Stan Stocker

Default Drill Press mod

Hi Phil,

You can put a pair of hoseclamps around the column and rack to keep the
rack from slipping around. Then when you adjust height just always
press gently to one side (doesn't matter which side, but always to the
same side) as you snug up the table.

You could also drill through the rack and column and secure the rack
with roll pins in several spots. Downside is you then can't swing the
table to the side when you tilt the table.

Cheers,
Stan

Phil wrote:

I have a Jet floorstanding drill press. The thing that bugs me is when
I want to simply move the column up and down there is no mechanism to
keep the table in the same center relative position to the chuck. (same
as most drill presses) I'm considering making a couple of additional
collars to hold a piece of 3/4" drill rod parallel with the column
mounting holding the drill rod about 6" behind the column, then making a
collar for the table that rides up and down the drill rod. Any other
suggestions?

Thanks,
Phil