Junior Member

Default Sanding Disc for Table saw

I've been reading Ken Burton's book: Table Saw Tips & Tricks. He talks about a 10" sanding disc that you install in place of your blade so you can use your table saw as a disc sander. He said the disc had a tapered edge on one side so that you could use it also as an egde sander/jointer. Does anyone know where I can buy one of these discs? I've looked for an e-mail contact for Ken Burton but so far no luck. Thanks for your help!
Greg
Rob Mills

"Matisse" wrote in message

Does anyone know where I can buy one of these discs?

Woodcraft for one, Sears used to have them but don't know about them
anymore. RM~

Freud makes one:

http://freud-tools.com/frcd10caands.html

but I'd be afraid of what extended use of it on my tablesaw would do
to my bearings. Plus, tablesaw is typically 4000 rpm, disc sander usually
around half that. Remember the guy that wanted to use his router as a
spindle sander?

RonB

I used the Sears version for years. Worked fine.

RonB

Andy

Woodworker's supply has one - woodworker.com or
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...PARTNUM=95-430

George

"RonB" wrote in message
I used the Sears version for years. Worked fine.

Is that the one with the grit embedded in a metal surface or one with a
paper disk attached? I have the former, and many years of use from both dad
and myself.

Robatoy

In article yA1Le.6757$Pl1.1101@okepread02, "RonB"
wrote:

I used the Sears version for years. Worked fine.

RonB

Me too. Used it waaaaaaay back and found it absolutely functional albeit
dusty as ol' heck. I thought it was very clever. Funny thing is..I went
to a 6" Delta jointer because I felt that chips were easier to manage
than dust. This was well before DC's were as common as they are now in
small shops.

BillyBob

wrote in message news:cKXKe.216484$on1.205331@clgrps13...

but I'd be afraid of what extended use of it on my tablesaw would do
to my bearings.

Hear here! I think using table saws and drill presses for things that force
side loads is asking for long range trouble. We pay good money for the
precision of these machines.

Bob

Dan Major

"BillyBob" wrote in
k.net:

wrote in message

but I'd be afraid of what extended use of it on my tablesaw would do
to my bearings.

Hear here! I think using table saws and drill presses for things that
force side loads is asking for long range trouble. We pay good money
for the precision of these machines.

I've got one of these for my table saw. It does jobs no other tool I have
will do. If you;re applying much of a side load, you are either using worn
out paper or the wrong grit. Mine eats through most anything with little
or no pressure. The only problem I've had is that the paper is buckling
from extremes in temperatures.

Bill Leonhardt

"Matisse" wrote in message

I've been reading Ken Burton's book: Table Saw Tips & Tricks. He talks
about a 10" sanding disc that you install in place of your blade so you
can use your table saw as a disc sander. He said the disc had a tapered
edge on one side so that you could use it also as an egde
sander/jointer. Does anyone know where I can buy one of these discs?
I've looked for an e-mail contact for Ken Burton but so far no luck.

Matisse,

Others have told you where to buy one. I made one. It's not for precision
work but it does a great job of cleaning up small surfaces and breaking
edges.

I made a 9 inch disk out of 3/4" plywood and bored a 5/8" thru hole in the
center. The 3/4" thickness was too much to clear my arbor length so I had
to rout a 5/8 wide by 1/4 deep dado in the back surface so I could slip it
on.

Using a 9" diameter lets you cut sanding disks from ordinary sheets of
sandpaper. At first I rubber-cemented the sandpaper to the plywood but
found out later that it wasn't necessary. I merely clamp the paper to the
plywood disk using the arbor nut and washer. I suppose, if needed, you
could use a fender washer to get more clamping area.

It works good for me. The only downside is that there is no insert in the
table top so I need to take care that nothing gets caught there.

Bill Leonhardt

Junior Member

I just want to thank all of you for your input. Greatly appreciated.

While we're on the topic of Table Saws both Ken Burton and Kelly Mehler talk about replacing the stock pullys on the contractor saw with machined pulleys (as well as using a link belt in leiu of the V-belt...what a huge difference that made by the way) I've done a search on google but can't seem to find anything about where to get such an item. Is this strictly a custom order or is someone manufacturing machine replacement pullys specifically for Delta Contractor Saws?

Again, thanks for all your help.

Greg
Bruce

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 17:42:50 -0600, Matisse wrote
(in article ):

I've been reading Ken Burton's book: Table Saw Tips & Tricks. He talks
about a 10" sanding disc that you install in place of your blade so you
can use your table saw as a disc sander. He said the disc had a tapered
edge on one side so that you could use it also as an egde
sander/jointer. Does anyone know where I can buy one of these discs?
I've looked for an e-mail contact for Ken Burton but so far no luck.
Thanks for your help!
Greg

I use my old 8" Craftsman saw as a disc sander (when it's not set up as a wet
tile saw 8^)

I just spray glued sandpaper to an old non-carbide fine tooth plywood blade.
Works like a charm.

-Bruce

DDG

Also, http://www.in-lineindustries.com/products.html has them. I changed
out mine on a 50-60somthing vintage Craftsman and seemed to work well.
I'm not sure it is a lot different but I needed a belt and they worked
with me to adjust the blade speed to what is considered proper speed. It
was an easy switch once I got the correct pully sizes. First set had
wrong bore but they fixed it with an email. This is the same ones
Woodcraft sells they just don't have the alternate bore pully sizes. -
Good luck.

Larry Spitz wrote in
:

Matisse wrote:
I just want to thank all of you for your input. Greatly appreciated.

While we're on the topic of Table Saws both Ken Burton and Kelly
Mehler talk about replacing the stock pullys on the contractor saw
with machined pulleys (as well as using a link belt in leiu of the
V-belt...what a huge difference that made by the way) I've done a
search on google but can't seem to find anything about where to get
such an item. Is this strictly a custom order or is someone
manufacturing machine replacement pullys specifically for Delta
Contractor Saws?

Again, thanks for all your help.

Greg

Patriarch

Matisse wrote in
:

I've been reading Ken Burton's book: Table Saw Tips & Tricks. He talks
about a 10" sanding disc that you install in place of your blade so you
can use your table saw as a disc sander. He said the disc had a tapered
edge on one side so that you could use it also as an egde
sander/jointer. Does anyone know where I can buy one of these discs?
I've looked for an e-mail contact for Ken Burton but so far no luck.
Thanks for your help!
Greg

This is a good reason to find a garage sale Shopsmith. Variable speed,
movable plate, variable angle on the table, comes with the sanding plate
from the factory.

NOT sufficient reason to buy one new.

Patriarch

150 mm Sanding disc wanted for B&Q's CLM450ROS Terry Birch UK diy 7 April 17th 16 06:51 PM
Sanding questions. sandman Woodworking 8 December 16th 04 03:56 AM
sanding your turnings william kossack Woodturning 7 October 19th 04 02:47 PM
Kenwood KDC-C601 10 disc changer [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 September 2nd 03 01:10 AM
How to do drywall taping without sanding? Eric Ryder Home Ownership 2 July 29th 03 12:30 AM