mac davis

On 29 Apr 2005 20:31:30 -0700, "
wrote:
My only experience with Rigid, other that excellent pipe wrenches, is their 14"
(home depot) band saw..

As I learned from this group, it's an "Elephant" brand, made by the chiwanese
and sold as Rigid, Grizzly, and probably lots more brands..
In the short time that I've had it, it's been a very good saw... and the griz
riser block fit it..

I love my dewalt biscuit jointer... but not being brand loyal, I have no idea
how either rigid OR dewalt make CMS or if they might be the same saw..

I think we can all agree that it is in a company's best interest to
appeal to all buyers by making contractor lines and home owner lines.
Of course they are not the exact same. Come on...

OKAY, back to the Miter Saw question...

I would love to discover RIDGID as a serious brand that I can trust,
but at the same time I don't want it to be a $300 mistake in the name
of curiousity.

The RIDGID tools look good. I'd like to invest in Techtronic
Industries, but they are traded in Hong Kong. My dad and brother just
got back from a 10-day trip to China. It's not what we think it is.
They are an up and coming economic superpower. Everything there was
ultra high tech. China's no joke. They can make some good stuff. If
a worker in a RIDGID factory in the States messed up, the boss would
hessitate to yell at them in fear of a union grievence. In China, they
would cain the guy. I think we ought to give the foriegn tools (power
tools) more credit this day in age.

That said, all the power tools in America have foriegn made parts.
DeWalts are just put together in the States.

Either way, it would be helpful to hear from someone with first hand
experience with either.

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing