Posted to rec.woodworking
hylourgos

Default Mental Whiplash

charlie b wrote:
Gene T wrote:

Charlie b ,
Was the bug zapper from Harbor Freight.

snip

Was tempted to try it on a
yellow jacket but my self preservation instinct
kicked in before I acted on that impulse. Yellow
jackets are nasty beasts and I figure the last
thing I need to deal with is an electrically irritated
bug.

snip

They work just fine on wasps and hornets. As long as you can touch them
with the metal screen section, even for a millisecond (there, now my
post is on-topic with the metric issue), it'll knock them down and
paralyze them. When I zap the bigger wasps around here--papar wasps or
even giant hornets--for around 3 seconds, their legs and antennae will
still move slowly for a day or so before they die, but they can't use
their legs or wings to move, they just wiggle their appendages around
in slow motion. Hold them for 5-10 seconds and they're fried.

It's the very best tool I've used for hunting them down when they get
inside the house, which is not infrequently here. I've been stung a few
times, but not since using the HF unit to hunt them down. So don't
worry about irritating them electrically: if you touch them at all,
they're down. If you miss, keep swinging....

Vespidaically Yours,