CNT

Default "too much" raised panels?

http://members.toast.net/cnt/TV.htm

OK, the link above is a drawing of what I want to make soon. The drawing
is NOT to scale! There are also two real pictures of what I already made
for the kids.

The reason I am showing the pictures of the kid's TV center is to show
how much "plain" wood is exposed around the corners. For the kids, it's
perfectly fine. But, for the living/family room, I want to make it nicer.

The difference between the drawing and the pictures is the drawing has
doors enclosures. The front doors (sliding to hid the doors in sides) is
to cover the TV, VCR, and stereo. The sides will cover VHS, DVD, and
other little junks.

My question is would it be "too much" raised panels if I do raised panels
for the corners (2 front, 2 back and four 45-degree). It would be eight
of ~5" raised panels (see top view, last picture).

I could make the front wider and the 45-degree shorter? That way only 4
sides (2 front and 2 back) would be raised panels and the short would be
small plain 45-degree strip.

I also did a sample of smooth round corner. The problem is how to put
crown molding around it (on top)? With "straights", I could easily put
dental crown molding on it.

Any suggestions? Pictures? Plans? Drawings?

Chuck
bf

CNT wrote:

My question is would it be "too much" raised panels if I do raised panels
for the corners (2 front, 2 back and four 45-degree). It would be eight
of ~5" raised panels (see top view, last picture).

I'm far from being the expert. However, when you make a raised panel,
aren't the rails and styles typically 2.25 inches wide (that's what I
use)..
doesn't leave much room for a panel if the whole thing is 5" wide.
That was a design problem I had when doing my new fireplace mantel. I
wanted to do raised panels on either side of the fireplace.. anyhow, I
did some mock ups, and it really didn't look good until the unit
(including styles) was about 12" wide.

CNT

Correct...

aren't the rails and styles typically 2.25 inches wide

However, can do like 1.25" and use something like CMT 800.518.11

doesn't leave much room for a panel if the whole thing is 5" wide.

Another way is I could just router a three-line strip grooves.

Chuck
Patriarch

CNT wrote in :

Correct...

aren't the rails and styles typically 2.25 inches wide

However, can do like 1.25" and use something like CMT 800.518.11

doesn't leave much room for a panel if the whole thing is 5" wide.

Another way is I could just router a three-line strip grooves.

Chuck

Check out a good book or two on kitchen cabinet designs for ideas. They
often need to solve similar corner and side treament challenges.

Patriarch
Richard

Patriarch,

Any suggestions for specific books? I'm fairly new to furniture design
and am looking for a good reference on different design concepts.

Thanks,
Richard

Patriarch

"Richard" wrote in news:1121202709.893868.25150
@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Patriarch,

Any suggestions for specific books? I'm fairly new to furniture design
and am looking for a good reference on different design concepts.

Thanks,
Richard

Udo Schmidt, Taunton Press, "Building Kitchen Cabinets"
Jim Tolpin, Taunton Press, "Building Traditional Kitchen Cabinets"
almost anything by the late Danny Proulx

and many others...

But these I've read and used. Others have expressed their opinions,
recently, in a thread on, I think, building your own kitchen cabinets.
Swingman posted today to that thread, with links to pictures of a kitchen
he's done in a house he's building.

Patriarch
CNT

I don't see anything that he does in regards to what I am inquiring about?
Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful (as I congratulate to him in recent
post). All his work has sharp corners.

Swingman posted today to that thread, with links to pictures of a
kitchen he's done in a house he's building.

I am looking for small strip ideas (say 5-6" wide and 6' tall). See my
original post with link to my webpage.

Chuck
Swingman

"CNT" wrote in message
I don't see anything that he does in regards to what I am inquiring about?
Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful (as I congratulate to him in recent
post). All his work has sharp corners.

Swingman posted today to that thread, with links to pictures of a
kitchen he's done in a house he's building.

I am looking for small strip ideas (say 5-6" wide and 6' tall). See my
original post with link to my webpage.

There's been a trend the past few years around here, particularly in
contractor built kitchen cabinets, to use 45 degree "corners" exactly as you
have drawn in your sketch ... it's a nice look.

These local example are not, however, "raised panels" for corners, but there
is no reason why you couldn't make them that way if you have the time and
inclination.

The ones you have in your sketch are not difficult to do if you have a
tilting arbor table saw, and crown molding can be cut around it quite
easily. Narrow "raised panels" for the "corners", as you seem to be
suggesting, could be cut in the same manner.

IIRC, Leon has a pretty cool method of joinery for corner stiles that he
uses on corner cabinets that may lend itself to what I am guessing you are
wanting to do. Might want to ping him and see if he can chime in with some
ideas.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/12/05

CNT

Thanks for the reply. But more are still welcome!

The only reason for the 45-degree corners is safety! Not only for kids,
but for our big heads too! The one I made for the kids is just fine, it's
short (3-1/2' tall), so not "too much plain" exposed. But for a 6' tall,
I think it would be too much "plain" look. I have been
thinking/switching if I should do raised panels or simply 3 line grooves
(total of 6 lines per corner). I think I will have to do more full-sized
samples (pine) and see from there.

There's been a trend the past few years around here, particularly in
contractor built kitchen cabinets, to use 45 degree "corners" exactly
as you have drawn in your sketch ... it's a nice look.

Sure, simply make rails/stiles ~ 1-1/2" and go from there. Just concern
if it would make the whole thing look "too much" raised panels.

These local example are not, however, "raised panels" for corners, but
there is no reason why you couldn't make them that way if you have the
time and inclination.

I made few furnitures with 45-degrees and like it. My DeWalt TS does a
good job with 45-degree. I use biscuits and glue, no Kreg.

LEON, COME FORTH!

IIRC, Leon has a pretty cool method of joinery for corner stiles that
he uses on corner cabinets that may lend itself to what I am guessing
you are wanting to do. Might want to ping him and see if he can chime
in with some ideas.

Chuck
Patriarch

CNT wrote in :

I don't see anything that he does in regards to what I am inquiring
about? Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful (as I congratulate to him in
recent post). All his work has sharp corners.

Swingman posted today to that thread, with links to pictures of a
kitchen he's done in a house he's building.

I am looking for small strip ideas (say 5-6" wide and 6' tall). See my
original post with link to my webpage.

Chuck

Swingman's project is a nice one. What I meant to suggest, however, was
that, buried back in that thread, weeks ago, was a discussion of books on
kitchen cabinet making. Google should be your friend there.

Failing that, experiment! See what you like, and can make with what you
already own. It's an age old process of discovery.

Patriarch

bf

CNT wrote:
Correct...

aren't the rails and styles typically 2.25 inches wide

However, can do like 1.25" and use something like CMT 800.518.11

doesn't leave much room for a panel if the whole thing is 5" wide.

Another way is I could just router a three-line strip grooves.

Chuck

Interesting. I'd still be concerned that the proportions would be off
if you had 1.25" for each style and 2.5" left for the panel. But
obviously, I'm not a designer. Let us know what you decide to do. I'd
be interested to see how it comes out.

Richard

Thanks Patriarch! I'll check them out...

Router Speed for Raised Panels Jeff and Jennifer Cook Woodworking 1 June 5th 05 01:57 PM
router and raised panels ?s habbi Woodworking 13 May 22nd 05 04:15 PM
raised panels (again) CNT Woodworking 8 May 21st 05 04:29 PM
Raised Panels CNT Woodworking 12 May 5th 05 04:30 PM
Router table for raised panels David C. Yale Woodworking 2 March 9th 04 03:34 AM