Andy

Default drill press substitute?

I'm thinking of getting a "Drill Guide" or "8inch Drill Stand" ($27 and
$40 by Craftsman) as a temporary substitute for a drill press. I know
they're not replacements, but space and money are both issues right
now. Has anyone used either of these products? Is one style better
than the other? Are there better brands available for a similar price?
I'm mostly interested in drilling right-angle holes (for dowels, shelf
hangers, etc.) but it'd be nice to use a spindle sander too.
Thanks

Jim

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm thinking of getting a "Drill Guide" or "8inch Drill Stand" ($27 and
$40 by Craftsman) as a temporary substitute for a drill press. I know
they're not replacements, but space and money are both issues right
now. Has anyone used either of these products? Is one style better
than the other? Are there better brands available for a similar price?
I'm mostly interested in drilling right-angle holes (for dowels, shelf
hangers, etc.) but it'd be nice to use a spindle sander too.
Thanks

I bought something like that years ago. I could never get the whole thing
to work correctly. I finally sent it to the trash barrel.
I was using a Rockwell Unidrill with a Craftsman device.
Jim

Ron Magen

Andy,
I've used one for YEARS {Drill Guide type}. . . have it in my 'carpentry'
bucket attached to a 3/8 in Rockwell drill. Not a Craftsman and 90 deg only.

Works like a champ . . . WITHIN it's accuracy potential !! Make sure you
prick a good center hole, or use a 'brad point' bit for maximum effect. It's
also handy when I need something very close to a 90 deg or 'straight' hole
when I'm working aboard, in some cramped space, or where I've 'missed' a
hole on an 'almost complete' project.

HOWEVER . . . NEITHER device is stable enough to use as a 'spindle sander'.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm thinking of getting a "Drill Guide" or "8inch Drill Stand" ($27 and
$40 by Craftsman) as a temporary substitute for a drill press. . . .

SNIP
but it'd be nice to use a spindle sander too.
Thanks

Bob G.

On Fri, 13 May 2005 22:01:35 GMT, "Ron Magen" wrote:

Andy,
I've used one for YEARS {Drill Guide type}. . . have it in my 'carpentry'
bucket attached to a 3/8 in Rockwell drill. Not a Craftsman and 90 deg only.

Works like a champ . . . WITHIN it's accuracy potential !! Make sure you
prick a good center hole, or use a 'brad point' bit for maximum effect. It's
also handy when I need something very close to a 90 deg or 'straight' hole
when I'm working aboard, in some cramped space, or where I've 'missed' a
hole on an 'almost complete' project.

HOWEVER . . . NEITHER device is stable enough to use as a 'spindle sander'.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

I have to agree...I have had a similar device for years also...and I
have "some old" 3/8 inch drill attached to it ....do not use it much

BUT it sure does come in handy sometimes... In other words I have
gotten my moneys' worth out of it ten fold when I really needed
it...in both time saved and jobs done right...

Forget the Spindle Sander idea...

Bob Griffiths
Phillip Hallam-Baker

Try the GMC range at Lowes, for $30 I bought a 1/3 HP bench drill
press.

Its nowhere near as good as my Jet floor standing drill press and it
will bog down if you try it with a large forstner bit. But it has more
power than most cordless electric drills and more than enough to make
most holes you might want to make. It is probably better than the drill
stand attachment.

It is also a lot lighter to carry about if you want to work upstairs in
the house.

Dave Miller

At Woodcraft today, I put my hands on the new Triton 18V Cordless drill
with built-in drill guide. I was very curious after seeing it in the
mags. Like most 18V drills, this one's pretty heavy.

Push the drill guide in once, and it releases and extends much like the
guide you're talking about. It can be retracted, as well. My initial
impression was the guide had a little more play in it than I'd like,
enough that I wouldn't be confident it would perform with precision.
Pretty pricey at somewhere around $300.

Andy wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a "Drill Guide" or "8inch Drill Stand" ($27 and
$40 by Craftsman) as a temporary substitute for a drill press. I know
they're not replacements, but space and money are both issues right
now. Has anyone used either of these products? Is one style better
than the other? Are there better brands available for a similar price?
I'm mostly interested in drilling right-angle holes (for dowels, shelf
hangers, etc.) but it'd be nice to use a spindle sander too.
Thanks

Phisherman

On 13 May 2005 14:09:39 -0700, "Andy" wrote:

I'm thinking of getting a "Drill Guide" or "8inch Drill Stand" ($27 and
$40 by Craftsman) as a temporary substitute for a drill press. I know
they're not replacements, but space and money are both issues right
now. Has anyone used either of these products? Is one style better
than the other? Are there better brands available for a similar price?
I'm mostly interested in drilling right-angle holes (for dowels, shelf
hangers, etc.) but it'd be nice to use a spindle sander too.
Thanks

