Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b

Default Mental Whiplash

A buddy and I made a tool run today

Started at Tool Land - warehouse type place with three level heavy duty
shelf units with moderate to heavy duty machines on each shelf. In
the spaces without shelf units it's metal lathes, mills, cabinet saws
shapers and aisles of nail guns, routers, grinders, belt and ROS
sanders,
chop saws, miter saws, compound miter saws and sliding compound
miter saws. And at the front, by the cash register, glass display
cases of chisels, planes, Starrett squares, rules and a set of Japanese
chisels that are outrageous - and only $900 for the set of six. The
smell of cutting oil and cosmoline (or whatever they're using now)
fills the air - but not in an unpleasant way. If you looked hard
enough,
they even had some Festool stuff.

Next stop was a WoodCraft store - all neat and tidy, well lit and nicely
divided into "Carving, Turning and Cutting" hand tools, "Hardware and
Hand Tools", "Wood, Books and Videos" and area of floor models -
bandsaws, lathes, router table and the like - and a small dedicated area
just for Festool tools.

The third stop was the mental whiplash - Harbor Freight. Never saw
so much crap in one place. The only brand name I found in the place
was a Stanley screwdriver.

End of the day take - Festool Trion PS 300 EQ pendulum jigssaw -
with slick Systainer (a stackable tool case that I'll actually keep
the tool in) and a two D-cell, 1500 volt, tennis racket shaped,
bug zapper type flying insect killer. Range of purchase prices:
$9.99 to $280, price of batteries not included.

Guess which one got used first. Hint - ZZZZZZZZ-AP!

Review of jigsaw to be posted - when the batteries give out
on my other purchase.

Was a good day.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking
Gene T

Charlie b ,
Was the bug zapper from Harbor Freight. I've been looking for one with
higher voltage.
Thanks,
Gene
"charlie b" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b

Gene T wrote:

Charlie b ,
Was the bug zapper from Harbor Freight.

Yup.

I've been looking for one with higher voltage.

Label on the plastic bag it came in says 1500 volts.
Doesn't "zap" but rather "pops".

The effective area of this thing is only about
a 7x10 inch oval. Grip is large diameter - perhaps
to discourage "children under 8" from using it.
Button on grip must be kept depressed to get
"zapper" function. Button is not ergonomic well
poistioned so some strokes are akward (sp?).

After waving this thing around in the sparse
mini-cloud of small flies that gather in a beam
of sunlight outside the shop, I found that just
holding it still in the vicinity and letting the
flying insects fly into the electric grid was
most effective. Was tempted to try it on a
yellow jacket but my self preservation instinct
kicked in before I acted on that impulse. Yellow
jackets are nasty beasts and I figure the last
thing I need to deal with is an electrically irritated
bug.

Did get to play with the Festool jigsaw. Replaceable
zero clearance insert eliminates the tearout in
ply characteristic of jigsaw cuts.

Need to adjust the lower guides closer to the blade
and either buy Festools vacuum hose or find an
adapter for the vacuum hose I've got in my dust
collector system.

The clear plastic "chip guard" distorts your view of
where the blade is cutting and when the saw is
operating, the wire "blade guard" on either side of
and just in front of the blade can be mistaken for the
blade.

The barrel grip is a bit large for my hand and the
on off switch is set back so that your gripping
hand can't be all the way foreward, closer to being
over the blade. Because the barrel grip position
is so far back, any left/right movement of your
hand results in a magnified movement of the blade
(thing lever - movement close to the fulcrum/
pivot point results in less movement on the other
end than movement farther from the fulcrum/pivot
point)

Angling the foot/base requires the use of an allen
wrench which is supplied and has a storage place
on the tool.

The dust extractor is 1.06" diameter - why they
couldn't just go with 1" is beyond me.

Test cuts have been really smooth and blade
deflection is minimal or non-existant on straight
cuts. More thorough review to follow.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

They built it to standards that everyone in the world uses except the US,
metric.

"charlie b" wrote in message
The dust extractor is 1.06" diameter - why they
couldn't just go with 1" is beyond me.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke

charlie b wrote:

Gene T wrote:

[...]

This is the second post I've seen today from someone having trouble with my
school mascot. Have they suddenly become aggressive or something? Used to
be that as long as you didn't sit on one or otherwise do it violence and
stayed away from their nests and didn't mind sharing your beer they left
you alone. Has that changed?

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Dembroge

Started at Tool Land - warehouse type place with three level heavy duty
shelf units with moderate to heavy duty machines on each shelf. In

What was the first place you went? You're in the So. Bay, correct?

Mike
Alameda, CA

Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b

Mike Dembroge wrote:

What was the first place you went? You're in the So. Bay, correct?

Mike
Alameda, CA

Place is called Tool Land north of Whipple and south of WoodCraft,
same side of the street (east side). Tool Land painted on the
building - visible only if you're going north. If you get to
WoodCraft
without seeing the place double back two blocks and try again.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b

"charlie b" wrote in message
The dust extractor is 1.06" diameter - why they
couldn't just go with 1" is beyond me.

