Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Rigid Vs. DeWalt

I need a 12" Compound Miter Saw for rough framing. I will not use it
for trim work. I don't want a sliding model. I'm trying to decide
between DeWalt and Rigid.

Among many of their other products, I own a 14" DeWalt Chop Saw for
metal cutting. It's a great tool.

I have never purchased a Rigid power tool. From the touching and
feeling that can be done in a Home Depot, the tools seem to be made
with durable plastics like the DeWalts. What cannot be seen is the
materials used in the gears and transmissions.

I'm only 20 years old, so maybe you "old timers" can weigh in, but does
it look to you like the Rigids are trying to take up where Craftsman
fell off (Lifetime warranty, house brand, etc.)?

The company history certainly cannot be questioned. They pioneered the
modern-day monkey wrench after all.

I guess, I don't think the LASERs are a big selling point for a serious
contractor, and will not be so for me. In my experience, they become
more annoying and innacurate than helpful. I probably wouldn't even
put it on the arbor if I bought the Rigid.

So, my question remains: 12" Rigid Miter Saw or 12" DeWalt
Miter saw?