Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

Default Any Saw Stop Owners

"Joe" wrote in message
Any one have problems with the cartridge firing off when it not supposed
to?
I have had three cartridge go off with no contact with the blade, Saw Stop
replaced the first two, have not called them about this one yet this is in
two week period
Joe

Not doubting that you are having problems with the cartridge misfiring but
how does it not hit the blade? I would think that there is something else
badly wrong if the cartridge fires but does not touch the blade.
OR are you saying that there was no contact with the blade to cause a
misfire.

I have not seen any complaints about the Saw Stop other than from the ones
that will not buy the saw. I do monitor this group on an almost daily
basis.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob S

Wow... 3 misfires, 3 cartridges and 3 new blades - that's starting to get
expensive.

Bob S.

"Joe" wrote in message
No it hits the blade alright, by no contact I mean blade with body parts
like fingers or any metal to blade contact. But the cartage is stopping
the
blade alright
Joe
"Leon" wrote in message
om...

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 21:15:26 GMT, Bob S wrote:
Wow... 3 misfires, 3 cartridges and 3 new blades - that's starting to get
expensive.

Ssssh, we're not allowed to comment because we wouldn't buy the saw. Or
something like that.

Posted to rec.woodworking
arw01

Bad ground would be my guess, followed by defective sine generator or
defective AD on the other end.

Sawstop should ship you a new saw and have that one picked up for
forensics..

Got any photos of the gore?

Alan

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Bob S" wrote in message
Wow... 3 misfires, 3 cartridges and 3 new blades - that's starting to get
expensive.

Bob S.

No kidding and hopefully Joe is correct in his observation of the misfire.
Do you remember back in the 60's when certain people could not wear wrist
watches as the watch would not keep correct time but did just fine on some
else's wrist? Or was that an Urban Legend? Anyway I wonder if it is
possible for some one to carry enough static electricity that he may set the
cartridge off by discharge?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe

Any one have problems with the cartridge firing off when it not supposed to?
I have had three cartridge go off with no contact with the blade, Saw Stop
replaced the first two, have not called them about this one yet this is in a
two week period
Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

Leon wrote:

Do you remember back in the 60's when certain people could not wear wrist
watches as the watch would not keep correct time but did just fine on some
else's wrist? Or was that an Urban Legend?

I personally know someone who can't wear a digital watch. Starts losing
time when she puts it on.

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jerry S.

"Leon" wrote in message
. net...

"Bob S" wrote in message
Wow... 3 misfires, 3 cartridges and 3 new blades - that's starting to get
expensive.

Bob S.

No kidding and hopefully Joe is correct in his observation of the
misfire.
Do you remember back in the 60's when certain people could not wear wrist
watches as the watch would not keep correct time but did just fine on some
else's wrist? Or was that an Urban Legend? Anyway I wonder if it is
possible for some one to carry enough static electricity that he may set
the cartridge off by discharge?

Maybe he's predisposed to spontaneous human combustion or something.
backing away slowly

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

In article , "Leon" wrote:

I have not seen any complaints about the Saw Stop other than from the ones
that will not buy the saw. I do monitor this group on an almost daily
basis.

Then you haven't been looking too carefully: PopWood reviewed the SawStop
recently, and they noted the same problem.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 22:06:22 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "Leon" wrote:

I have not seen any complaints about the Saw Stop other than from the ones
that will not buy the saw. I do monitor this group on an almost daily
basis.

Then you haven't been looking too carefully: PopWood reviewed the SawStop
recently, and they noted the same problem.

Ah, but that is the standard "I haven't listened to a single complaint"
kind of line, you see.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. net...
In article , "Leon"
wrote:

I have not seen any complaints about the Saw Stop other than from the
ones
that will not buy the saw. I do monitor this group on an almost daily
basis.

Then you haven't been looking too carefully: PopWood reviewed the SawStop
recently, and they noted the same problem.

Does PopWood post on this news group?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

Ah, but that is the standard "I haven't listened to a single complaint"
kind of line, you see.

You know Dave, at least I try to help rather than take your path of being a
cynic of Net Nanny.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
"Joe" wrote:

Any one have problems with the cartridge firing off when it not supposed to?
I have had three cartridge go off with no contact with the blade, Saw Stop
replaced the first two, have not called them about this one yet this is in a
two week period
Joe

Are you in the process of making a cut when this happens?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 21:15:26 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Bob
S" quickly quoth:

Wow... 3 misfires, 3 cartridges and 3 new blades - that's starting to get
expensive.

Don't try this at home with Forrest WWII blades, boys 'n girls.

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni
---
Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Ketchum

"Joe" wrote in message
Any one have problems with the cartridge firing off when it not supposed
to?
I have had three cartridge go off with no contact with the blade, Saw Stop
replaced the first two, have not called them about this one yet this is in
two week period
Joe

Is it running when it fires? It pretty much destroys the blade and throws
the saw out of whack doesn't it?
What a pain in the ass.

At least you will keep all of your fingers if you are never able to use the
saw!

Frank

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Frank Ketchum" wrote in message

At least you will keep all of your fingers if you are never able to use

the
saw!

Appropriately named also.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've had this happen with one of my SawStops. It misfired twice in a
week period. SawStop sent me free replacement cartridges and some
filters to put around one of the control cables in the saw. With the
filters in place I have not had a misfire since (4 months).

-- Craig

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

wrote:

I have not seen any complaints about the Saw Stop other than from the
ones
that will not buy the saw. I do monitor this group on an almost daily
basis.

Then you haven't been looking too carefully: PopWood reviewed the SawStop
recently, and they noted the same problem.

Does PopWood post on this news group?

Do you not read any sources of woodworking information other than this
newsgroup?

You didn't say you hadn't seen any complaints _here_. You said you hadn't seen
any complaints, period. Which leads me to conclude that you haven't been
looking very hard.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

In article et, "Frank Ketchum" wrote:

At least you will keep all of your fingers if you are never able to use the
saw!

True... but the same objective can be achieved at a much lower cost by simply
unplugging the saw. :-)

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
et...

Do you not read any sources of woodworking information other than this
newsgroup?

You didn't say you hadn't seen any complaints _here_. You said you hadn't
seen
any complaints, period. Which leads me to conclude that you haven't been
looking very hard.

Published magazine articles were not revalent to the OP's specific question
as his question was posted to those in this news group. That said, with you
mentioning the PopWood article he should now understand that there is
indeed some one else that has had this problem however he is probably not
going to get any personal feed back from the person that wrote that article.

(I have not seen any complaints about the Saw Stop other than from the ones
that will not buy the saw. I do monitor this group on an almost daily
basis.)

In a separate paragraph and with both sentences being in that paragraph, me
mentioning that I monitor this group on an almost daily basis would be the
indicator here that I was talking about people on this news group. It in no
way referenced any other source of information. A logical assumption would
be that I have not read any complaints _here_. My comments are simply my
findings and an answer to the OP question. His question, Any one have
problems with the cartridge firing off when it not supposed to?, was not
asking about articles so much as personal experience. I simply stated that
I have seen no reference of a problem myself although now that you have
mention that article I can now say that I have heard through some on a news
group that hey have read an article in PopWood an article that references a
cartridge misfiring. ;~) I'm as certain as you are that others are
probably having or going to have a similar problem. Anything could happen,
Unisaws tend to have a broken trunion problem. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

In article , "Leon" wrote:

[...]

IOW, you haven't been _looking_ for complaints anywhere but here. Hence my
comment that you haven't been looking very carefully. You've already amply
demonstrated that you're so wrapped up in the idea that the SawStop is the
greatest invention since sliced bread that you're not interested in hearing
about any of its problems.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. com...

IOW, you haven't been _looking_ for complaints anywhere but here.

Actually I have not been looking for complaints at all. I have read 3 other
reviews including a recent one in a magazine on the saw and none had any
mention of this problem.

Hence my comment that you haven't been looking very carefully.

Since I have not been looking for complaints at all, I have indeed not been
looking carefully.

You've already amply demonstrated that you're so wrapped up in the idea
that the SawStop is the
greatest invention since sliced bread that you're not interested in
hearing
about any of its problems.

Not so. I do believe it is a great idea but also believe that the saw has
to prove itself. I do however defend the idea of the saw and its safety
features and am not really interested in hearing non-fact based speculation
of what might happen. Up until this thread I have not heard anything
negative from an "actual user". Your mentioning the article and the posts
by 2 people on this thread have now proveded information that is more than
speculation.
No big deal, I now know that misfires have indeed been reported. It was
only a matter of time before that happened.
Thanks for pointing out the article.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Joe" wrote:

Any one have problems with the cartridge firing off when it not supposed

to?
I have had three cartridge go off with no contact with the blade, Saw

Stop
replaced the first two, have not called them about this one yet this is

in a
two week period
Joe

Are you in the process of making a cut when this happens?

Yes, only when cutting small parts like stair returns which we use a push
block to cut. But I have now learned that out of the ten people or so that
use this saw during the day it has always misfired on the same person, so it
sounds like the digital watch problem. I will be calling Saw Stop as soon as
the wake up this morning (west coast)
Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 15:24:31 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "Leon" wrote:

Published magazine articles were not revalent to the OP's specific question
as his question was posted to those in this news group.

Good Lord. Bill Clinton has been located, and he's shilling for
SawStop. It depends on what your definition of the word "is" is,
apparently.

In a separate paragraph and with both sentences being in that paragraph, me
mentioning that I monitor this group on an almost daily basis would be the
indicator here that I was talking about people on this news group. It in no
way referenced any other source of information. A logical assumption would
be that I have not read any complaints _here_.

No, your words were quite clear that you were unaware of any complaints.
So, were you looking other places as well and lied, or are you only
looking here and not seeing them.

IOW, you haven't been _looking_ for complaints anywhere but here. Hence my
comment that you haven't been looking very carefully. You've already amply
demonstrated that you're so wrapped up in the idea that the SawStop is the
greatest invention since sliced bread that you're not interested in hearing
about any of its problems.

Imagine my surprise. I wonder if anyone in this group tried to point
out the obvious design problems before they went to production.

Posted to rec.woodworking
nospambob

An instructor commented in mid50s she couldn't were a watch. Had to
hold it in her hand for times exercises.

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 21:34:07 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"Bob S" wrote in message
. ..
Wow... 3 misfires, 3 cartridges and 3 new blades - that's starting to get
expensive.

Bob S.

No kidding and hopefully Joe is correct in his observation of the misfire.
Do you remember back in the 60's when certain people could not wear wrist
watches as the watch would not keep correct time but did just fine on some
else's wrist? Or was that an Urban Legend? Anyway I wonder if it is
possible for some one to carry enough static electricity that he may set the
cartridge off by discharge?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob S

Now Doug,

It is so unlike you to point out the painfully obvious solution.....;-)

Bob S,

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. net...
In article et, "Frank
Ketchum" wrote:

At least you will keep all of your fingers if you are never able to use
the
saw!

True... but the same objective can be achieved at a much lower cost by
simply
unplugging the saw. :-)

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
alexy

Dave Hinz wrote:

Imagine my surprise. I wonder if anyone in this group tried to point
out the obvious design problems before they went to production.

Is that what is behind the vehemence of the anti sawstop feeling of a
few here? I think sawstop is a cool idea if:
1) it (or a future refinement of it) proves itself not to have
problems like the OP was citing,
2) the cost of the feature comes down, and
3) big brother doesn't suddenly get the idea of protecting me from
myself by requiring such technology.

If there were design problems some folks pointed out, I'd have to ask
if those pointing out the problems were arm-chair engineers, or folks
who really understood the technology very well. Even if the latter, is
it just bruised egos of having the advice ignored that is causing this
reaction, or is there something more that might explain such a strong
reaction?
Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Spitzer

"alexy" wrote in message
Dave Hinz wrote:

[...]

Alex -- Replace "nospam" with "mail" to reply by email. Checked
infrequently.

check the history of this back a few years. sawstop attempted to have the
gov't make it mandatory on all new saws, and holding the patent ...

Posted to rec.woodworking
alexy

"Charles Spitzer" wrote:

"alexy" wrote in message
.. .
Dave Hinz wrote:

Imagine my surprise. I wonder if anyone in this group tried to point
out the obvious design problems before they went to production.

Is that what is behind the vehemence of the anti sawstop feeling of a
few here?

snip

check the history of this back a few years. sawstop attempted to have the
gov't make it mandatory on all new saws, and holding the patent ...

Aha! That explains it. I still think it is a neat idea, but glad
enough in power did not buy into making it mandatory.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"alexy" wrote in message
Dave Hinz wrote:

Imagine my surprise. I wonder if anyone in this group tried to point
out the obvious design problems before they went to production.

Is that what is behind the vehemence of the anti sawstop feeling of a
few here?

Uh huh. They do not like the methods that Saw Stop was using in the
beginning to bring the saw to market so many have become disenchanted with
the company as a whole and despite the fact that it has been brought to
market in a more ethical way they refuse to admit its existence. I can see
their reasons for not wanting the government to mandate this technology but
this did not happen. Give it a rest. At ease. Put down your guns. LOL

I think sawstop is a cool idea if:
1) it (or a future refinement of it) proves itself not to have
problems like the OP was citing,
2) the cost of the feature comes down, and
3) big brother doesn't suddenly get the idea of protecting me from
myself by requiring such technology.

All legetimate points.

If there were design problems some folks pointed out, I'd have to ask
if those pointing out the problems were arm-chair engineers,

Yes, 95% of are. The other 5% have more level headed and have a
realistic out look.

or folks
who really understood the technology very well. Even if the latter, is
it just bruised egos of having the advice ignored that is causing this
reaction,

Bingo.

or is there something more that might explain such a strong
reaction?

Some people are just slow to change. Owners, those with actual hands on
experience with the machine seem to be pleased with their purchases. No one
has pointed out being dismayed with their purchase of the saw although it
does apear to have an acute misfire problem with some users.

Posted to rec.woodworking
John Emmons

hmm....sounds more like a "painless" solution to me...unless you count the
pain in making all those former table saw cuts by hand...

John E.

news

Ketchum" wrote:

At least you will keep all of your fingers if you are never able to use
the
saw!

True... but the same objective can be achieved at a much lower cost by
simply
unplugging the saw. :-)

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

In article , alexy wrote:

I think sawstop is a cool idea if:
1) it (or a future refinement of it) proves itself not to have
problems like the OP was citing,
2) the cost of the feature comes down, and
3) big brother doesn't suddenly get the idea of protecting me from
myself by requiring such technology.

It's that last one there that has a lot of us concerned. Big Brother already
got that idea, directly from SawStop. The company petitioned the CPSC to have
their technology made mandatory on all new table saws, and *that* is the
source of most of the anti-SawStop sentiment here.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

In article , "Leon" wrote:

Some people are just slow to change. Owners, those with actual hands on
experience with the machine seem to be pleased with their purchases.

Oh, yeah, the guy with three misfires (in as many weeks?) is real pleased with
his purchase, I'm sure. Uh-huh. Riiiiiiiight.

Like I said: you're so wrapped up in this idea that you can't bring yourself
to see or hear any of the problems with it.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

wrote:

Some people are just slow to change. Owners, those with actual hands on
experience with the machine seem to be pleased with their purchases.

Oh, yeah, the guy with three misfires (in as many weeks?) is real pleased
with
his purchase, I'm sure. Uh-huh. Riiiiiiiight.

So ask him if he is sorry that he purchased the saw and would seriousely
like to return it for a refund. I betting that he probably wants to keep
it. It is a machine, like an automobile except much cheaper. The world
ain't perfect. The tool is man made just like its competition. Nothing is
flawless.

Like I said: you're so wrapped up in this idea that you can't bring
yourself
to see or hear any of the problems with it.

You repeat that, did you for get that you said that? You refuse to
acknowledge that I have already acknowledged that there are in deed problems
with the machine now that the problems have actually materialized. It is as
wrong of a statement now as the first time you said it. I really have no
reason to defend the saw. I have no problem agreeing with you when what you
say holds water.

CH. push fit stop ends Peter Lynch UK diy 6 October 3rd 05 09:37 PM
LG DVC6500 behaves like 'stop' button pressed with DVD HandyMan Electronics Repair 3 October 1st 05 07:29 PM
Stop cock leaking Rich UK diy 7 September 29th 03 01:45 PM
Low water pressure and stop tap? Simom UK diy 1 July 24th 03 06:19 PM
Slow leak on compression joint - can't access stop cock The Natural Philosopher UK diy 4 July 10th 03 02:34 PM