I have an old Craftsman drill guide, made from cast aluminum and metal
rods (no plastic at all). It worked great as a drill press
substitute, and well-built. It will leave marks on a wall, but I
found you can put masking tape on the aluminum base to prevent
marring. The base has a V where you can drill dowels. I found that
this this base is useful to hold dowels steady on my drill press
table.
George Max

On 13 May 2005 14:09:39 -0700, "Andy" wrote:

I'm thinking of getting a "Drill Guide" or "8inch Drill Stand" ($27 and
$40 by Craftsman) as a temporary substitute for a drill press. I know
they're not replacements, but space and money are both issues right
now. Has anyone used either of these products? Is one style better
than the other? Are there better brands available for a similar price?
I'm mostly interested in drilling right-angle holes (for dowels, shelf
hangers, etc.) but it'd be nice to use a spindle sander too.
Thanks

I've got that Craftsman model made with the cast aluminum base and the
steel dowels the drill slides between. It never worked correctly,
when attached to it, the drill wobbled as if the short length of
spindle in that bridge thing wasn't straight. The drill itself was
o.k., but when attached to that fixture the drill wobbled. I'd say
this piece of equipment is junk. But so is a lot of Craftsman stuff,
so I'm not surprised. I never did use it. Didn't take it back
either.....

Nowadays I use a Delta drill press. That works pretty nice.

Tim Daneliuk

Andy wrote:

I'm thinking of getting a "Drill Guide" or "8inch Drill Stand" ($27 and
$40 by Craftsman) as a temporary substitute for a drill press. I know
they're not replacements, but space and money are both issues right
now. Has anyone used either of these products? Is one style better
than the other? Are there better brands available for a similar price?
I'm mostly interested in drilling right-angle holes (for dowels, shelf
hangers, etc.) but it'd be nice to use a spindle sander too.
Thanks

You can have a peek at my setup:

http://www.tundraware.com/Etc/

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/
Hax Planx

Andy says...

I'm thinking of getting a "Drill Guide" or "8inch Drill Stand" ($27 and
$40 by Craftsman) as a temporary substitute for a drill press. I know
they're not replacements, but space and money are both issues right
now. Has anyone used either of these products? Is one style better
than the other? Are there better brands available for a similar price?
I'm mostly interested in drilling right-angle holes (for dowels, shelf
hangers, etc.) but it'd be nice to use a spindle sander too.
Thanks

Don't have any experience with the Craftsman models, but I owned the one
by General and it was worthless. I took it back and then bought the one
from Harbor Freight. The HF model was bigger, sturdier, made better and
half the price. The runout on both of them is pathetic. This
translates into bit wobble, which in turn makes the whole thing wiggle,
shake and vibrate in use. It was so bad on the General, that was why I
took it back. Still, the one from HF is useful enough that I didn't get
rid of it. It is good for some things that you can't get to a drill
press, like drilling dog holes in a bench, but by and large they are
junk.

Peter Ashby

Andy wrote:

I'm thinking of getting a "Drill Guide" or "8inch Drill Stand" ($27 and
$40 by Craftsman) as a temporary substitute for a drill press. I know
they're not replacements, but space and money are both issues right
now. Has anyone used either of these products? Is one style better
than the other? Are there better brands available for a similar price?
I'm mostly interested in drilling right-angle holes (for dowels, shelf
hangers, etc.) but it'd be nice to use a spindle sander too.
Thanks

I have one, brand unkown and like it a lot. It's great for drilling
holes in walls with a masonry bit when you want it plumb and of a
particular depth. It was invaluable for drilling the holes in the ends
of the long stretchers on my bench where getting it straight is
important. All the dog holes in my bench were drilled with one and an
augur bit, the handle being useful in controlling the torque and the
depth stop being just about adequate, especially after tightening it....
My el cheapo Black n Decker hammer drill is seldom out of it.

Peter
mac davis

On 13 May 2005 14:09:39 -0700, "Andy" wrote:

I'm thinking of getting a "Drill Guide" or "8inch Drill Stand" ($27 and
$40 by Craftsman) as a temporary substitute for a drill press. I know
they're not replacements, but space and money are both issues right
now. Has anyone used either of these products? Is one style better
than the other? Are there better brands available for a similar price?
I'm mostly interested in drilling right-angle holes (for dowels, shelf
hangers, etc.) but it'd be nice to use a spindle sander too.
Thanks

they work ok if your drill fits well.. I'd suggest taking your drill along when
you look at them..

I borrowed 3 different types, and none of my drills (especially the one's that I
was willing to clamp in for an indefinite period) fit the holder/straps/bands
correctly, which seems critical if you want any accuracy at all..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing