Woodworking Plans and Photos (alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking) - Show off or just share photos of your hard work.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 392
Default Woodworking at its best.....

Making way for more sunshine.
What a task.
john
  #2   Report Post  
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 850
Default Woodworking at its best.....


"jloomis" wrote in message
...
Making way for more sunshine.
What a task.
john


Keep the turners away from that wood pile or you'll have nothing to burn!

John

  #3   Report Post  
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 499
Default Woodworking at its best.....

On 02/01/2012 05:08 PM, jloomis wrote:
Making way for more sunshine.
What a task.
john


Lotta nice bowls in that pile! What kind of tree was it? Sure wish I
lived nearby...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
In a recent survey, 7 out of 10 hard drives preferred Linux
Registered Linux User No: 307357, http://linuxcounter.net
  #4   Report Post  
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 392
Default Woodworking at its best.....

These are small trees. About14"- 24" across.
It is redwood and fir.
Not a hard wood.
If the grain were tighter it may be a good thing although these trees are in
the 30 to 40 year range.
I would have saved it for lumber also but being wide grain was not worth it
to me.
john

"Kevin Miller" wrote in message ...

On 02/01/2012 05:08 PM, jloomis wrote:
Making way for more sunshine.
What a task.
john


Lotta nice bowls in that pile! What kind of tree was it? Sure wish I
lived nearby...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
In a recent survey, 7 out of 10 hard drives preferred Linux
Registered Linux User No: 307357, http://linuxcounter.net

  #5   Report Post  
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 133
Default Woodworking at its best.....

jloomis wrote:

Making way for more sunshine.
What a task.
john



Since its redwood and fir, I am not sure I would be drooling to get my hands
on some to turn. Though I must admit, I have never turned any redwood, it
could be okay. Fir, no thanks.

Deb


  #6   Report Post  
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 499
Default Woodworking at its best.....

On 02/02/2012 06:24 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:
jloomis wrote:

Making way for more sunshine.
What a task.
john



Since its redwood and fir, I am not sure I would be drooling to get my hands
on some to turn. Though I must admit, I have never turned any redwood, it
could be okay. Fir, no thanks.


If there were any burls on the redwood it would be nice to turn. It's
soft, so lends itself more to artistic pieces than utility ones. Bill
Luce does some really nice stuff with fir, but like you, I don't have
any particular desire to turn it.

It would go well with my fireplace though...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
"In the history of the world, no one has ever washed a rented car."
- Lawrence Summers
  #7   Report Post  
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 576
Default Woodworking at its best.....

On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 18:08:14 -0800, "jloomis"
wrote:

Making way for more sunshine.
What a task.
john


I found it's gotten a lot easier to do that work since I got a small
excavator. 8-)

Mike M
  #8   Report Post  
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 392
Default Woodworking at its best.....

Totally agree.....It is very hard on the body.
I like the small track Kabota.......
Nice machines......actually they are quite the work horse.
john

"Mike M" wrote in message
...

On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 18:08:14 -0800, "jloomis"
wrote:

Making way for more sunshine.
What a task.
john


I found it's gotten a lot easier to do that work since I got a small
excavator. 8-)

Mike M

  #9   Report Post  
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 576
Default Woodworking at its best.....

On Thu, 2 Feb 2012 13:01:50 -0800, "jloomis"
wrote:

Totally agree.....It is very hard on the body.
I like the small track Kabota.......
Nice machines......actually they are quite the work horse.
john

"Mike M" wrote in message
.. .

On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 18:08:14 -0800, "jloomis"
wrote:

Making way for more sunshine.
What a task.
john


I found it's gotten a lot easier to do that work since I got a small
excavator. 8-)

Mike M


Funny you should say that as that is what I got. And they have 4 year
zero % interest. I can pretty much make the monthly payments just
doing odd job for my neighbors. Live in an area with a lot of rocks,
stumps and trees. 5 acre minimum. Not trying to be in business so it
works well for all.

Mike M
  #10   Report Post  
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 392
Default Woodworking at its best.....

Interesting. I may have to look into this.
Did you buy a trailer too?
You know it all adds up.
Then the differing buckets, and devices they sell.
I like the auger too.
Jeesh the price keeps going up.
john

How much did you pay.
I have 5 acres of trees, and stumps....

"Mike M" wrote in message
...

On Thu, 2 Feb 2012 13:01:50 -0800, "jloomis"
wrote:

Totally agree.....It is very hard on the body.
I like the small track Kabota.......
Nice machines......actually they are quite the work horse.
john

"Mike M" wrote in message
.. .