So they went for 27 mm? Not 25 mm or 30 mm, but 27 mm?
25 mm would work for both metric and imperial. Why 27mm?

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

I doubt it was an arbitrary decision. The extractor port was likely designed
to fit existing accessories. As for why they didn't consider imperial sizes,
we are the only country in the world that uses it, everyone else is metric.
Contrary to popular belief (by Americans), the world does not revolve around
the US. It was probably not a consideration.

"charlie b" wrote in message
The dust extractor is 1.06" diameter - why they
couldn't just go with 1" is beyond me.

So they went for 27 mm? Not 25 mm or 30 mm, but 27 mm?
25 mm would work for both metric and imperial. Why 27mm?

charlie b

Posted to rec.woodworking
Puckdropper

"CW" wrote in
link.net:

I doubt it was an arbitrary decision. The extractor port was likely
designed to fit existing accessories. As for why they didn't consider
imperial sizes, we are the only country in the world that uses it,
everyone else is metric. Contrary to popular belief (by Americans),
the world does not revolve around the US. It was probably not a
consideration.

Is it too much to ask, though, that in the US you speak the English
langauge and use the measurement system? I hate having to have two sets
of tools for bolts and nuts.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

"Puckdropper" wrote in message
reenews.net...
"CW" wrote in
link.net:

Is it too much to ask, though, that in the US you speak the English
langauge and use the measurement system? I hate having to have two sets
of tools for bolts and nuts.

Say you manufactured equipment and sold it in the US. You would be making to
imperial measure. A German company decided that they liked your products and
wanted to sell them in Germany. Would you tell them that you wouldn't sell
it to them because it wasn't metric and their customers might complain?
BTW, Festool is German and, near as I know, their tools don't speak at all.

Posted to rec.woodworking
hylourgos

charlie b wrote:
Gene T wrote:

Charlie b ,
Was the bug zapper from Harbor Freight.

snip

Was tempted to try it on a
yellow jacket but my self preservation instinct
kicked in before I acted on that impulse. Yellow
jackets are nasty beasts and I figure the last
thing I need to deal with is an electrically irritated
bug.

snip

They work just fine on wasps and hornets. As long as you can touch them
with the metal screen section, even for a millisecond (there, now my
post is on-topic with the metric issue), it'll knock them down and
paralyze them. When I zap the bigger wasps around here--papar wasps or
even giant hornets--for around 3 seconds, their legs and antennae will
still move slowly for a day or so before they die, but they can't use
their legs or wings to move, they just wiggle their appendages around
in slow motion. Hold them for 5-10 seconds and they're fried.

It's the very best tool I've used for hunting them down when they get
inside the house, which is not infrequently here. I've been stung a few
times, but not since using the HF unit to hunt them down. So don't
worry about irritating them electrically: if you touch them at all,
they're down. If you miss, keep swinging....

Vespidaically Yours,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"Puckdropper" wrote in message

Is it too much to ask, though, that in the US you speak the English
langauge and use the measurement system? I hate having to have two sets
of tools for bolts and nuts.

Even better, why not use only 1/4" bolts so we don't have to have so many
wrench sizes.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke

Dhakala wrote:

charlie b wrote:

After waving this thing around in the sparse
mini-cloud of small flies that gather in a beam
of sunlight outside the shop, I found that just
holding it still in the vicinity and letting the
flying insects fly into the electric grid was
most effective. Was tempted to try it on a
yellow jacket but my self preservation instinct
kicked in before I acted on that impulse. Yellow
jackets are nasty beasts and I figure the last
thing I need to deal with is an electrically irritated
bug.

Trust me: that bug zapping badminton racquet will fry a yellowjacket
instantly. I gave one to my son a few years ago.

I took it back around July 4, after he got the power button stuck "on,"
left the thing on the carpet, and somehow dropped a smoke bomb on it.
Big, smelly, charred, cloudy mess.

Is his name "Calvin" by any chance?

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Posted to rec.woodworking
jo4hn

hylourgos wrote:
they're down. If you miss, keep swinging....

Vespidaically Yours,

OK. YOu got me. Had to hit the dictionary. Vespid is a word whereas
vespidaically is not. Apparently. For us insectarilly challenged
persons, vespid refers to social nest-building wasps. Phew.
now smarterly,
jo4hn

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dhakala

Dhakala wrote:
charlie b wrote:

After waving this thing around in the sparse
mini-cloud of small flies that gather in a beam
of sunlight outside the shop, I found that just
holding it still in the vicinity and letting the
flying insects fly into the electric grid was
most effective. Was tempted to try it on a
yellow jacket but my self preservation instinct
kicked in before I acted on that impulse. Yellow
jackets are nasty beasts and I figure the last
thing I need to deal with is an electrically irritated
bug.

Trust me: that bug zapping badminton racquet will fry a yellowjacket
instantly. I gave one to my son a few years ago.

I took it back around July 4, after he got the power button stuck "on,"
left the thing on the carpet, and somehow dropped a smoke bomb on it.
Big, smelly, charred, cloudy mess.

Just in time for another July 4, the bug zapping racquet is on sale for
only $6.50!

http://www.sciplus.com/singleItem.cfm?terms=8148