George Watson

Default Desperately need help: Woodstain over old Varnish won't dry!

the different products you are puttng on your floor are not compatable with
each other

use paint/ vanish stripper get back to the bare wood and use only one make
type of product

"Mike" wrote in message
13 years ago the floor was stained with a standard woodstain then
varnished with Rustin's Clear Acrylic Gloss Floor Coating;
www.rustins.co.uk/F_coat.html All was well.

About three years later the floor was recovered with Blackfriars
Polyurethane Stained Varnish. The varnish took about a week to
dry; apparently, the polyurethane reacted with the old acrylic
coating. The floor was left with that covering and has been used
daily for the past 10 years. I assumed it was dry!

However, I have just taken advice about recovering the floor and
about 12 hours ago I cleaned the floor with weak mix of
disinfectant/water, left it to fully dry then applied Rustin's
Wood Dye www.rustins.co.uk/Wooddye.html to the entire area. I
used a cloth to wipe the surplus away from areas where the old
varnish was intact but the dye did come into contact with the
entire floor surface. The areas that were bare wood have dried,
while the areas with old varnish have reacted again and now that
part of the floor is 'tacky' or sticky to the touch.

So I need advice about how to sort this by tomorrow. I have a tin
of Rustin's Clear Acrylic Gloss Floor Coating and/or a tin of
Blackfriars Polyurethane Stained Varnish, a fan heater, a clean
brush and all the shops are closed for xmas.

Is it possible to get this dry and varnished by tomorrow, if so
how and which finish should I use?

Thanks for any advice.

roger

Mike G. is entirely correct (as usual!). Do it right. Having
just recently redone the bathroom floor in my place, (it was CARPETED
wall-to-wall!) I can only say take time enough to do it permanently
and correctly. In my case, the damn carpet even covered the
baseboards!

Were I in your shoes, I'd have covered the floor with a throw rug
'til the holidays were over. Pulling the terlet is very simple
and straight forward. At least you didn't have two wax rings
to deal with, (I hope!) as I did, until the project was completed
correctly.

I hope all will go well for you.

Regards

Roger