Leon

" wrote in message
ups.com...
I think we can all agree that it is in a company's best interest to
appeal to all buyers by making contractor lines and home owner lines.
Of course they are not the exact same. Come on...

OKAY, back to the Miter Saw question...

I would love to discover RIDGID as a serious brand that I can trust,
but at the same time I don't want it to be a $300 mistake in the name
of curiousity.

Like anything else, every tool company builds good stuff and bad stuff. If
you decide to go with one brand exclusively you are doing yourself a
disservice.
Porter Cable makes great sanders. Their profile sander sucks. DeWalt makes
pretty good drills, their sanders are not the best. Delta had great tools.
Their sharpening center probably could not be worse.
As for Ridgid, its ROS is made by Metabo IIRC which is a great brand tool.
Then again their drills seem way too heavy. IMHO unless you know what
particular tool is being manufactured by which company, it may boil down to
flipping a coin as to whether to buy a Ridgid tool or not.