donald

Default Roof over sandbox question

I am going to build a roof over an existing sandbox which is 12'x10'. How
many posts will be required for construction? I was thinking three posts on
the long end and two on the short end. Is this sufficient or could I
actually get by with four?

Thanks in advance.

Stephen M

No enough info.

It depends on the size of the horizontal cross piece supporting the roof.
The bigger the header, the longer the span.

Is there a snow load to be carried in the winter?

Steve

"donald" wrote in message
I am going to build a roof over an existing sandbox which is 12'x10'. How
many posts will be required for construction? I was thinking three posts

on
the long end and two on the short end. Is this sufficient or could I
actually get by with four?

Thanks in advance.

No

I guess, as Stephen said, it depends.

I have also seen sandbox roofs that can lower down to keep out critters,
cats especially, when not in use. That would be a lot of roof to lower and
raise. If they can do it here
http://rogerscentre.com/aboutrogerscentre/funfacts/ surely you could do a
12x10 raising and lowering roof! Think monster house. 4 steel guide posts,
anchored in concrete. Cables, motor, pulley, safety setup like garage door
opener has. In fact, you could probably cannibalize a couple of garage door
openers to do this. I guess I way off track. Anyway, have fun and be safe.

"donald" wrote in message
I am going to build a roof over an existing sandbox which is 12'x10'. How
many posts will be required for construction? I was thinking three posts on
the long end and two on the short end. Is this sufficient or could I
actually get by with four?

Thanks in advance.

Those 2xs, are they on 16" centers? Were you planning on parking a
truck up there, or do you just like the heavy, bulky look?
Will there be snow loads to contend with?
2x10 is standard for a 14' span to hold up a plywood and shingle flat
roof in house construction, but there you have 4 bearing WALLS. If you
want posts in the corners only, I would think about 4" pipe, buried at
least 4'. You're gonna need decent size beams from corner to corner.
How about picking up a roofing or framing book from the library for
ideas? Unless you get an answer here from a qualified architect or
engineer, you may want to think twice before building and risking
children's safety.

Stephen M

How about picking up a roofing or framing book from the library for
ideas? Unless you get an answer here from a qualified architect or
engineer, you may want to think twice before building and risking
children's safety.

Ditto, really.

To the OP:

I would have no problem building something like this, but I have also framed
a 2-story addition (which has not yet fallen down :-))

What you want here is engineering advise. The missing elements from your
question suggest a certain ignorance (I don't mean that in a nasty way at
all). It would be afraid that a bad assumption would be made by the you (the
OP) or by a replying poster or something lost in the context of a
text-only message.

It's absolutely a a DIY project, but get some experienced hands-on (more
than a keyboard) help.

-Steve

donald

Why are we making a mountain out of a molehill? This is not a two story
addition or a parking structure. It is a simple shade structure for a
sandbox! I just wanted to know what what was reccomended for the span of the
2x10 . Do I need three or could I get by with two 4x4's.

WillR

donald wrote:
Why are we making a mountain out of a molehill? This is not a two story
addition or a parking structure. It is a simple shade structure for a
sandbox! I just wanted to know what what was reccomended for the span of the
2x10 . Do I need three or could I get by with two 4x4's.

Donald:

What I suggest is that you go to your local lumberyard. They will tell
you what to do to meet codes. You really are asking people for
information that requires local climate knowledge, engineering ability,
and knowledge of local codes. Since you won't or can't give that info I
sure won't suggest anything.

Respectfully. Many people here are engineers or have professional
designations. If they give you bad advice it can harm them
professionally... So the ones who can most help are often silent if
there isn't a lot of info to work with.

Sometimes these roofs are simple -- sometimes they are not...

If the next door neighbour asked me that question I would know that it
might have to carry a heavy snow load and cope with -40 + 35
temperatures and that the posts would have to be sunk at least three
feet to prevent frost heaving etc.

You gave none of that info.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

Keep the structure light.
4x4's at each corner will definitely keep it up in the air, but the lateral
in the ground and have some decent bracing at the top then it is certainly
possible to just use 4 of them (depends on the wood species and grade)
If you want 2 on each side then that would be fine too. In that case the
2x10 seems to be overkill.

In any case, checking with a local structural engineer who knows what sort
of wood you are using and what sorts of design loads you need to pay
attention to is a good idea. If you are incapable of figuring this out by
yourself, then a visit to a professional is in order.

-j

"WillR" wrote in message
. ..
donald wrote:
[...]

Pat

I think a 6X6 at each corner might be better than using 4X4's.

George

"donald" wrote in message
Why are we making a mountain out of a molehill? This is not a two story
addition or a parking structure. It is a simple shade structure for a
sandbox! I just wanted to know what what was reccomended for the span of

the
2x10 . Do I need three or could I get by with two 4x4's.

TWO. At either side of the north end of the box. The rest is tarp and
tie-down slanting south.

Why in the hell would you want to put anything up that would tempt a kid to
climb or swing on it?

Edwin Pawlowski

"George" george@least wrote in message
TWO. At either side of the north end of the box. The rest is tarp and
tie-down slanting south.

Why in the hell would you want to put anything up that would tempt a kid
climb or swing on it?

Unless like some people, they have a severe reaction to too much direct sun.
What would you suggest?

George

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"George" george@least wrote in message
TWO. At either side of the north end of the box. The rest is tarp and
tie-down slanting south.

Why in the hell would you want to put anything up that would tempt a kid
climb or swing on it?

Unless like some people, they have a severe reaction to too much direct

sun.
What would you suggest?

The tarp, Ed. The tarp. As father of a redhead, I know a bit about sun
control.

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 07:24:35 -0400, the inscrutable "George"
george@least spake:

"donald" wrote in message
Why are we making a mountain out of a molehill? This is not a two story
addition or a parking structure. It is a simple shade structure for a
sandbox! I just wanted to know what what was reccomended for the span of

the
2x10 . Do I need three or could I get by with two 4x4's.

TWO. At either side of the north end of the box. The rest is tarp and
tie-down slanting south.

Why in the hell would you want to put anything up that would tempt a kid to
climb or swing on it?

Because kids love to climb and swing? Because it provides shade?

Besides, it'll keep the kids out of the huge sand "catbox."

California's 4 Seasons: Fire, Flood, Drought, & Earthquake
--------------------------------------
http://www.diversify.com NoteSHADES(tm) glare guards

Why in the hell would you want to put anything up that would tempt a kid
climb or swing on it?

So they can have fun?

-j

Lobby Dosser

"donald" wrote in message
Why are we making a mountain out of a molehill? This is not a two
story addition or a parking structure. It is a simple shade
structure for a sandbox! I just wanted to know what what was
reccomended for the span of

the
2x10 . Do I need three or could I get by with two 4x4's.

TWO. At either side of the north end of the box. The rest is tarp
and tie-down slanting south.

Why in the hell would you want to put anything up that would tempt a
kid to climb or swing on it?

Because kids love to climb and swing? Because it provides shade?

Besides, it'll keep the kids out of the huge sand "catbox."

But with shelter from sun and rain, will tempt all the neighboring cats
into the great new toilet!

Dave Hinz

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 18:52:49 GMT, Lobby Dosser wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:

Besides, it'll keep the kids out of the huge sand "catbox."

But with shelter from sun and rain, will tempt all the neighboring cats
into the great new toilet!

Nothing a quick shot of lead therapy won't cure. Oh wait, I hear we're
not allowed to shoot cats?

Dave "When the heck did _that_ happen?" Hinz

DanG

It sounds like a great place to create a grape arbor. Shade at
the correct time of the year and the leaves disappear when it is
time to worry about snow load, to say nothing for the bounty of
the grapes. You might even try making wine.

(top posted for your convenience)
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)