Default Rigid Vs. DeWalt

I need a 12" Compound Miter Saw for rough framing. I will not use it
for trim work. I don't want a sliding model. I'm trying to decide
between DeWalt and Rigid.

Among many of their other products, I own a 14" DeWalt Chop Saw for
metal cutting. It's a great tool.

I have never purchased a Rigid power tool. From the touching and
feeling that can be done in a Home Depot, the tools seem to be made
with durable plastics like the DeWalts. What cannot be seen is the
materials used in the gears and transmissions.

I'm only 20 years old, so maybe you "old timers" can weigh in, but does
it look to you like the Rigids are trying to take up where Craftsman
fell off (Lifetime warranty, house brand, etc.)?

The company history certainly cannot be questioned. They pioneered the
modern-day monkey wrench after all.

I guess, I don't think the LASERs are a big selling point for a serious
contractor, and will not be so for me. In my experience, they become
more annoying and innacurate than helpful. I probably wouldn't even
put it on the arbor if I bought the Rigid.

So, my question remains: 12" Rigid Miter Saw or 12" DeWalt
Miter saw?

Teamcasa

Of the two choices, Dewalt

Dave

So, my question remains: 12" Rigid Miter Saw or 12" DeWalt
Miter saw?

http://www.usenet.com
Edwin Pawlowski

" wrote in message
So, my question remains: 12" Rigid Miter Saw or 12" DeWalt
Miter saw?

At your age the only thing that should be Ridgid is not the saw. BTW, the
DeWalt has a decent blade. Even better after a good sharpening.

richdedo

Ridgid IS top of the line. They are owned by Tectronics, the parent
company that also makes Ryobi, and now owns Milwaukee. Ridgid air-tools
now carry LIFEtime warranty on them. Many of the saws have 5 year
warranty, and some lifetime. Buy the Ridgid. Scrap the Laser. I am a
contractor, and have lots of brands and lots of tools. As tools fail, I
replace with Ridgid. They are here to stay. Remember, Dewalt is just
Black and Decker with a yellowcase.

Don

"richdedo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ridgid IS top of the line. They are owned by Tectronics, the parent
company that also makes Ryobi, and now owns Milwaukee. Ridgid air-tools
now carry LIFEtime warranty on them. Many of the saws have 5 year
warranty, and some lifetime. Buy the Ridgid. Scrap the Laser. I am a
contractor, and have lots of brands and lots of tools. As tools fail, I
replace with Ridgid. They are here to stay. Remember, Dewalt is just
Black and Decker with a yellowcase.

Isnt that kind of like saying Ridgid is just Ryobi with a orange case?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Don" wrote in message

"richdedo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ridgid IS top of the line. They are owned by Tectronics, the parent
company that also makes Ryobi, and now owns Milwaukee. Ridgid air-tools
now carry LIFEtime warranty on them. Many of the saws have 5 year
warranty, and some lifetime. Buy the Ridgid. Scrap the Laser. I am a
contractor, and have lots of brands and lots of tools. As tools fail, I
replace with Ridgid. They are here to stay. Remember, Dewalt is just
Black and Decker with a yellowcase.

Isnt that kind of like saying Ridgid is just Ryobi with a orange case?

If you accept his statement about B&D and DeWalt tools, the corollary is
that Milwaukee is just a Ryobi.

I think we can all agree that it is in a company's best interest to
appeal to all buyers by making contractor lines and home owner lines.
Of course they are not the exact same. Come on...

OKAY, back to the Miter Saw question...

I would love to discover RIDGID as a serious brand that I can trust,
but at the same time I don't want it to be a $300 mistake in the name
of curiousity.

The RIDGID tools look good. I'd like to invest in Techtronic
Industries, but they are traded in Hong Kong. My dad and brother just
got back from a 10-day trip to China. It's not what we think it is.
They are an up and coming economic superpower. Everything there was
ultra high tech. China's no joke. They can make some good stuff. If
a worker in a RIDGID factory in the States messed up, the boss would
hessitate to yell at them in fear of a union grievence. In China, they
would cain the guy. I think we ought to give the foriegn tools (power
tools) more credit this day in age.

That said, all the power tools in America have foriegn made parts.
DeWalts are just put together in the States.

Either way, it would be helpful to hear from someone with first hand
experience with either.

mrhuntnpeck

I think you need to consider the age as well as the manufacture.
In my opinion tools that haven't changed much in time you are better
off restoring an old one, this goes for anything with a metal casting
, lathe, drill press , table saw, hand plane, hammer, etc.

of course not to compare them with some of the newer stuff which has
advantages, CNC lathe, sawzall, production machinery.

For home use I like to hunt at garage sales for old, tried and true
tools. lots of brands have cheapened up over the years.

Phil
Hax Planx

I would take Dewalt over Ridgid any day. And I'm very happy with my
Ridgid jointer. Dewalt tools are respected by just about everyone,
except for their jigsaws, which seem to be universally reviled.
Leon

" wrote in message
ups.com...
I think we can all agree that it is in a company's best interest to
appeal to all buyers by making contractor lines and home owner lines.
Of course they are not the exact same. Come on...

OKAY, back to the Miter Saw question...

I would love to discover RIDGID as a serious brand that I can trust,
but at the same time I don't want it to be a $300 mistake in the name
of curiousity.