On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 18:08:14 -0800, "jloomis"
wrote:

Making way for more sunshine.
What a task.
john


I found it's gotten a lot easier to do that work since I got a small
excavator. 8-)

Mike M


Funny you should say that as that is what I got. And they have 4 year
zero % interest. I can pretty much make the monthly payments just
doing odd job for my neighbors. Live in an area with a lot of rocks,
stumps and trees. 5 acre minimum. Not trying to be in business so it
works well for all.

Mike M



  #11   Report Post  
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 576
Default Woodworking at its best.....

On Fri, 3 Feb 2012 07:41:28 -0800, "jloomis"
wrote:

Interesting. I may have to look into this.
Did you buy a trailer too?
You know it all adds up.
Then the differing buckets, and devices they sell.
I like the auger too.
Jeesh the price keeps going up.
john

How much did you pay.
I have 5 acres of trees, and stumps....

"Mike M" wrote in message
.. .

On Thu, 2 Feb 2012 13:01:50 -0800, "jloomis"
wrote:

Totally agree.....It is very hard on the body.
I like the small track Kabota.......
Nice machines......actually they are quite the work horse.
john

"Mike M" wrote in message
. ..

On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 18:08:14 -0800, "jloomis"
wrote:

Making way for more sunshine.
What a task.
john


I found it's gotten a lot easier to do that work since I got a small
excavator. 8-)

Mike M


Funny you should say that as that is what I got. And they have 4 year
zero % interest. I can pretty much make the monthly payments just
doing odd job for my neighbors. Live in an area with a lot of rocks,
stumps and trees. 5 acre minimum. Not trying to be in business so it
works well for all.

Mike M


I actually picked up a 14' 14K LB dump trailer with ramps. Now I load
it up haul all the old wood to the recycler, costs $18-24.00 to dump
it and I'm home in an hour. I can take old rotten stuff and to burn
6-8 yards of that stuff is a week end job. 2 years ago the trailer
was only $6100 plus taxes ect. I'm on social security disablility
which is how I justified, but with trades and working for a tree guy
hauling chips like I say its pretty much free. Kubota really values
there parts. I have a 12" and 24" bucket. Unless I'm digging I
mostly use the 12" especially for placing rocks. I picked up B3200 as
well with a loader and backhoe with a thumb. I bought that first but
it couldn't do the heavier work. But still like having the loader,
and the rock rake and back blade come in handy, If I get a chance
I'll try to post some pictures. Did get a sweet deal on the
excavator, the dealer brought it in on a promotion and had to pay for
it in two days so I got it pretty much at cost plus B&O taxes.

Mike M
  #12   Report Post  
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 392
Default Woodworking at its best.....

Post some pictures.
Sounds like a nice set-up.
I have been over tempted to get yet another tool, and a kabota would be it.
I have 5 acres and many stumps, and hill and dale.
I want to build more road access also although the Kabota is small for that,
it could work.
I have paid my friend over 75.00 to 100.00 per hr. to come and do work for
me.
He has a 350 Ford with a dump bed, pulls a trailer and the kabota.
I like the auger, and the wide buckets and also he has a cement breaker that
is awsome.
john

"Mike M" wrote in message
...

On Fri, 3 Feb 2012 07:41:28 -0800, "jloomis"
wrote:

Interesting. I may have to look into this.
Did you buy a trailer too?
You know it all adds up.
Then the differing buckets, and devices they sell.
I like the auger too.
Jeesh the price keeps going up.
john

How much did you pay.
I have 5 acres of trees, and stumps....

"Mike M" wrote in message
.. .

On Thu, 2 Feb 2012 13:01:50 -0800, "jloomis"
wrote:

Totally agree.....It is very hard on the body.
I like the small track Kabota.......
Nice machines......actually they are quite the work horse.
john

"Mike M" wrote in message
. ..

On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 18:08:14 -0800, "jloomis"
wrote:

Making way for more sunshine.
What a task.
john


I found it's gotten a lot easier to do that work since I got a small
excavator. 8-)

Mike M


Funny you should say that as that is what I got. And they have 4 year
zero % interest. I can pretty much make the monthly payments just
doing odd job for my neighbors. Live in an area with a lot of rocks,
stumps and trees. 5 acre minimum. Not trying to be in business so it
works well for all.

Mike M


I actually picked up a 14' 14K LB dump trailer with ramps. Now I load
it up haul all the old wood to the recycler, costs $18-24.00 to dump
it and I'm home in an hour. I can take old rotten stuff and to burn
6-8 yards of that stuff is a week end job. 2 years ago the trailer
was only $6100 plus taxes ect. I'm on social security disablility
which is how I justified, but with trades and working for a tree guy
hauling chips like I say its pretty much free. Kubota really values
there parts. I have a 12" and 24" bucket. Unless I'm digging I
mostly use the 12" especially for placing rocks. I picked up B3200 as
well with a loader and backhoe with a thumb. I bought that first but
it couldn't do the heavier work. But still like having the loader,
and the rock rake and back blade come in handy, If I get a chance
I'll try to post some pictures. Did get a sweet deal on the
excavator, the dealer brought it in on a promotion and had to pay for
it in two days so I got it pretty much at cost plus B&O taxes.

