Junkyard Engineer

Default Cordless drill choice

My old 12V Dewalt is near the end after 17 years.

The work is woodworking, metal working sometimes, concrete drilling
sometimes, gyprock, etc.

Money is not my first choice parameter. Battery length, torque, guarantee,
weight are.

If you had the choice to choose the best cordless drill for yourself, what
would be your choice ?

Thanks for helping !

Upscale

"Junkyard Engineer" wrote in message
My old 12V Dewalt is near the end after 17 years.

Money is not my first choice parameter. Battery length, torque, guarantee,
weight are.

Although battery technology has improved over the years, I believe you'll
still find that battery life and power still come with increased weight and
size of the battery. I don't believe you're going to be able to easily
reconcile the two. Have you considered having the batteries on your 12V
Dewalt rebuilt?

Ted Evans

Years ago I purchased a 9.6v Panasonic on the recommendation of a cabinet
shop that had five different makes of cordless drills. Loved it, but when
the batteries died after about 10 to 12 years it was replaced by a 12v
DeWalt, which I still have. Never have liked the DeWalt so purchased a
Panasonic 12v a couple of years ago and love it. Pick one up and feel the
balance compared to the other makes. I think the batteries are superior to
other makes also.

Just my two cents.

Ted

Edwin Pawlowski

"Junkyard Engineer" wrote in message

If you had the choice to choose the best cordless drill for yourself, what
would be your choice ?

I've used Ryobi, Porter Cable, DeWalt. Bought a Panasonic and I'm very
happy with it. Good balance and weight to power ratio.

Upscale

"Junkyard Engineer" wrote in message
changed the batteries once, lost the second range of speed years ago and

the
hammer do not work anymore...

And as a final consideration, I guess there's that "new toy" feeling we all
like to get when upgrading something.

When I did the searching (about a year ago), the Panasonic 15.6 volt
gave the best power-to-weight and battery runtime of anything. I love
this thing. Not too heavy, but a beast when it has to be. Recharge
time is very quick also.

BillyBob

"Junkyard Engineer" wrote in message
news
If you had the choice to choose the best cordless drill for yourself, what
would be your choice ?

I like the yellow color. Dewalt DW987KA

Bob

Leon

"Junkyard Engineer" wrote in message
news
My old 12V Dewalt is near the end after 17 years.

Geez, I was totally unaware that DeWalt make cordless 12 volt drills 17
years ago.

Upscale

"Leon" wrote in message
Geez, I was totally unaware that DeWalt make cordless 12 volt drills 17
years ago.

Well, my Milwaukee 12V cordless was bought almost 13 years ago, so maybe
he's a little out of line, but not that much.

Junkyard Engineer

My wife always says that in a men, the sure thing that will change, is
memory

But if I remember well, i did renovation of my 2 duplexes at the beginning
of the 90's with it.

It has served me well over the years but lost the second speed range quite
soon and the hammer soon after. So, DeWalt has been good but not the best

"Upscale" a écrit dans le message de news:
"Leon" wrote in message
Geez, I was totally unaware that DeWalt make cordless 12 volt drills 17
years ago.

Well, my Milwaukee 12V cordless was bought almost 13 years ago, so maybe
he's a little out of line, but not that much.

Randal

Junkyard Engineer wrote:

My old 12V Dewalt is near the end after 17 years.

The work is woodworking, metal working sometimes, concrete drilling
sometimes, gyprock, etc.

Money is not my first choice parameter. Battery length, torque, guarantee,
weight are.

If you had the choice to choose the best cordless drill for yourself, what
would be your choice ?

Thanks for helping !

If money is no object, my three choices would be between, the Panasonic
(always tends to win best choice awards), the new 28v Milwaukee, or the
Rigid (with it's lifetime warranty they are now offering).
Unquestionably Confused

Upscale wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

Geez, I was totally unaware that DeWalt make cordless 12 volt drills 17
years ago.

Well, my Milwaukee 12V cordless was bought almost 13 years ago, so maybe
he's a little out of line, but not that much.

My Makita 7.2 volt (removable stick battery) 3/8" drill started spitting
out woodchips in early 1989 and I know I wasn't the first kid on the
block to have one.

C & S

If money is no object, my three choices would be between, the Panasonic
(always tends to win best choice awards), the new 28v Milwaukee, or the
Rigid (with it's lifetime warranty they are now offering).

I have got to beleive that that warantee does not cover batteries. Until the
battery technology settles down and/or gets a whole lot better, onlt count
on a cordless drill for a decade (for a good one).

I would be skeptical of a lifetime warantee from Rigid.

STeve

Chris

"C & S" wrote in message
If money is no object, my three choices would be between, the Panasonic
(always tends to win best choice awards), the new 28v Milwaukee, or the
Rigid (with it's lifetime warranty they are now offering).

I have got to beleive that that warantee does not cover batteries. Until
the
battery technology settles down and/or gets a whole lot better, onlt count
on a cordless drill for a decade (for a good one).

I would be skeptical of a lifetime warantee from Rigid.

STeve

Just my two cents. While the Panasonic is an excellent choice, I would not
rule out a Festool (now that they are in the US). Afford one and you will
be finding excuses just to use it. I polish mine from time to time.

--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
soldier. If it is in ebonics, thank your Congressman.

Leon

"Unquestionably Confused" wrote in message
.. .
My Makita 7.2 volt (removable stick battery) 3/8" drill started spitting
out woodchips in early 1989 and I know I wasn't the first kid on the block
to have one.

I recall Makita 7.2 volt drills being sold by the SnapOn man at the car
dealer ship I worked at in the late 70's and 80's but it was not until IIRC
the early 90's that I recall seeing any 12 models of anything being offered.

Leon

"C & S" wrote in message
If money is no object, my three choices would be between, the Panasonic
(always tends to win best choice awards), the new 28v Milwaukee, or the
Rigid (with it's lifetime warranty they are now offering).

I have got to beleive that that warantee does not cover batteries. Until
the
battery technology settles down and/or gets a whole lot better, onlt count
on a cordless drill for a decade (for a good one).

I would be skeptical of a lifetime warantee from Rigid.

I talked to Ridgid about the batteries and the Lifetime warranty. It truly
does cover EVERYTHING including the batteries.

Junkyard Engineer

"Leon" a écrit dans le message de news:

"C & S" wrote in message
If money is no object, my three choices would be between, the Panasonic
(always tends to win best choice awards), the new 28v Milwaukee, or the
Rigid (with it's lifetime warranty they are now offering).

I have got to beleive that that warantee does not cover batteries. Until
the
battery technology settles down and/or gets a whole lot better, onlt
count
on a cordless drill for a decade (for a good one).

I would be skeptical of a lifetime warantee from Rigid.

I talked to Ridgid about the batteries and the Lifetime warranty. It
truly does cover EVERYTHING including the batteries.

Batterie included ! Hummm... I have to check that one out

Limey Lurker

If you had the choice to choose the best
cordless drill for yourself, what
would be your choice ?

A Festool would be superb, but, IME, there
is nothing finer than a Fein.

no(SPAM)vasys

C & S wrote:

snip

I would be skeptical of a lifetime warantee from Rigid.

STeve

Here's a section of Ridgid's Lifetime Service Agreement:

"To obtain service for this RIDGID® tool under the Lifetime Service
Agreement, you must return it to One World Technologies, Inc., attn:
RIDGID® Hand Held and Stationary Power Tool Technical Service, 1428
Pearman Dairy Rd, Anderson, SC 29625, freight prepaid, or take it to a
designated service center. You may obtain the location of the designated
service center nearest you by calling (toll free) 1-866-539-1710 or by
logging on to www.ridgid.com. Not all authorized RIDGID® Brand service
centers have been approved to provide service under the Lifetime Service
Agreement. When requesting service under the Lifetime Service Agreement,
you must present your Lifetime Service Agreement Identification Number
and proper personal identification (a valid driver's license, passport,
or military I.D. or a valid Social Security card with photo ID). The
designated service center will repair or replace any part covered under
the Lifetime Service Agreement, at our option, at no charge to you."

See:

http://www.ridgid.com/Manuals/RidgidLSA.pdf

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Robatoy

In article ,
"C & S" wrote:

I would be skeptical of a lifetime warantee from Rigid.

You best BE skeptical. They won't honour some of their life-time
warranties on their sanders.."because they have been used too much."
Robatoy

In article ,
"Junkyard Engineer" wrote:

My old 12V Dewalt is near the end after 17 years.

The work is woodworking, metal working sometimes, concrete drilling
sometimes, gyprock, etc.

Money is not my first choice parameter. Battery length, torque, guarantee,
weight are.

If you had the choice to choose the best cordless drill for yourself, what
would be your choice ?

Thanks for helping !

Simple. Festool, Fein, Panasonic, Milwaukee.. in that order.

I'm due for a new impact driver soon....

*shrugs* Dunno, dude...
Theo Veenstra

Festool: I just went for this one.
http://www.festoolusa.com/ProductDet...prodid=PCDD12S
Originally thought the excenter and right-angle chuck might come in handy
once a year or so. But it turns out I'm using these two quite a lot..

Theo

"Junkyard Engineer" wrote in message
news
My old 12V Dewalt is near the end after 17 years.

The work is woodworking, metal working sometimes, concrete drilling
sometimes, gyprock, etc.

Money is not my first choice parameter. Battery length, torque, guarantee,
weight are.

If you had the choice to choose the best cordless drill for yourself, what
would be your choice ?

Thanks for helping !

I've always liked Makita. Even though you said money isn't the top
priority, they have $50 rebates going right now that make some great
delas (18V kit, $140 on Amazon).

Junkyard Engineer

That's pretty much the concensus here.

Simple. Festool, Fein, Panasonic, Milwaukee.. in that order.

I'm due for a new impact driver soon....

*shrugs* Dunno, dude...

Billy

Well I went ahead and bought the Panasonic. I just wanted the 12 volt
but they didn't have the one with metal-hydride [sp?] batteries in stock
and the 15.6 was only $10 more so being the typical pick-up truck
driving American I am I thought "if it's only $10 more and it's heavier
and more powerful why not?"
Now I'll be able to strip out every screw in a drawer glide in moments.
Upscale

"Archangel" wrote in message

I'll have to recheck the literature that came with my cordless combo kit,
I may have just assumed the batteries were considered one of consumable
items not covered.

At the very least, figure that the initial cost of the drill includes one or
two occurrences of the replacement or rebuilding cost of batteries that have
died. I'm also sure they figure that newer technology would have taken over
a certain time period after that and the owner will upgrade anyway. Lifetime
warranty often means only while the product is active in the market. I'm
willing to bet this model won't be active fifteen years from now. Hell, it
will probably be considered an antique by then.

Can anyone tell that I'm a cynical SOB?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Upscale" wrote in message

Can anyone tell that I'm a cynical SOB?

An admirable quality to have.

Dave Balderstone

In article , Upscale
wrote:

Can anyone tell that I'm a cynical SOB?

heh. See sig line...

djb

--
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who
have not got it." -- G.B. Shaw

drill bit sharpening [email protected] Metalworking 22 April 29th 05 04:29 PM
cordless drill questions Mickey Feldman Metalworking 24 July 26th 04 11:46 AM
New Cordless drill steve UK diy 3 July 5th 04 11:55 AM
Milwaukee Hammer Drill or regular cordless.... Sam Woodworking 4 January 9th 04 01:37 AM
What constitutes reasonable wear (cordless drill) Grunff UK diy 43 September 19th 03 11:54 AM