Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Bailey

Default Question for Panasonic drill owners

Per my request, I recieved a 15.6 Panasonic drill for Christmas. I really do
love the drill so far - they dont get much nicer than this. But here's my
question - instead of a regular, smooth flowing, chuck loosen/adjustment
like most chucks, this one has a sort of 'ratcheting' effect as you turn
it - don't know a better way to describe it. I suppose I can get used to it,
I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something.

jim

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Leonhardt

I got a 12V Panasonic about two months ago. Does the same thing. I
asked the rec and was told it's normal. Drill works great, bit have
never slipped, however the ratching does slow you down when changing
bits.

Bill Leonhardt

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Jim Bailey" wrote in message
. ..
Per my request, I recieved a 15.6 Panasonic drill for Christmas. I really
do
love the drill so far - they dont get much nicer than this. But here's my
question - instead of a regular, smooth flowing, chuck loosen/adjustment
like most chucks, this one has a sort of 'ratcheting' effect as you turn
it - don't know a better way to describe it. I suppose I can get used to
it,
I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something.

jim

My now 11 year old Panasonic does that. Makita now uses a similar feature.
That is normal.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lenny

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 21:37:01 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"Jim Bailey" wrote in message
Per my request, I recieved a 15.6 Panasonic drill for Christmas. I really
do
love the drill so far - they dont get much nicer than this. But here's my
question - instead of a regular, smooth flowing, chuck loosen/adjustment
like most chucks, this one has a sort of 'ratcheting' effect as you turn
it - don't know a better way to describe it. I suppose I can get used to
it,
I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something.

jim

My now 11 year old Panasonic does that. Makita now uses a similar feature.
That is normal.

Yup, What Leon said. And Congrats to you , you've got a great drill.
One of my co-workers has that model and it's held up well and been a
pleasure to use.
Now, because he who dies with the most toys (ummmm... tools) wins...
you might want to start looking at the Panasonic Impact driver with
the same 15.6 battery. I have the Makita 14.4 model, came with a free
drill. If you drive a lot of screws (especially large screws) you will
love it.

Lenny

Posted to rec.woodworking
jo4hn

Jim Bailey wrote:
Per my request, I recieved a 15.6 Panasonic drill for Christmas. I really do
love the drill so far - they dont get much nicer than this. But here's my
question - instead of a regular, smooth flowing, chuck loosen/adjustment
like most chucks, this one has a sort of 'ratcheting' effect as you turn
it - don't know a better way to describe it. I suppose I can get used to it,
I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something.

jim

That's the clutch at work. If you want less ratchet, simply turn it to
a higher numeric value. For direct drive, turn it all the way up.
mahalo,
jo4hn
Oh yeah and I love the Panasonic.
Posted to rec.woodworking
www

"Jim Bailey" wrote in message
. ..
Per my request, I recieved a 15.6 Panasonic drill for Christmas. I really

do
love the drill so far - they dont get much nicer than this. But here's my
question - instead of a regular, smooth flowing, chuck loosen/adjustment
like most chucks, this one has a sort of 'ratcheting' effect as you turn
it - don't know a better way to describe it. I suppose I can get used to

it,
I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something.

It's actually a very beneficial feature
Your drill/driver bits are far less likely to slip with these chucks as you
can tighten them easier.
One of my Pro Series Ryobi drills has this feature and its great. I don't
think its any slower than a non-ratcheting chuck though?

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Ryobi One+ Cordless Tool System
- Festool CT Mini Dust Extractor
- Kreg K3 Pocket Hole Joinery System
- Incra Miter Express
- Book: Scroll Saw Fundamentals
- Ryobi BT3100K Table Saw System

Posted to rec.woodworking
Matthew Eash

Congrats, my friend, you are now the owner of the best damn drill known to
mankind. And yes, the ratcheting is normal. Mine lives with a quick change
collet in it, so I don't open and close the chuck very often.

I have had mine for about 6mos and 6000 holes -- if I lose it today, I'll
buy a new one tomorrow. The drill is superb.

