Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default software

Joe Bemier wrote:

On 17 Jul 2006 02:37:14 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

Joe Bemier wrote in
m:

It seems to me that it is * a right to use* and only on one machine.
Many of the SW programs now require activation. I'm not a geek but I
assume that during this *activation* the program is grabbling the IP
add of the machine. If you try to install with the same key on another
machine it would be rejected and the program will not run.
I believe the poster above is correct - it is not like a baseball
glove - you don't own it and cannot resell it. And maybe, you cannot
reuse it if say you changed machines and ended up with a new IP
address.

At least you're not afraid of technical geeky words... Even if you don't
understand that IP addresses change all the time. I may get a new IP
address while writing this post--if my modem disconnects and has to
reconnect.

Most software licensing allows you to install one copy of the software on
your computer for your own use. If you uninstall the software from the
computer and install it on another, you are in most cases well within
your rights.

Puckdropper

Well, I stated that I don't know much of these things. What I posted
is what seemed to be happening.
So, I learn something.
And, I learned that IP add's will change. I was certainly under the
impression thatwith high Speed the IP add stayed the same and only
with DiaUp did a new number get assigned eac session.

Anyway, it seems like the SW giants are doing something to know when
and on what machine we install their SW. Symantec and MS lead this
from what I can see.

First, with most ISPs, you pay a premium for a "static" IP address.

Next, MS tells you what they do in order to tell on what machine you have
installed their software.
http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/1/6/21654b16-6c81-4d96-9390-5203cd43d07d/WindowsProductActivationTechnicalMarketBulletin.do c

Basically product activation sends them a long number and they send back a
long number and you're done. If you want to be paranoid you can write down
the number that would be sent, call them from a pay phone, write down the
number they give you, and type it into the machine and it will activate
with no internet connection at all. You won't even talk to a human unless
you've activated the same copy several times in a row.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate