pink digit

Default Removing varnish from kitchen units

Hi everyone
I recently moved to a house with a fitted pine kitchen which although
in good condition is a bit orange, which makes it look dated. Does
anyone have any tips about removing the varnish? chemical or some
other technique.

Once it's varnish free what is the best thing to seal the wood? I'd
like to keep it as natural as possible.

Any help welcome. Thanks
pink digit

StevieBoy no@email wrote in message . ..
On 24 Aug 2003 11:56:22 -0700, pink digit wrote:

Hi everyone
I recently moved to a house with a fitted pine kitchen which although
in good condition is a bit orange, which makes it look dated. Does
anyone have any tips about removing the varnish? chemical or some
other technique.

Once it's varnish free what is the best thing to seal the wood? I'd
like to keep it as natural as possible.

Any help welcome. Thanks

Just use an orbital sander ... then seal with a good wax. At least
that's what I did on a couple of 'orange' coffee tables. Now the
tables look so much nicer, and definitely "lived in"!

Ensure it's really pine and not chipboard with a pine-effect surface

Regards,
Steve

It's definitely solid, had to think there for a second though. I did
think sanding for the bigger areas but some of the edges are a quite
ornate and I don't want to lose the sharpness of the edges. Are any of
the chemical removers any good and save to use in the kitchen?
StevieBoy

On 25 Aug 2003 01:56:30 -0700, pink digit wrote:

It's definitely solid, had to think there for a second though. I did
think sanding for the bigger areas but some of the edges are a quite
ornate and I don't want to lose the sharpness of the edges. Are any of
the chemical removers any good and save to use in the kitchen?

Chemical removers will work, but best take the cabinets off the wall
otherwise it will get very very messy very very quickly! Ensure the
chemical removers won't weaken any glue points in the units.

If sanding ornate corners, just do it by hand or use one of those
small 'mouse' style sanders and don't apply too much pressure.

Sanding will give a "rustic distressed look", whereas using chemical
removers will only change the "shade" of the wood.

Whatever you choose to do, test on a hidden bit of a unit (perhaps
inside a door) before committing yourself to your chosen course of
action.

Regards,
Steve
--