Sam

Default Milwaukee Hammer Drill or regular cordless....

Okay, I'm sort of clueless here....but I need a drill to just do some
general tasks around the house. Nothing large at least yet, but I
might as well just buy one drill and keep it for the rest of my life
(or at least 20 years).

After looking around the web I'd sort of decided to buy the Milwaukee
0622-24 18 Volt 1/2" Lok-Tor Driver/Drill Kit but then I realized that
for $10 more I could get the 0624 which appears to be identical except
for the "hammer" feature.

I don't think I have any reason for a hammer drill, but is it true
that the drill will be the same besides the hammer option?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Sam
Subw00er

A hammer drill is not what you are looking for, it provides a impact force
to the bit while drillling to help get through tough materials, namely
concrete/bricks. The Milwaukee are suppposed to be great tools. I have
several cordless Dewalt drills and am very happy with all of them. Get at
least a 14V and you cant go wrong. The XRP series is great, stronger with
faster charging battery but it is heavier and can wear on the arm if you use
it a lot and are not used to the weight. The basic 14V cordless version is a
great drill and I use that primarily, even though I have the XPR stuff. I do
put the XPR battery in it though, they are interchangeable with the standard
14.4V packs.

"Sam" wrote in message
m...
Okay, I'm sort of clueless here....but I need a drill to just do some
general tasks around the house. Nothing large at least yet, but I
might as well just buy one drill and keep it for the rest of my life
(or at least 20 years).

After looking around the web I'd sort of decided to buy the Milwaukee
0622-24 18 Volt 1/2" Lok-Tor Driver/Drill Kit but then I realized that
for $10 more I could get the 0624 which appears to be identical except
for the "hammer" feature.

I don't think I have any reason for a hammer drill, but is it true
that the drill will be the same besides the hammer option?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Sam

LegMan

Sam wrote:

Okay, I'm sort of clueless here....but I need a drill to just do some
general tasks around the house. Nothing large at least yet, but I
might as well just buy one drill and keep it for the rest of my life
(or at least 20 years).

After looking around the web I'd sort of decided to buy the Milwaukee
0622-24 18 Volt 1/2" Lok-Tor Driver/Drill Kit but then I realized that
for $10 more I could get the 0624 which appears to be identical except
for the "hammer" feature.

While the drill itself may last, the availability of batteries for it
almost certainly would not! Only the corded version would meet your 20+
years of life criteria.

I don't think I have any reason for a hammer drill, but is it true
that the drill will be the same besides the hammer option?

The hammer mechanism will add significant weight to an already heavy
"cordless" drill in addition to more complexity.

That being said, Milwaukee has always had a pretty good reputation for
quality, though I don't know if that carries through to the cordless
arena.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Sam

If I may suggest, get yourself one of the "midrange" cordless drills
for general use (the Ryobi 14.4v kit comes to mind) and, should you
require it, and your budget allows, a 1/2" corded hammer-drill for
those tough jobs (the Milwaukee 1/2" pistol grip "Magnum" hammer-drill
is the one I've used... and recommend).

HTH,

LegMan (remove 999 for eMail)
ws

I got that same set last Summer. Used it to redo my deck, and have lots of
other future plans for it as well. Haven't used the hammer-drill option
yet, but I have no problem just having it in case I ever need it (have had
some thoughts on projects though ...). I had the same thought as you - buy
one set that'll last me until forever. Yes, the batteries will go
eventually, but they can be replaced by Milwaukee, or else (and there are
threads in the REC on this) I can have them redone by aftermarket battery
refurbishers.

The Milwaukee set, "Big Red", is fantastic. TONS of torque. Yeah, they're
on the heavy side, but I don't mind. I use my little Ryobi 12V when I'm
doing lots of overhead work.

You'll like this set. Amazon had the best price I could find last Summer,
by the way. Even used their price-match service and got another ~$30 off.
Don't remember who the other retailer was though ... sorry.

ws

"Sam" wrote in message
m...
Okay, I'm sort of clueless here....but I need a drill to just do some
general tasks around the house. Nothing large at least yet, but I
might as well just buy one drill and keep it for the rest of my life
(or at least 20 years).

After looking around the web I'd sort of decided to buy the Milwaukee
0622-24 18 Volt 1/2" Lok-Tor Driver/Drill Kit but then I realized that
for $10 more I could get the 0624 which appears to be identical except
for the "hammer" feature.

I don't think I have any reason for a hammer drill, but is it true
that the drill will be the same besides the hammer option?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Sam

Paul Gilbert

If this was a question about "do I buy a cabinet grade table saw or a
contractors" I would weigh in with buy the good stuff now rather than
upgrade later. Not so with "disposable tools". Go to Harbor Freight or
something similar on the web and buy a $39.95 12V drill. When you really
need something bigger buy it then. By then the battery on the old one will
have failed and new ones cost $40.00. As to a hammer, I have a DeWalt 18V
hammer and the hammer part is worthless. I needed to punch some anchor
bolts into concrete so I went to Harbor and bought a $39.95 "real" hammer
drill (120 VAC). I punched 15 holes in less time than it took to do one
with the DeWalt.
Paul Gilbert in New Orleans

m...