Posted to rec.woodworking
Rob V

Default Woodsmith scammers

Things like this **** me off.
I got a renewal notice today from my Woodsmith mag.
2 years for 36.00
Just for giggles I checked their website - I can get 2 years there for
$26.00.

I hate when they try to scam the ppl that support them.
Just ****es me off.

--
Thanks,
Rob

You can reply to me at
r_b_v at v_e_r_z_e_r_a doht c_o_m
(remove the _ to get the address)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article . net, Rob
V wrote:

Things like this **** me off.
I got a renewal notice today from my Woodsmith mag.
2 years for 36.00
Just for giggles I checked their website - I can get 2 years there for
$26.00.

I hate when they try to scam the ppl that support them.
Just ****es me off.

Did you call them, or are you just venting? 1-800-333-5075 gets you a
CSR.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Phil-in-MI

Rob:

On other woodworking forums (sponsored) there are lots of reports of a
magazine subscription scam going on. The people sending out the renew
notices have no relation to the magazine, or any subscription service
employed by the magazine. You send your money but your subscription is NOT
renewed.

It could be all a scam, as you said.

Phil

"Rob V" wrote in message
ink.net...
Things like this **** me off.
I got a renewal notice today from my Woodsmith mag.
2 years for 36.00
Just for giggles I checked their website - I can get 2 years there for
$26.00.

I hate when they try to scam the ppl that support them.
Just ****es me off.

--
Thanks,
Rob

You can reply to me at
r_b_v at v_e_r_z_e_r_a doht c_o_m
(remove the _ to get the address)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pop

Lots of mags do that for some reason. I always let them expire
and 90% of the time I get a very good rate just before the last
issue goes out, which I then take. By waiting until it actually
expires, the next offer is usually not the lowest one, and not
even as low as the previous one; you have to wait another month
or so for that one, so you end up possibly missing a couple of
issues, but that one will be the best price of all. Most of the
time I don't really care about an issue or two missing; so I just
wait for their low-ball offer. Usually, it works out to my
advantage but ymmv for sure.
One, I forget which right now, puts a blow-in card for a great
price in the issue that comes aftere the "last issue". Yeah, I
know; but it says that on the cover, and yet one more issue
always shows up; with a good deal on a blow-in.

Pop

"Rob V" wrote in message
ink.net...
Things like this **** me off.
I got a renewal notice today from my Woodsmith mag.
2 years for 36.00
Just for giggles I checked their website - I can get 2 years
there for $26.00.

I hate when they try to scam the ppl that support them.
Just ****es me off.

--
Thanks,
Rob

You can reply to me at
r_b_v at v_e_r_z_e_r_a doht c_o_m
(remove the _ to get the address)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Rob V" wrote in message
ink.net...
Things like this **** me off.
I got a renewal notice today from my Woodsmith mag.
2 years for 36.00
Just for giggles I checked their website - I can get 2 years there for
$26.00.

I hate when they try to scam the ppl that support them.
Just ****es me off.

I hate that also. I got a letter from SBC indicating that my DSL
subscription was going to expire in 2 months and that I did not have to do
anything to continue using my DSL service, however the price was going up
33%. No phone number on the letter or any thing like a web site to inquire.
30 minutes later I have negotiated a better deal for less money. Idiots,
had they simply continues to bill me the same price they would have received
more money and provided less services.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Zz Yzx

Huh.

SBC CALLED ME me a few months ago, and offered to increase my DSL
speed and cut my bill to less than half ($49.99/mo to $19.99/mo, or
something like that) . All I had to do was commit to 2 more yrs.

The guy who called asked me "Have you ever asked for a renewal of your
promotional rate you got when you signed up"? And then said "You
should do that whenver the promotial rate expires".

Go figure.

-Zz

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 01:05:57 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"Rob V" wrote in message
link.net...
Things like this **** me off.
I got a renewal notice today from my Woodsmith mag.
2 years for 36.00
Just for giggles I checked their website - I can get 2 years there for
$26.00.

I hate when they try to scam the ppl that support them.
Just ****es me off.

I hate that also. I got a letter from SBC indicating that my DSL
subscription was going to expire in 2 months and that I did not have to do
anything to continue using my DSL service, however the price was going up
33%. No phone number on the letter or any thing like a web site to inquire.
30 minutes later I have negotiated a better deal for less money. Idiots,
had they simply continues to bill me the same price they would have received
more money and provided less services.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
Huh.

SBC CALLED ME me a few months ago, and offered to increase my DSL
speed and cut my bill to less than half ($49.99/mo to $19.99/mo, or
something like that) . All I had to do was commit to 2 more yrs.

The guy who called asked me "Have you ever asked for a renewal of your
promotional rate you got when you signed up"? And then said "You
should do that whenver the promotial rate expires".

I renew my commitment every year. I only had to commit for 12 months and
ultimately am paying less. I went from $24.95 for reg DSL to $29.95 for DSL
Pro last year. Today I got DSL Pro for $19.95 for 12 months. Had they been
smart they would have simply continued billing me for the $29.95.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Gorman

Leon wrote:
"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
Huh.

SBC CALLED ME me a few months ago, and offered to increase my DSL
speed and cut my bill to less than half ($49.99/mo to $19.99/mo, or
something like that) . All I had to do was commit to 2 more yrs.

The guy who called asked me "Have you ever asked for a renewal of your
promotional rate you got when you signed up"? And then said "You
should do that whenver the promotial rate expires".

