Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root Enoch Root is offline

Default software

Joe Bemier wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:05:23 GMT, "CW" wrote:

Most software is sold as a right to use license only.
You don't own it and you cannot re-sell it.
Read the license agreement and warranty.

They'd sure like you to believe that.

It seems to me that it is * a right to use* and only on one machine.
Many of the SW programs now require activation. I'm not a geek but I
assume that during this *activation* the program is grabbling the IP
add of the machine. If you try to install with the same key on another
machine it would be rejected and the program will not run.
I believe the poster above is correct - it is not like a baseball
glove - you don't own it and cannot resell it. And maybe, you cannot
reuse it if say you changed machines and ended up with a new IP
address.

The license might state all kinds of things, but the law says "right of
first sale" applies, and reselling it after purchase is Fair Use.

er (been busy..
--
email not valid