James W

Default To use plasterboard filler or not

I always thought that before you skim coat a wall/ceiling of
plasterboard, you need to put skrim over the edges/gaps in the board
and pop some filler in the gaps. Its normal straight edge board btw.
I've just seen a plastering video, and the chap on there was skimming
over the skrim, with no filler in the gaps.

Is this normal? Is the filler only necessary if there are large gaps
between the boards?

Thanks in advance

James
Christian McArdle

I always thought that before you skim coat a wall/ceiling of
plasterboard, you need to put skrim over the edges/gaps in the
board and pop some filler in the gaps.

I thought you had two available methods:

1. Tape and fill gap (taper edge board)
2. Tape and skim. (straight edge board)

I didn't think you needed to tape, fill AND skim. But then, I'm no
plasterer. I'll be trying some soon, so I'd actually quite like to know the
definitive answer!

Christian.

steve

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
et...
I always thought that before you skim coat a wall/ceiling of
plasterboard, you need to put skrim over the edges/gaps in the
board and pop some filler in the gaps.

I thought you had two available methods:

1. Tape and fill gap (taper edge board)
2. Tape and skim. (straight edge board)

I didn't think you needed to tape, fill AND skim. But then, I'm no
plasterer. I'll be trying some soon, so I'd actually quite like to know

the
definitive answer!

From my experience with square edge board you should tape fill and then skim
particulary if the gap between boards is say 5mm. I have noticed this more
so on ceilings that where I don`t fill the gaps - the plaster sags slightly
where the gap is (presumably because there is more plaster at that point).
If I fill first, then the surface is even all the way across & I don`t see
any 'sag' points.

Steve

Plasterboard and studding wall Smithtv UK diy 1 October 13th 03 01:56 PM
Is there any such thing as a wood filler that doesn't crack? Alex UK diy 1 September 9th 03 05:31 PM
Removing flexible filler spog UK diy 2 September 6th 03 01:00 PM
Plastic filler (grout) round bath? Alan Holmes UK diy 1 August 10th 03 02:10 PM
Fixing plasterboard straight onto a wall Chris Harris UK diy 3 July 10th 03 11:18 PM