I renew my commitment every year. I only had to commit for 12 months and
ultimately am paying less. I went from $24.95 for reg DSL to $29.95 for DSL
Pro last year. Today I got DSL Pro for $19.95 for 12 months. Had they been
smart they would have simply continued billing me for the $29.95.

Chances are whoever called with the offer for the 'new improved service'
gets a percentage of it. Continued billing would only profit the company.
Go figure.
Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Joe Gorman" wrote in message

Chances are whoever called with the offer for the 'new improved service'
gets a percentage of it. Continued billing would only profit the company.
Go figure.
Joe

No one called. They just sent a tacky letter indicating my service was
going to go up 33% with no reference of how to contact any one. I had to go
through their stupid automated service to get to a human and then they
offered the deal.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robin Lee

"Pop" wrote in message
Lots of mags do that for some reason. I always let them expire
and 90% of the time I get a very good rate just before the last
issue goes out, which I then take. By waiting until it actually
expires, the next offer is usually not the lowest one, and not
even as low as the previous one; you have to wait another month
or so for that one, so you end up possibly missing a couple of
issues, but that one will be the best price of all. Most of the
time I don't really care about an issue or two missing; so I just
wait for their low-ball offer. Usually, it works out to my
advantage but ymmv for sure.
One, I forget which right now, puts a blow-in card for a great
price in the issue that comes aftere the "last issue". Yeah, I
know; but it says that on the cover, and yet one more issue
always shows up; with a good deal on a blow-in.

Pop

The most disillusioning renewal offer I got was from Consumers Reports...
had a subscription to their online service for awhile...

I clicked on "cancel my subscription" and got an offer of an even better
rate...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian Henderson

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 23:16:58 GMT, "Rob V" wrote:

Things like this **** me off.
I got a renewal notice today from my Woodsmith mag.
2 years for 36.00
Just for giggles I checked their website - I can get 2 years there for
$26.00.

I hate when they try to scam the ppl that support them.
Just ****es me off.

What ****es me off are all the magazines that send you the
subscription notices that say "Thank you for subscribing, you owe us
money!"

I never subscribed, you morons, I don't owe you anything.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lobby Dosser

"Robin Lee" wrote:

The most disillusioning renewal offer I got was from Consumers Reports...
had a subscription to their online service for awhile...

I clicked on "cancel my subscription" and got an offer of an even better
rate...

What happened the second time you clicked 'cancel', did they make a better
offer?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Gorman

Brian Henderson wrote:
On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 23:16:58 GMT, "Rob V" wrote:

Things like this **** me off.
I got a renewal notice today from my Woodsmith mag.
2 years for 36.00
Just for giggles I checked their website - I can get 2 years there for
$26.00.

I hate when they try to scam the ppl that support them.
Just ****es me off.

What ****es me off are all the magazines that send you the
subscription notices that say "Thank you for subscribing, you owe us
money!"

I never subscribed, you morons, I don't owe you anything.

I get a laugh from the ones that warn me my trial subscription, that I
never asked for or heard of, will expire if I don't send an outrageous
subscription fee (commercial magazine) and a shipping and handling fee
on top of that will expire. the 4 duplicate warnings are almost as
funny. They could probably give away the rag if they didn't send out so
many warnings.
Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce Barnett

On the same note, I just got a renewal notice for ShopNotes.
2 years for $39.90.

The web site lists 2 years at $34.

To be honest, the notice included a bonus - Index for issues 1-84.
The web site includes a bonus of "The Complete Small Shop"

But this does tick me off. I've been a charter subscriber of ShopNotes,
and a subscriber of WoodSmith since volume 3.

Apparently being a charter member means they can charge you more.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rob Mills

I have found that I'm better off ($$) just purchasing magazines from a near
by newsstand than I am subscribing. Reason being that more often than not a
specific magazine doesn't have anything of interest to me but maybe once or
twice out of a 12 month period. This way I can see what's in all the
publications, not just one or two. RM~

PS, I do have a well stocked home owned newsstand within 2 miles of the
house and probably don't buy more than two mags a month and I have several
hobbies that have magazines of interest from time to time.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jerry

I decided we didn't watch enough of the expanded cable channels to be
worth it (hey, NYW is on PBS -- one of the basic channels) so I called
Time Warner and told them I wanted just basic service. So they stopped
charging me for the extended cable but I still have all of the channels
plus HBO.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob G.

On 30 Mar 2006 13:31:16 GMT, Bruce Barnett
wrote:

On the same note, I just got a renewal notice for ShopNotes.
2 years for $39.90.

The web site lists 2 years at $34.

To be honest, the notice included a bonus - Index for issues 1-84.
The web site includes a bonus of "The Complete Small Shop"

But this does tick me off. I've been a charter subscriber of ShopNotes,
and a subscriber of WoodSmith since volume 3.

Apparently being a charter member means they can charge you more.

===========================
Guess you are NO YOUNGSTER either... I have been a Woodsmith
Subscriber since Issue number ONE... (the 3 or 4 page 1st issue..lol)

I have also beend a shopnotes subscriber from the get go although I
really can't say too much for it.

Never thru out a singel issue BUT also never stored them in a way that
I could find a "specific" issue...without sopending a couple of days
looking...

As for the Price...I really have no idea of what I paid...all I can
say is when its cold and misserable outside and I want to relax just
picking up an old issue usually can get me " into a project" and
allows me to loose myself in the shop and forget about the weather,
the wife, the bills, etc...

Over the last 40 or so years Woodsmith has earned its place in my
shop. garage, and TV room... The wife keeps them out of the Bathroom

Bob G.