Dale Randall

Default Jacobs Chuck removal from 1/2in. drill

I am trying to remove a rusty chuck from an old Edison 1/2 inch
reversiable drill. I can't see a set screw but there may have been one
and removed. I have drill model number as T 224316 A . It says
Jacobs Multicraft 5/? to 1/2 in capacity. Hard to read numbers but I
see a ?2- 13 mm. Any one have good idea to remove this ? the chuck
is shot and I am considering cutting off chuck houseing and heating old
chuck with torch till it comes loose. Help?? Thanks.. Dale

Doug Arthurs

it probably says 5/32-1/2. Its probaly threaded on. I've removed them from
customers drills that needed replacement by inserting the chuck key into one
of the holes you put in in to tighten the chuck and giving it several sharp
hits with a hammer. It's worked for me every time. I've also seen where it's
recomended to put a piece of round stock bent at 90 degrees in the chuck.
Tighten down on it and hit the 90 degree end with a hammer. Nver tried it
this way. These chucks have a right hand thread so make sure your going in
the correct direction.

--
Doug Arthurs
Kent Bridge, On