Phil

Default Drill Press mod

I have a Jet floorstanding drill press. The thing that bugs me is when
I want to simply move the column up and down there is no mechanism to
keep the table in the same center relative position to the chuck. (same
as most drill presses) I'm considering making a couple of additional
collars to hold a piece of 3/4" drill rod parallel with the column
mounting holding the drill rod about 6" behind the column, then making a
collar for the table that rides up and down the drill rod. Any other
suggestions?

Thanks,
Phil

Stan Stocker

Hi Phil,

You can put a pair of hoseclamps around the column and rack to keep the
rack from slipping around. Then when you adjust height just always
press gently to one side (doesn't matter which side, but always to the
same side) as you snug up the table.

You could also drill through the rack and column and secure the rack
with roll pins in several spots. Downside is you then can't swing the
table to the side when you tilt the table.

Cheers,
Stan

Phil wrote:

I have a Jet floorstanding drill press. The thing that bugs me is when
I want to simply move the column up and down there is no mechanism to
keep the table in the same center relative position to the chuck. (same
as most drill presses) I'm considering making a couple of additional
collars to hold a piece of 3/4" drill rod parallel with the column
mounting holding the drill rod about 6" behind the column, then making a
collar for the table that rides up and down the drill rod. Any other
suggestions?

Thanks,
Phil

Brian Lawson

Default White Christmas

Hey Guys and Gals,

Well, we've got a beautiful white Christmas morning here. We got
about 4" yesterday, of those big soft flakes the size of a quarter,
but that was quite wet and not going to last very long. Overnight it
has turned somewhat colder, with another bit of frosting of harder
snow, and so it is absolutely a gorgeous beautiful Christmas morning
here. The decorations of boughs on the front porch railing are now
topped with a wonderful slathering of the stuff, the roadway and
driveway are just perfect with out as trace of any habitation yet, and
the ploughs probably won't be out today, so that should make it nice
until later today at least. The evergreen trees bowed down gently,
the slopes around covered and so soft looking, are just beautiful.
For you guys that don't get snow like this, it is truly beautiful.
Can't stop saying that!!

Anyway, off to bring the slowly thawing turkey in from the (new - as
yet unheated) garage. My son is here from LA, and so it will be a
wonderful Christmas 2003, our first in our new home, and just a
perfect start to the day!!

So Season's Greetings to You All, from All of Us. Been a truly
wonderful year, and 2004 looks great too.

Take care.

Brian and Frances and Christopher Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
clare @ snyder.on .ca

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 08:41:58 -0500, Brian Lawson
wrote:

[...]

Just up the road in Waterloo, we've got about 2 inches - covering what
was green grass yesterday afternoon after our "warm spell".
Sunworshiper

wrote:

[...]

That type of snow is fun to watch falling down at you under a high
street light in the middle of no where.

Tim Williams

"Brian Lawson" wrote in message
news
Well, we've got a beautiful white Christmas morning here. We got
about 4" yesterday, of those big soft flakes the size of a quarter,
but that was quite wet and not going to last very long. Overnight it
has turned somewhat colder, with another bit of frosting of harder
snow, and so it is absolutely a gorgeous beautiful Christmas morning
here.

Mmmm, sounds loverly. We ain' got nothing here, durn unpredictable
Wisconsin weather, it's uh, well let's see what it is:
KJVL 251945Z 31008KT 10SM SKC 03/M08 A3011
Yup, *still* above freezing (about 37°F)!

On the plus side, I say bring on the global warming, as long as we have
our air conditioning in the summer! ;o)

Tim

--
"That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson

clare @ snyder.on .ca

wrote:

[...]

It's back down to less than an inch again!!
Peter

[...]

A picture is worth a thousnd words so send me one, in Australia we had a
warm day here approx 36 centigrade we just leave the turkey outside and it
cooks itself!!!!!!!!!!

chem

We had the same here in PEI. Somewhere between 5 and 10 celcius with
lots of rain. There's a couple of families we know who moved here from
Langley, BC a couple of years ago, and I think the weather made them
feel a little like they were home for Christmas. I spent half a winter
out in Vancouver and while you don't have to shovel rain, it was
graygraygray... It may be kinda cold here, and the ground is covered in
snow, but the sky is blue and the sun is shining.

chem

Udie wrote:

It was around +3 C. here on the South end of Vancouver Island. Christmas day
was rainy, with a bit of hail in the late evening.

Steve R.

Udie

Hah! Well we had some snow last night, but it was sunny today. Note: I do
not live in Victoria. In any case, Vancouver and Langley have a lot more
rain than my spot on the West Coast of the island. I think the sun is no
compensation for snow!

Steve R.