toller

Default Making filler for cherry?

If I make filler by mixing cherry dust with glue, will it darken like the
rest of the wood?
If not, any suggestions? (I mean other than being skillful enough that I
don't need filler.)

Doug Miller

In article , "toller" wrote:
If I make filler by mixing cherry dust with glue, will it darken like the
rest of the wood?

If you're using lye to darken it, definitely yes.

If you're just letting nature take its course, I'd guess yes, but I don't
know.

--
Regards,

Robatoy

In article ,
"toller" wrote:

If I make filler by mixing cherry dust with glue, will it darken like the
rest of the wood?
If not, any suggestions? (I mean other than being skillful enough that I
don't need filler.)

Odds of it darkening at the same rate and intensity are not good..just a
hunch.
It would probably matter which glue was used as well... again.. just a
hunch.
The PVA would tend to stay lighter than hide-glue... me thinks.
I have seen pva spots show up after a few years...~ahem~... on somebody
else's work.... of course.

I had some success with a small dent and cherry dust and
cyanoacrylate... clean up with acetone.
toller

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article ,
"toller" wrote:

If I make filler by mixing cherry dust with glue, will it darken like the
rest of the wood?
If not, any suggestions? (I mean other than being skillful enough that I
don't need filler.)

Odds of it darkening at the same rate and intensity are not good..just a
hunch.
It would probably matter which glue was used as well... again.. just a
hunch.
The PVA would tend to stay lighter than hide-glue... me thinks.
I have seen pva spots show up after a few years...~ahem~... on somebody
else's work.... of course.

I had some success with a small dent and cherry dust and
cyanoacrylate... clean up with acetone.

I've never used cyanoacrylate for anything like this. I though it had to be
anerobic to cure. Is there a trick to it?

Hax Planks

toller says...

If I make filler by mixing cherry dust with glue, will it darken like the
rest of the wood?
If not, any suggestions? (I mean other than being skillful enough that I
don't need filler.)

You could inlay a new piece of cherry instead of using filler.

toller wrote:
If I make filler by mixing cherry dust with glue, will it darken like

the
rest of the wood?
If not, any suggestions? (I mean other than being skillful enough

that I
don't need filler.)

A forty year old built-in ash bookcase at my mother's house
has developed a nice patina. Right around the joints there
are blotches of lighter wood. They look to me to be where
glue that oozed out was wiped off with a damp rag.

My guess is that there was some glue residue left in the
pores of the wood and they block either UV light, oxygen
or both better than the finish alone.

Based on that, I'd hazard a guess that glue/cherry dust wood
filler will not darken just like the surrounding cherry.

I suggest using3 lb shellac and wood flour for filler, and
put at least one coat of shellac on the piece as a first
coat when finishing.

--

FF

Robatoy

In article ,
"toller" wrote:

I've never used cyanoacrylate for anything like this. I though it had to be
anerobic to cure. Is there a trick to it?

It is moisture activated, I think 7% will do it. There are accelerators
available, just for wood. It is a part of this cyenoacrylate system:
http://www.mcfaddens.com/Workshop/mitrebond.htm
I think it's water.
toller

wrote in message
oups.com...

toller wrote:
[...]

Actually just opposite. I made paste out of varnish, glue, and shellac; and
then put samples out in the sun for a week. The varnish and glue got very
dark very fast. The shellac darkened sorta like the cherry, so you are
correct that is the right choice.

Why shellac as a first coat? I can do that of course, but wonder about the
reason.

BTW. I bit the bullet and ran the edge through the jointer 8 times to blow
by the worst of the defect. I didn't do that originally because I was
afraid of hitting a biscuit; but decided the biscuit would be no worse than
the defect. It is still not perfect, but much better.

toller wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

I suggest using3 lb shellac and wood flour for filler, and
put at least one coat of shellac on the piece as a first
coat when finishing.

Actually just opposite. I made paste out of varnish, glue, and

shellac; and
then put samples out in the sun for a week. The varnish and glue got

very
dark very fast. The shellac darkened sorta like the cherry, so you

are
correct that is the right choice.

OK.

Why shellac as a first coat? I can do that of course, but wonder

about the
reason.

Three reasons.

1) Since there is shellac in the wood filler going over the whole
piece with shellac provides a uniform effect and base for the next
coat.

2) Shellac resists the diffusion of water vapor better than other
finishes. A first coat of shellac helps to stabilize the project.

3) Shellac sticks well and dries on pretty much all wood. Some
woods (Cherry is not one) interfere with the proper curing of oil
finishes varnishes or lacquers. Sealing the surface with shellac
avoids that problem. Shellac also has a reputation for helping to
stop resins from seeping out of softwoods forming blisters under the
finish. Again, not a problem with Cherry. Pretty much all finishes
go well on top of _dewaxed_ shellac so it is nearly universally
appropriate as a first coat. Do you use the 3 lb shellac as
the coat, however, dilute it to 1 or 1 1/2 lbs, much easier to manage.

Shellac's weaknesses are alcohol and liquid water. The former will
lift it, and the later will make milky spots on it. So for a lot
of applications you need to put something else over the top.

--

FF

toller

wrote in message
ups.com...

toller wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Thanks

Toro / Briggs&Stratton Stuck Oil Filler Cap Filipo Home Repair 12 June 11th 19 07:44 PM
wood filler question Bruce Woodworking 2 February 16th 04 02:05 PM
To use plasterboard filler or not James W UK diy 3 January 5th 04 08:59 PM
Is there any such thing as a wood filler that doesn't crack? Alex UK diy 1 September 9th 03 05:31 PM
Removing flexible filler spog UK diy 2 September 6th 03 01:00 PM