Kayla

Default Removing varnish odour

How can I get the strong odour of stain and varnish out of an ash
cupboard so it can be used. I'm using vinegar in a dish but it
doesn't seem to be doing much. Opening the doors doesn't help either
or does it just take time?

Thanks
Lori
Don Wheeler

Kayla wrote in
:

How can I get the strong odour of stain and varnish out of an ash
cupboard so it can be used. I'm using vinegar in a dish but it
doesn't seem to be doing much. Opening the doors doesn't help either
or does it just take time?

Thanks
Lori

Warmth, ventilation, and time. The solvents have to evaporate.
I never heard of the vinegar trick, although it might cover up the smell.

Don
JGS

Hi Lori,
For the next time you may want to finish the inside with shellac or some
of the WB finishes to circumvent that problem. Even then a hybrid WB
varnish took about 5 weeks (open) for the odor to vanish. I have not
noticed any odor when using WB urethanes or acrylics after a week. For
some of the oil based products it seems that clothes will pick up the
odor for years. Hopefully yours is not one of these. JG

Kayla wrote:

How can I get the strong odour of stain and varnish out of an ash
cupboard so it can be used. I'm using vinegar in a dish but it
doesn't seem to be doing much. Opening the doors doesn't help either
or does it just take time?

Thanks
Lori

Doug Miller

In article , Kayla wrote:
How can I get the strong odour of stain and varnish out of an ash
cupboard so it can be used. I'm using vinegar in a dish but it
doesn't seem to be doing much. Opening the doors doesn't help either
or does it just take time?

Vinegar isn't going to make any difference at all. Leaving the doors
open will certainly allow the odor to dissipate, but it takes time. A lot of
time.

Activated charcoal is your best bet. Any pet store will have that - it's used
in aquarium filters. It isn't cheap, though. Regular charcoal briquettes work,
too, but not as well as activated charcoal. (If you use briquettes, make sure
*not* to get the kind that are pre-saturated with lighter fluid.)

Next time, for the inside of the cabinet, use alcohol-based dye and shellac,
instead of oil-based stain and varnish. The odors dissipate within hours
instead of weeks.

--
Regards,

Upscale

"Doug Miller" wrote in message news:1Zr9e.182

Activated charcoal is your best bet. Any pet store will have that - it's

used
in aquarium filters. It isn't cheap, though. Regular charcoal briquettes

work,
too, but not as well as activated charcoal. (If you use briquettes, make

sure
*not* to get the kind that are pre-saturated with lighter fluid.)

Haven't tried it out, but I've seen a number of TV ads recommending an open
box of baking soda in the refrigerator to remove odours. Wonder if it might
help the same way with the stain/varnish odour. One other thing I've done to
remove odours in an enclosed location is to put in a scented dryer sheet.
Works great.

Doug Miller

In article , "Upscale" wrote:

Haven't tried it out, but I've seen a number of TV ads recommending an open
box of baking soda in the refrigerator to remove odours. Wonder if it might
help the same way with the stain/varnish odour.

Probably, but not nearly as well as activated charcoal. There simply isn't
anything better. Best thing about activated charcoal is that when it's "full",
you can restore its ability to absorb odors with a few hours in a hot oven.

One other thing I've done to
remove odours in an enclosed location is to put in a scented dryer sheet.
Works great.

Actually, the scented dryer sheet does nothing to *remove* undesirable odors.
It merely covers them up with a stronger, more pleasant scent, while the
undesirable odor dissipates. It won't help the OP's problem at all: she'll
have a cabinet that smells like varnish *and* Bounce.

--
Regards,

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 02:03:26 GMT, Kayla wrote:

How can I get the strong odour of stain and varnish out of an ash
cupboard so it can be used.

Time and ventilation. A bit of warmth too (don't heat it, but don't
leave it outdoors in winter either).

As a cheaper alternative to activated charcoal, try fuller's earth. This
is the main ingredient in the grey dusty cat litter (not the red clay,
sawdust or plastic sorts). Grind it a little finer (pestle and mortar)
and spread it out on a shallow tray, then shut it inside the cupboard.

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 02:03:26 GMT, the inscrutable Kayla
spake:

How can I get the strong odour of stain and varnish out of an ash
cupboard so it can be used. I'm using vinegar in a dish but it
doesn't seem to be doing much. Opening the doors doesn't help either
or does it just take time?

Is this old varnish? If so, get some shellac and put a thin coat of
it on the inside of the cabinet. It will kill the smell.

If it's fresh varnish, let it sit open for a week to finish curing.
Then put a coat of shellac on it.

Save the Whales + http://www.diversify.com
Collect the whole set! + Website design and graphics
Dan Valleskey

I did a chest last year, finished with the Sam Maloof stuff from
Rockler. There is still a strong smell inside the chest. It does
look great though.

It was suggested that I hit it with a quick coat of shellac, but we
aren't storing any blankets in the chest, no clothes, so the smell is
not a problem. But after 14 months, it still stinks.

-Dan V.

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 02:03:26 GMT, Kayla wrote:

How can I get the strong odour of stain and varnish out of an ash
cupboard so it can be used. I'm using vinegar in a dish but it
doesn't seem to be doing much. Opening the doors doesn't help either
or does it just take time?

Thanks
Lori

Baron

The vinegar isn't helping except perhaps to replace one odor with
another. You may not like this but leave the cupboard doors wide open and
wait for the finish to cure a full two weeks.

Good Luck.

"Kayla" wrote in message
How can I get the strong odour of stain and varnish out of an ash
cupboard so it can be used. I'm using vinegar in a dish but it
doesn't seem to be doing much. Opening the doors doesn't help either
or does it just take time?

Thanks
Lori

Phisherman

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 02:03:26 GMT, Kayla wrote:

How can I get the strong odour of stain and varnish out of an ash
cupboard so it can be used. I'm using vinegar in a dish but it
doesn't seem to be doing much. Opening the doors doesn't help either
or does it just take time?

Thanks
Lori

It takes time. You can speed it up a little with open doors and more
air movement (ie, use a fan). You can remove the doors temporarily.
The odor will greatly decrease after one month. It can take that long
for varnish (and paint) to fully cure and harden.

Varnish storage... bkr Woodworking 25 March 7th 05 07:29 PM
Desperately need help: Woodstain over old Varnish won't dry! L Beck Woodworking 18 December 27th 03 07:32 PM
Desperately need help: Woodstain over old Varnish won't dry! George Watson Home Repair 1 December 27th 03 07:13 PM
Varnish Finish Failure Joe Nation Woodworking 4 November 26th 03 12:48 AM
Removing varnish from kitchen units pink digit UK diy 3 August 25th 03 10:24 AM