Matthew

"Jim Bailey" wrote in message
. ..
Per my request, I recieved a 15.6 Panasonic drill for Christmas. I really

do
love the drill so far - they dont get much nicer than this. But here's my
question - instead of a regular, smooth flowing, chuck loosen/adjustment
like most chucks, this one has a sort of 'ratcheting' effect as you turn
it - don't know a better way to describe it. I suppose I can get used to

it,
I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something.

jim

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"Jim Bailey" wrote in message
. ..
Per my request, I recieved a 15.6 Panasonic drill for Christmas. I really
do
love the drill so far - they dont get much nicer than this. But here's my
question - instead of a regular, smooth flowing, chuck loosen/adjustment
like most chucks, this one has a sort of 'ratcheting' effect as you turn
it - don't know a better way to describe it. I suppose I can get used to
it,
I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something.

Only ratchet I get is a click or so when it is tightened. You don't have
the clutch adjusted loose do you? I really like the one hand chuck.

No matter what brand of drill you have you may also want to consider getting
one of the quick change chucks if you are constantly changing back and forth
between a driver and drill bit. Takes less than a second to swap them.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian Elfert

"Leon" writes:

My now 11 year old Panasonic does that. Makita now uses a similar feature.
That is normal.

The Makita drills I have tried in the store are not quite the same as the
Panasonic drills. The Makita chucks only click when they get very close
to full tightness. The Paansonic chucks click every time the chuck is
adjusted which is very annoying.

I like the Panasonic, but I like the Makita LXT even better. I missed the
$500 deal at Home Depot before Christmas. Home Depot's web site said
12/25/05 was the last day for the sale. On Christmas day, the price still
showed as $503.20, but when put in the cart the price was $629.00. I'll
have to wait and see if Home Depot has a 20% power tools sale this winter,

Brian Elfert

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Brian Elfert" wrote in message
"Leon" writes:

My now 11 year old Panasonic does that. Makita now uses a similar
feature.
That is normal.

The Makita drills I have tried in the store are not quite the same as the
Panasonic drills. The Makita chucks only click when they get very close
to full tightness. The Paansonic chucks click every time the chuck is
adjusted which is very annoying.

Yeah the Panasonic clicks all the time but does only have to be turned 2 or
3 revolutions to go from full open to closed.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

As does Dewalt.

"Leon" wrote in message
. net...

Makita now uses a similar feature.
That is normal.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lobby Dosser

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Jim Bailey" wrote in message
. ..
Per my request, I recieved a 15.6 Panasonic drill for Christmas. I
really do
love the drill so far - they dont get much nicer than this. But
here's my question - instead of a regular, smooth flowing, chuck
loosen/adjustment like most chucks, this one has a sort of
'ratcheting' effect as you turn it - don't know a better way to
describe it. I suppose I can get used to it,
I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something.

Only ratchet I get is a click or so when it is tightened. You don't
have the clutch adjusted loose do you? I really like the one hand
chuck.

No matter what brand of drill you have you may also want to consider
getting one of the quick change chucks if you are constantly changing
back and forth between a driver and drill bit. Takes less than a
second to swap them.

Odd. I've got the 12 volt and the only ratcheting noise I get is changing
the torque. Chuck opens and closes silently.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

Happy new year CW.

"CW" wrote in message
ink.net...
As does Dewalt.

"Leon" wrote in message
. net...

Makita now uses a similar feature.
That is normal.

Posted to rec.woodworking
alexy

Lobby Dosser wrote:

Odd. I've got the 12 volt and the only ratcheting noise I get is changing
the torque. Chuck opens and closes silently.

Second that. Also the 12-volt. Not entirely clear whether all here are
talking about closing the chuck versus the clicking of the clutch
action (which I can get on the 12 volt with one-handed closing of the
chuck and low enough a torque setting)

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

Happy new year for you, Leon.

"Leon" wrote in message
om...
Happy new year CW.

"CW" wrote in message
ink.net...
As does Dewalt.

"Leon" wrote in message
. net...

Makita now uses a similar feature.
That is normal.

Posted to rec.woodworking
JJ

Brian Elfert wrote:
"Leon" writes:

My now 11 year old Panasonic does that. Makita now uses a similar feature.
That is normal.

The Makita drills I have tried in the store are not quite the same as the
Panasonic drills. The Makita chucks only click when they get very close
to full tightness. The Paansonic chucks click every time the chuck is
adjusted which is very annoying.

Let me get this straight. Are we really deciding on which drill to buy
based on whether the chuck clicks or not? Sheesh.

I thought I was being smart buying the 15.6V Panasonic because it drives
as many (or maybe more) screws on a charge than most 18V drills and it
weighs a whole lot less. But I guess I just don't get IT.

Have a Happy New Year y'all, (raising a flute of Korbel.)

-jj

--
Remove BOB to email me