George Max

On 13 May 2005 14:09:39 -0700, "Andy" wrote:

I'm thinking of getting a "Drill Guide" or "8inch Drill Stand" ($27 and
$40 by Craftsman) as a temporary substitute for a drill press. I know
they're not replacements, but space and money are both issues right
now. Has anyone used either of these products? Is one style better
than the other? Are there better brands available for a similar price?
I'm mostly interested in drilling right-angle holes (for dowels, shelf
hangers, etc.) but it'd be nice to use a spindle sander too.
Thanks

I've got that Craftsman model made with the cast aluminum base and the
steel dowels the drill slides between. It never worked correctly,
when attached to it, the drill wobbled as if the short length of
spindle in that bridge thing wasn't straight. The drill itself was
o.k., but when attached to that fixture the drill wobbled. I'd say
this piece of equipment is junk. But so is a lot of Craftsman stuff,
so I'm not surprised. I never did use it. Didn't take it back
either.....

Nowadays I use a Delta drill press. That works pretty nice.