Mike M

  #13   Report Post  
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 576
Default Woodworking at its best.....

Here's a few pictures of the equipment. The stump is one of the
biggest I've taken out todate. It was a 130' tall 4 headed Medusa
topped hemlock right next to the shop. Removed some trees so I could
put an additon onto the existing shop building. The stump in the
trailer is from one of the trees. I actually had to rent a bigger
excavator get the big one out we estimated it at over 2 tons. The old
growth easy easier as long as its rotted enough to split.

Mike M

http://s1185.photobucket.com/albums/...der/Equipment/



On Fri, 3 Feb 2012 17:45:54 -0800, "jloomis"
wrote:

Post some pictures.
Sounds like a nice set-up.
I have been over tempted to get yet another tool, and a kabota would be it.
I have 5 acres and many stumps, and hill and dale.
I want to build more road access also although the Kabota is small for that,
it could work.
I have paid my friend over 75.00 to 100.00 per hr. to come and do work for
me.
He has a 350 Ford with a dump bed, pulls a trailer and the kabota.
I like the auger, and the wide buckets and also he has a cement breaker that
is awsome.
john

"Mike M" wrote in message
.. .

On Fri, 3 Feb 2012 07:41:28 -0800, "jloomis"
wrote:

Interesting. I may have to look into this.
Did you buy a trailer too?
You know it all adds up.
Then the differing buckets, and devices they sell.
I like the auger too.
Jeesh the price keeps going up.
john

How much did you pay.
I have 5 acres of trees, and stumps....

"Mike M" wrote in message
. ..

On Thu, 2 Feb 2012 13:01:50 -0800, "jloomis"
wrote:

Totally agree.....It is very hard on the body.
I like the small track Kabota.......
Nice machines......actually they are quite the work horse.
john

"Mike M" wrote in message
...

On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 18:08:14 -0800, "jloomis"
wrote:

Making way for more sunshine.
What a task.
john

I found it's gotten a lot easier to do that work since I got a small
excavator. 8-)

Mike M


Funny you should say that as that is what I got. And they have 4 year
zero % interest. I can pretty much make the monthly payments just
doing odd job for my neighbors. Live in an area with a lot of rocks,
stumps and trees. 5 acre minimum. Not trying to be in business so it
works well for all.

Mike M


I actually picked up a 14' 14K LB dump trailer with ramps. Now I load
it up haul all the old wood to the recycler, costs $18-24.00 to dump
it and I'm home in an hour. I can take old rotten stuff and to burn
6-8 yards of that stuff is a week end job. 2 years ago the trailer
was only $6100 plus taxes ect. I'm on social security disablility
which is how I justified, but with trades and working for a tree guy
hauling chips like I say its pretty much free. Kubota really values
there parts. I have a 12" and 24" bucket. Unless I'm digging I
mostly use the 12" especially for placing rocks. I picked up B3200 as
well with a loader and backhoe with a thumb. I bought that first but
it couldn't do the heavier work. But still like having the loader,
and the rock rake and back blade come in handy, If I get a chance
I'll try to post some pictures. Did get a sweet deal on the
excavator, the dealer brought it in on a promotion and had to pay for
it in two days so I got it pretty much at cost plus B&O taxes.

Mike M


  #14   Report Post  
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 44
Default Woodworking at its best..... - Castle de Stump.jpg (0/1)

On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 18:08:14 -0800, "jloomis"
wrote:

Making way for more sunshine.
What a task.
john



Could've tried this...
  #15   Report Post  
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 44
Default Woodworking at its best..... - Castle de Stump.jpg (1/1)



Attached Thumbnails
Woodworking at its best.....-castle-de-stump-jpg  


  #16   Report Post  
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Woodworking at its best..... - Castle de Stump.jpg (1/1)

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 23:46:06 -0500, Buddy wrote:

Why build it when you can photoshop it. But it does look good too bad
it is not real.
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General Woodworking Tools - Lowered height of woodworking tools Upscale Woodworking 8 November 29th 07 08:23 PM
OT - Rec.woodworking BBQ J T Woodworking 1 October 2nd 07 07:14 PM
Woodworking KarinaSelena Woodworking 0 September 2nd 07 07:02 AM
New woodworking newsgroup for all ages fam.woodworking Susan Welchel Woodworking 67 July 25th 05 06:58 PM
3rd RFD: rec.woodworking.all-ages (was: rec.woodworking.moderated) mbrooks Woodturning 10 September 22nd 04 10:57 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"