change.

Anyway, it seems like the SW giants are doing something to know when
and on what machine we install their SW. Symantec and MS lead this
from what I can see.

Microsoft Windows reads and stores certain IDs that should never change
during the operation of your computer. If enough of them change, the
program thinks it might be in a different computer and requests
reactivation. The above mentioned MAC address is one of the items it
looks at.

I imagine Symantec may be copying the idea to an extent.

Thanks for your info.

Puckdropper