toller

wrote in message
oups.com...

toller wrote:
If I make filler by mixing cherry dust with glue, will it darken like

the
rest of the wood?
If not, any suggestions? (I mean other than being skillful enough

that I
don't need filler.)

A forty year old built-in ash bookcase at my mother's house
has developed a nice patina. Right around the joints there
are blotches of lighter wood. They look to me to be where
glue that oozed out was wiped off with a damp rag.

My guess is that there was some glue residue left in the
pores of the wood and they block either UV light, oxygen
or both better than the finish alone.

Based on that, I'd hazard a guess that glue/cherry dust wood
filler will not darken just like the surrounding cherry.

I suggest using3 lb shellac and wood flour for filler, and
put at least one coat of shellac on the piece as a first
coat when finishing.

Actually just opposite. I made paste out of varnish, glue, and shellac; and
then put samples out in the sun for a week. The varnish and glue got very
dark very fast. The shellac darkened sorta like the cherry, so you are
correct that is the right choice.

Why shellac as a first coat? I can do that of course, but wonder about the
reason.

BTW. I bit the bullet and ran the edge through the jointer 8 times to blow
by the worst of the defect. I didn't do that originally because I was
afraid of hitting a biscuit; but decided the biscuit would be no worse than
the defect. It is still not perfect, but much better.