Mark Healey

Default I can't remove my drill chuck

I have a small corded Skill drill with a keyless chuck. One of the jaws
doesn't travel with the other two. I decided to replace the chuck. I
went out and bought one and when I got home I found I couldn't remove the
old one. I can't see down there very well so I don't know what kind of
tool to use in the set screw.

For reasons that would bore everyone here, replacing the drill is the last
option.

If anybody has the manual could you please tell me how to remove the chuck.

--
Mark Healey
marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com

Mark Healey

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 00:03:57 +0000, Mark Healey wrote:

I have a small corded Skill drill with a keyless chuck. One of the jaws
doesn't travel with the other two. I decided to replace the chuck. I
went out and bought one and when I got home I found I couldn't remove the
old one. I can't see down there very well so I don't know what kind of
tool to use in the set screw.

For reasons that would bore everyone here, replacing the drill is the last
option.

If anybody has the manual could you please tell me how to remove the chuck.

I should have mentioned that skill.com is refusing connections.

--
Mark Healey
marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com

ATP*

"Mark Healey" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 00:03:57 +0000, Mark Healey wrote:

I have a small corded Skill drill with a keyless chuck. One of the jaws
doesn't travel with the other two. I decided to replace the chuck. I
went out and bought one and when I got home I found I couldn't remove the
old one. I can't see down there very well so I don't know what kind of
tool to use in the set screw.

For reasons that would bore everyone here, replacing the drill is the
last
option.

If anybody has the manual could you please tell me how to remove the
chuck.

I should have mentioned that skill.com is refusing connections.

--

try http://www.skil.com/homepage.htm

Unquestionably Confused

Mark Healey wrote:
On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 00:03:57 +0000, Mark Healey wrote:

I have a small corded Skill drill with a keyless chuck. One of the jaws
doesn't travel with the other two. I decided to replace the chuck. I
went out and bought one and when I got home I found I couldn't remove the
old one. I can't see down there very well so I don't know what kind of
tool to use in the set screw.

For reasons that would bore everyone here, replacing the drill is the last
option.

If anybody has the manual could you please tell me how to remove the chuck.

I should have mentioned that skill.com is refusing connections.

That's the ticket.

Try http://www.skil.com/

Get the "L" outta thereg

The Tick

I had a similar situation with a drill about a year ago. The screw at the
bottom of the chuck is a left handed screw. The threads on mine seemed to
have gotten fubar'd, so a friend at a local machine shop drilled it out
for me so I could put the new chuck on.

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 00:03:57 +0000, Mark Healey wrote:

I have a small corded Skill drill with a keyless chuck. One of the jaws
doesn't travel with the other two. I decided to replace the chuck. I
went out and bought one and when I got home I found I couldn't remove
the old one. I can't see down there very well so I don't know what kind
of tool to use in the set screw.

For reasons that would bore everyone here, replacing the drill is the
last option.

If anybody has the manual could you please tell me how to remove the
chuck.

no(SPAM)vasys

Mark Healey wrote:
On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 00:03:57 +0000, Mark Healey wrote:

I have a small corded Skill drill with a keyless chuck. One of the jaws
doesn't travel with the other two. I decided to replace the chuck. I
went out and bought one and when I got home I found I couldn't remove the
old one. I can't see down there very well so I don't know what kind of
tool to use in the set screw.

For reasons that would bore everyone here, replacing the drill is the last
option.

If anybody has the manual could you please tell me how to remove the chuck.

I should have mentioned that skill.com is refusing connections.

There's only one "L" in Skil. Try:

http://www.skil.com/homepage.htm

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)

Jonah

For drill chuck removal try this. Chuck up the largest allen wrench you can with the long side sticking up from the
chuck. Give it a sharp rap with a hammer counter clockwise to loosen the screw. Remove the allen wrench and chuck
screw (left hand thread). Re-chuck the allen wrench and give it a sharp rap clockwise and the chuck should come loose.

Jim Bailey wrote:
[...]

Mark Healey

Jonah wrote:
For drill chuck removal try this. Chuck up the largest allen wrench you
can with the long side sticking up from the chuck. Give it a sharp rap
with a hammer counter clockwise to loosen the screw. Remove the allen
wrench and chuck screw (left hand thread). Re-chuck the allen wrench and
give it a sharp rap clockwise and the chuck should come loose.

Sorry, I got it bass-ackwards. Turn it clockwise first, then
counter-clockwise. To replace the chuck, screw it back on, tighten the
screw and then rap it clockwise and give the screw a final tightening.

According to the manual on their web site (I can now find it, thanks guys)
it is a phillips and works like all other drills.

The problem is that there is no screw visible. It looks like either some
crud got forced into it or the head got totally stripped.

Now I'm wondering if I can put a normal bit in a vice and run the drill
against it, sort of like an easy-out.

--
Mark Healey
marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com

Limey Lurker

My corded Skil drill has a "Jacobs" taper fitting chuck.That's why I
can't see a screw when I look down the chuck. I know this because I was
using a 1" dia masonry bit in it and the vibration shook the chuck off
the drill. It wouldn't stay on after that until I let the drill cool
and heated the chuck to shrink it on. When the chuck finally failed I
heated it to get it off so I could replace it. Hope this helps!

Lawrence Wasserman

In article ,
Mark Healey wrote:
I have a small corded Skill drill with a keyless chuck. One of the jaws
doesn't travel with the other two. I decided to replace the chuck. I
went out and bought one and when I got home I found I couldn't remove the
old one. I can't see down there very well so I don't know what kind of
tool to use in the set screw.

For reasons that would bore everyone here, replacing the drill is the last
option.

If anybody has the manual could you please tell me how to remove the chuck.

--
Mark Healey
marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com

You'll need to get a flashlight or somehow determine what kind of tool
to use to remove the retaining screw. Plain slotted screws were pretty
common on older keyed chucks, but who knows what is used today? Do you
still have instructions for your drill? Remember, the retaining screw
has a left hand thread, turn clockwise to remove, the chuck has a
normal right hand thread, turn counterclockwise to remove.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland