gw

" wrote in message
ups.com...
I think we can all agree that it is in a company's best interest to
appeal to all buyers by making contractor lines and home owner lines.
Of course they are not the exact same. Come on...

OKAY, back to the Miter Saw question...

I would love to discover RIDGID as a serious brand that I can trust,
but at the same time I don't want it to be a $300 mistake in the name
of curiousity.

The RIDGID tools look good. I'd like to invest in Techtronic
Industries, but they are traded in Hong Kong. My dad and brother just
got back from a 10-day trip to China. It's not what we think it is.
They are an up and coming economic superpower. Everything there was
ultra high tech. China's no joke. They can make some good stuff. If
a worker in a RIDGID factory in the States messed up, the boss would
hessitate to yell at them in fear of a union grievence. In China, they
would cain the guy. I think we ought to give the foriegn tools (power
tools) more credit this day in age.

That said, all the power tools in America have foriegn made parts.
DeWalts are just put together in the States.

Either way, it would be helpful to hear from someone with first hand
experience with either.

I've had the Ridgid 12" SCMS for about 9 months, used regularly for cabinet
making and finish work. It was not quite dead-on out of the box, but after
about 30 minutes tweaking, I haven't had to adjust it since. (I don't
transport it, so I don't have any info about throwing it around and holding
adjustment)

The laser and the dust bag are useless. The arbor-mounted laser projects a
line about 3/32" to the left of the kerf. I had no plans to use the dust bag
anyway. I chose the Ridgid over the DeWalt because of the Ridgid's larger
table surface, and the higher fence extensions which are extra cost on the
DW. Stock blade is not bad - gives a nice clean crosscut in hardwood.

Overall I am very pleased with it.