Tom Banes

Default Bosch Jig Saw

What a joy! Fired up a new Bosch 1590 EVS this weekend. Gift from the
LOML. My goodness, gracious, does it cut clean! I used it on a couple
of minor cuts that I'd normally just grab the handsaw for. That damn
thing crosscuts a twobyfer straighter, faster and cleaner than I can
with the HS. Probably means I need a new HS - 35 year old Craftsman
Krome Edge that's never seen a file.

After using a truly anicient Skil jig saw for many years (as seldom as
possible as its cuts were slow and nasty), the Bosch was an epiphany.
All the advice I read on it in here was spot-on (not that unusual if
you pick your posters). Thanks.

I KNOW it's keeper. It's going to live right by my tailess Makita
drill, on the bench, ready to hand.

Hmm, almost wish it was tailess.

noonenparticular

"Tom Banes" wrote in message
What a joy! Fired up a new Bosch 1590 EVS this weekend. Gift from the
LOML. My goodness, gracious, does it cut clean! I used it on a couple
of minor cuts that I'd normally just grab the handsaw for. That damn
thing crosscuts a twobyfer straighter, faster and cleaner than I can
with the HS. Probably means I need a new HS - 35 year old Craftsman
Krome Edge that's never seen a file.

After using a truly anicient Skil jig saw for many years (as seldom as
possible as its cuts were slow and nasty), the Bosch was an epiphany.
All the advice I read on it in here was spot-on (not that unusual if
you pick your posters). Thanks.

I KNOW it's keeper. It's going to live right by my tailess Makita
drill, on the bench, ready to hand.

Hmm, almost wish it was tailess.

ditto the barrel grip, ditto the fantastic.

jlc

GMD

#1 jigsaw. I install Kitchen Cabinets and it is pretty much the only saw I
need. Of course the miter saw is also used but for most general cuts can be
done with great accuratecy. I have had mine for 15 years and never had a
problem and I use it every day.
"Tom Banes" wrote in message
What a joy! Fired up a new Bosch 1590 EVS this weekend. Gift from the
LOML. My goodness, gracious, does it cut clean! I used it on a couple
of minor cuts that I'd normally just grab the handsaw for. That damn
thing crosscuts a twobyfer straighter, faster and cleaner than I can
with the HS. Probably means I need a new HS - 35 year old Craftsman
Krome Edge that's never seen a file.

After using a truly anicient Skil jig saw for many years (as seldom as
possible as its cuts were slow and nasty), the Bosch was an epiphany.
All the advice I read on it in here was spot-on (not that unusual if
you pick your posters). Thanks.

I KNOW it's keeper. It's going to live right by my tailess Makita
drill, on the bench, ready to hand.

Hmm, almost wish it was tailess.

Andy

I agree completely! Excellent saw, epiphany after using an old B&D.
Bosch does make a cordless jigsaw, and from everything I've read , it's
about as good as the 'tailed' one, just costs an extra hundred bucks.
So if you have the dough you can lose the cord. But even the cord on
the new bosch is so much nicer (softer, longer, doesn't pull the tool
around) than the old jigsaw (or old anything else) that I think I'll
keep mine around a little longer just to enjoy that.
Andy

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net

Yeah, I got mine a while back and like they say - it cuts wood like
butter! So darn smooth and a joy to use. I too had an old jigsaw and
perhaps am comparing it to that, but still it cuts clean, straight, and
has great control.

Enjoy!!!

Jack

Tom Banes wrote:
What a joy! Fired up a new Bosch 1590 EVS this weekend. Gift from the
LOML. My goodness, gracious, does it cut clean! I used it on a couple
of minor cuts that I'd normally just grab the handsaw for. That damn
thing crosscuts a twobyfer straighter, faster and cleaner than I can
with the HS. Probably means I need a new HS - 35 year old Craftsman
Krome Edge that's never seen a file.

After using a truly anicient Skil jig saw for many years (as seldom as
possible as its cuts were slow and nasty), the Bosch was an epiphany.
All the advice I read on it in here was spot-on (not that unusual if
you pick your posters). Thanks.

I KNOW it's keeper. It's going to live right by my tailess Makita
drill, on the bench, ready to hand.

Hmm, almost wish it was tailess.

Barry Lennox

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 15:50:27 -0500, Tom Banes
wrote:

What a joy! Fired up a new Bosch 1590 EVS this weekend. Gift from the
LOML. My goodness, gracious, does it cut clean! I used it on a couple
of minor cuts that I'd normally just grab the handsaw for. That damn
thing crosscuts a twobyfer straighter, faster and cleaner than I can
with the HS. Probably means I need a new HS - 35 year old Craftsman
Krome Edge that's never seen a file.

My experience also, Although I bought it as a Model 135 GST (Europe
and Pacific regions p/n) It seems to cut anything, and dead straight
too!

Some tools don't matter on price, I have a good Makita disk grinder
and a few Chiwanese Cheapies and can't really tell the difference.

Jigsaws are different, the Bosch is well worth every penny you save
for it, IMO

Barry Lennox

Okay...newbie here...let me get this straight...

With one of these babies (and the right technique), could I cut
through, say 4/4 cherry and actually have a straight cut? And by
straight, I don't mean "following the lines," but rather one without
blade deflection?

My current jigsaw is used for nothing but getting a piece of too-long
board out of the way...no matter how slowly I cut, I always end up with
an irregularly "beveled" cut.

What say the board members?

Stephen M

wrote in message
oups.com...
Okay...newbie here...let me get this straight...

With one of these babies (and the right technique), could I cut
through, say 4/4 cherry and actually have a straight cut? And by
straight, I don't mean "following the lines," but rather one without
blade deflection?

If you use the appropriate Progressor blade and just let the blade cut
without undue presure, that's pretty much the case.

Bosch "Progressor" blades are excellent and they have some that are a little
thicker specifically to minimize blade deflection.

Steve - A happy Bosch owner.

ks

A feature of the new Bosch is it has a clasping mechanism below the normal
guides that can be engaged when the cut has to be precise. It rubs on either
side of the blade to keep it stiff. Although not 100% foolproof, it really
helps keep the blade from deflecting

wrote in message
oups.com...
Okay...newbie here...let me get this straight...

With one of these babies (and the right technique), could I cut
through, say 4/4 cherry and actually have a straight cut? And by
straight, I don't mean "following the lines," but rather one without
blade deflection?

My current jigsaw is used for nothing but getting a piece of too-long
board out of the way...no matter how slowly I cut, I always end up with
an irregularly "beveled" cut.

What say the board members?

I'm not sure I understand the question. With the jigsaw, it'll cut
whereever you guide it - so I always "follow the lines". Whatever line I
follow, that's where it cuts.

Jack

I'm not talking about "following the lines," my garbage saw will do
that.

I'm talking about the cut you're attemtping to make actually being cut
at 90 degrees...too much blade deflection means your cuts are bevelled
when they're not intended to be. It's the #1 problem with most jigsaws.

Edwin Pawlowski

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote
in message

With the jigsaw, it'll cut whereever you guide it - so I always "follow
the lines". Whatever line I follow, that's where it cuts.

Bosch, yes. B & D, no.

Patriarch

"ks" wrote in news:WSUZe.250470$9A2.178917@edtnps89:

A feature of the new Bosch is it has a clasping mechanism below the
normal guides that can be engaged when the cut has to be precise. It
rubs on either side of the blade to keep it stiff. Although not 100%
foolproof, it really helps keep the blade from deflecting

It works, too. This Bosch jigsaw is worth the investment.

Lately, I find that I'm using it to 'break down' sheet goods, before they
go to the table saw, rather than using a circular (framing) saw. Used with
a clamping guide, I get pretty close. Good, sharp (Bosch brand) blades, of
the proper type, really help.

I also used this saw recently to trim aluminum bathroom shower door
extrusions, where I thought I might need to search out a metal cutting
bandsaw at a neighbor's shop. Worked pretty well.

This is one of those tools that I would buy again, without even looking at
the competition. It's that good.

Patriarch
Mike Berger

Unfortunately, only the 1590 was on sale here (for $ 84.95!) so
I'm stuck with the conventional grip.

Scott wrote:
I just got a new 1591 barrel grip and it is also a fantastic tool to use.
It's one like Norm uses.

Patriarch

Mike Berger wrote in
:

Unfortunately, only the 1590 was on sale here (for $ 84.95!) so
I'm stuck with the conventional grip.

Certainly a gloatable price, on an excellent tool.

You weren't complaining, were you?

Patriarch
Ron Bean

Patriarch writes:

Lately, I find that I'm using it to 'break down' sheet goods, before they
go to the table saw, rather than using a circular (framing) saw. Used with
a clamping guide, I get pretty close. Good, sharp (Bosch brand) blades, of
the proper type, really help.

I agree with "pretty close"-- certainly close enough if you're going to
re-trim them on the table saw. I don't think it's a complete replacement
for a circular saw with a guide rail, but it's good enough in many
cases (and IMHO easier to use), whereas the cheap POS jigsaws aren't.

And you definitely want the Bosch brand blades.

bob

1591. Best tool I ever bought. Hell, I use it to cut bread, turkey, you name
it.

--
Bob

Travel and Astronomy Photos