Peter Ashby

Andy wrote:

I'm thinking of getting a "Drill Guide" or "8inch Drill Stand" ($27 and
$40 by Craftsman) as a temporary substitute for a drill press. I know
they're not replacements, but space and money are both issues right
now. Has anyone used either of these products? Is one style better
than the other? Are there better brands available for a similar price?
I'm mostly interested in drilling right-angle holes (for dowels, shelf
hangers, etc.) but it'd be nice to use a spindle sander too.
Thanks

I have one, brand unkown and like it a lot. It's great for drilling
holes in walls with a masonry bit when you want it plumb and of a
particular depth. It was invaluable for drilling the holes in the ends
of the long stretchers on my bench where getting it straight is
important. All the dog holes in my bench were drilled with one and an
augur bit, the handle being useful in controlling the torque and the
depth stop being just about adequate, especially after tightening it....
My el cheapo Black n Decker hammer drill is seldom out of it.

Peter