WillR

donald wrote:
Why are we making a mountain out of a molehill? This is not a two story
addition or a parking structure. It is a simple shade structure for a
sandbox! I just wanted to know what what was reccomended for the span of the
2x10 . Do I need three or could I get by with two 4x4's.

Donald:

What I suggest is that you go to your local lumberyard. They will tell
you what to do to meet codes. You really are asking people for
information that requires local climate knowledge, engineering ability,
and knowledge of local codes. Since you won't or can't give that info I
sure won't suggest anything.

Respectfully. Many people here are engineers or have professional
designations. If they give you bad advice it can harm them
professionally... So the ones who can most help are often silent if
there isn't a lot of info to work with.

Sometimes these roofs are simple -- sometimes they are not...

If the next door neighbour asked me that question I would know that it
might have to carry a heavy snow load and cope with -40 + 35
temperatures and that the posts would have to be sunk at least three
feet to prevent frost heaving etc.

You gave none of that info.

--
Will