Like anything else, every tool company builds good stuff and bad stuff. If
you decide to go with one brand exclusively you are doing yourself a
disservice.
Porter Cable makes great sanders. Their profile sander sucks. DeWalt makes
pretty good drills, their sanders are not the best. Delta had great tools.
Their sharpening center probably could not be worse.
As for Ridgid, its ROS is made by Metabo IIRC which is a great brand tool.
Then again their drills seem way too heavy. IMHO unless you know what
particular tool is being manufactured by which company, it may boil down to
flipping a coin as to whether to buy a Ridgid tool or not.

Buck Turgidson

I would love to discover RIDGID as a serious brand that I can trust,
but at the same time I don't want it to be a $300 mistake in the name
of curiousity.

You won't make a mistake with either, the same way that you wouldn't make a
mistake buying a Toyota over a Honda and vice-versa (and please, let's not
argue cars!).
mac davis

On 29 Apr 2005 20:31:30 -0700, "
wrote:
My only experience with Rigid, other that excellent pipe wrenches, is their 14"
(home depot) band saw..

As I learned from this group, it's an "Elephant" brand, made by the chiwanese
and sold as Rigid, Grizzly, and probably lots more brands..
In the short time that I've had it, it's been a very good saw... and the griz
riser block fit it..

I love my dewalt biscuit jointer... but not being brand loyal, I have no idea
how either rigid OR dewalt make CMS or if they might be the same saw..

[...]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Ken Yee

"Leon" wrote in
m:

As for Ridgid, its ROS is made by Metabo IIRC which is a great brand
tool.

Their jigsaw is also the Metabo in a different color and $20 cheaper.
I like my Metabo jigsaw lot (chose it over the Bosch because it felt
less plasticky :-) I'm glad I can get parts for it at Home Depot via
the Ridgid brand.

ken
Leon

"Ken Yee" wrote in message
. 47.166...
"Leon" wrote in
m:

As for Ridgid, its ROS is made by Metabo IIRC which is a great brand
tool.

Their jigsaw is also the Metabo in a different color and $20 cheaper.
I like my Metabo jigsaw lot (chose it over the Bosch because it felt
less plasticky :-) I'm glad I can get parts for it at Home Depot via
the Ridgid brand.

ken

One of the latest issues of a WW magazine tested jig saws and put the Ridgid
and Metabo on top over the latest Bosch. Imagine...

CW

A monkey wrench and a pipe wrench are two diferent things.

" wrote in message
ups.com...
The company history certainly cannot be questioned. They pioneered the
modern-day monkey wrench after all.

CW

Check the warrenty. I bet it says lifetime of the tool.

"richdedo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ridgid air-tools
now carry LIFEtime warranty on them.

Duane Bozarth

CW wrote:

A monkey wrench and a pipe wrench are two diferent things.

The company history certainly cannot be questioned. They pioneered the
modern-day monkey wrench after all.

And the "Ridgid" name has been licensed for the power tools--it's not
the pipe-wrench Ridgid at all...
Robatoy

In article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Don" wrote in message

If you accept his statement about B&D and DeWalt tools, the corollary is
that Milwaukee is just a Ryobi.

and a Lexus is a Toyota.
Mark Cooper

Isnt that kind of like saying Ridgid is just Ryobi with a orange case?

If you accept his statement about B&D and DeWalt tools, the corollary is
that Milwaukee is just a Ryobi.

I just bought a $120 5" metalworking (utility) vise from Milwaukee. The
jaws won't clamp down in parallel, the pipe jaws are 1/4" out of alignment,
and the paint job is absolutely atrocious. Knowing I could return it, I
actually laughed out loud at the quality.

From my (albeit limited) experience, Milwaukee is just a red Ryobi.

Jim Weisgram

On 29 Apr 2005 18:18:38 -0700, "richdedo" wrote:

Ridgid IS top of the line. They are owned by Tectronics, the parent
company that also makes Ryobi, and now owns Milwaukee.

So a Ridgid tool is both as good as Milwaukee and as poor as a Ryobi
all at once?
gw

" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I've had the Ridgid 12" SCMS for about 9 months, used regularly for cabinet
making and finish work. It was not quite dead-on out of the box, but after
about 30 minutes tweaking, I haven't had to adjust it since. (I don't
transport it, so I don't have any info about throwing it around and holding
adjustment)

The laser and the dust bag are useless. The arbor-mounted laser projects a
line about 3/32" to the left of the kerf. I had no plans to use the dust bag
anyway. I chose the Ridgid over the DeWalt because of the Ridgid's larger
table surface, and the higher fence extensions which are extra cost on the
DW. Stock blade is not bad - gives a nice clean crosscut in hardwood.

Overall I am very pleased with it.

Mark Cooper

Please read my RETRACTION of the below post, which I have posted as a
separate topic today (Wednesday) (Not all Milwaukees are as they seem).

The vise I bought was not made by the Milwaukee tool company we are
otherwise referring to.

"Mark Cooper" wrote in message
news:1114962505.1a32806e744120ea3699dc1cb818f50e@t eranews...

Isnt that kind of like saying Ridgid is just Ryobi with a orange case?

If you accept his statement about B&D and DeWalt tools, the corollary is
that Milwaukee is just a Ryobi.

I just bought a $120 5" metalworking (utility) vise from Milwaukee. The
jaws won't clamp down in parallel, the pipe jaws are 1/4" out of
alignment, and the paint job is absolutely atrocious. Knowing I could
return it, I actually laughed out loud at the quality.

From my (albeit limited) experience, Milwaukee is just a red Ryobi.