David

Default Preventing rusty fingerprints on shoulder planes

My two shoulder planes keep getting rust marks even though I coat them
with wax and a liberal coat of T9. nothing else rusts in my shop and
it's not from humidity; it's from my fingers. Short of wearing gloves,
what might I to coat the sides of these planes with so I don't have to
keep removing rust. the soles are fine; it's just the sides where my
sweaty hands have touched.

Dave
Mike Marlow

"David" wrote in message
My two shoulder planes keep getting rust marks even though I coat them
with wax and a liberal coat of T9. nothing else rusts in my shop and
it's not from humidity; it's from my fingers. Short of wearing gloves,
what might I to coat the sides of these planes with so I don't have to
keep removing rust. the soles are fine; it's just the sides where my
sweaty hands have touched.

Maybe nothing Dave. This is something that guitar players have moaned about
forever. People like me have sweat than just seems to rust things and we'll
rot a set of strings in no time. I have to change my strings almost 3 times
as often as other people I play with. Fortunately, I don't worry much about
keeping my tools shine like new, or I'd drive myself crazy.
--

-Mike-

Toller

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

"David" wrote in message
[...]

When my wife was pregnant, her sweat rotted our Nordic Track like strong
acid. Went back to normal after delivery. Maybe you should see an
endocrinologist.

Mike Marlow

"David" wrote in message
[...]

I know what you're getting at and I am NOT pregnant!

--

-Mike-

Leon

"David" wrote in message
My two shoulder planes keep getting rust marks even though I coat them
with wax and a liberal coat of T9. nothing else rusts in my shop and it's
not from humidity; it's from my fingers. Short of wearing gloves, what
might I to coat the sides of these planes with so I don't have to keep
removing rust. the soles are fine; it's just the sides where my sweaty
hands have touched.

Dave

No wax ever worked for me including BoeShield. I get good results with Top
Cote.

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 17:57:38 -0700, David wrote:

it's just the sides where my sweaty hands have touched.

One of my friends (a smoker and a lab chemist) has sweat as corrosive as
something from Alien. A great many silver-plate ornaments have suffered
his black fingerprints o'doom and there's even one etched into the
chrome plated traverse handwheel of the lathe.

Maybe you could gun-blue your shoulder plane ?

BillyBob

"David" wrote in message
My two shoulder planes keep getting rust marks even though I coat them
with wax and a liberal coat of T9. nothing else rusts in my shop and
it's not from humidity; it's from my fingers. Short of wearing gloves,
what might I to coat the sides of these planes with so I don't have to
keep removing rust. the soles are fine; it's just the sides where my
sweaty hands have touched.

Have you ever tried Camellia oil? I use it on my hand planes.

Bob

Nobull4u

OK, your not pregnant but can you smell? There is a rare endocrine
disorder which could be effecting your persperation. No I'm not an
endocrinologist but have Kallmans Syndrome.

George

"CW" wrote in message
nk.net...
Gun blue won't help. Browning will though. Not so much that it will
prevent
it, it just won't show as bad.

Towel wipe before, WD40 after seems to work in my place. Don't need
anything but time to work up a good sweat, so I just do it by rote.

Layne

I'll second Bob's suggestion. I prefer to oil my tools than put a coat
of wax. Paste wax is hard and won't penetrate the metal's surface
(unless it's liquid parafin wax). You touch your plane while you're
applying the wax and I think the wax is sealing in the sweat from your
fingers. If you can't find camellia oil online you can use any
vegetable oil though I prefer camellia oil because it's thinner and
isn't as sticky. A little goes a long long way.

Layne