LegMan

Default Milwaukee Hammer Drill or regular cordless....

Sam wrote:

Okay, I'm sort of clueless here....but I need a drill to just do some
general tasks around the house. Nothing large at least yet, but I
might as well just buy one drill and keep it for the rest of my life
(or at least 20 years).

After looking around the web I'd sort of decided to buy the Milwaukee
0622-24 18 Volt 1/2" Lok-Tor Driver/Drill Kit but then I realized that
for $10 more I could get the 0624 which appears to be identical except
for the "hammer" feature.

While the drill itself may last, the availability of batteries for it
almost certainly would not! Only the corded version would meet your 20+
years of life criteria.

I don't think I have any reason for a hammer drill, but is it true
that the drill will be the same besides the hammer option?

The hammer mechanism will add significant weight to an already heavy
"cordless" drill in addition to more complexity.

That being said, Milwaukee has always had a pretty good reputation for
quality, though I don't know if that carries through to the cordless
arena.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Sam

If I may suggest, get yourself one of the "midrange" cordless drills
for general use (the Ryobi 14.4v kit comes to mind) and, should you
require it, and your budget allows, a 1/2" corded hammer-drill for
those tough jobs (the Milwaukee 1/2" pistol grip "Magnum" hammer-drill
is the one I've used... and recommend).

HTH,

LegMan (remove 999 for eMail)